SARS-Cov-2/Covid-19 and Travel

HMD1056

Mike and Carol, you are so correct!  So much has changed in two weeks.  And with state and local campgrounds closing in so many states, there isn't a lot of options as to where to park and camp.  Healthwise, for many it wouldn't be smart to be away from medical facilities.  Unless small groups would agree to camp near...not too near...each other and watch out for each other, it is probably not safe anymore either. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We are on the Gulf of Mexico due south of Tallahassee.  We began our journey departing Maine on February 3rd with plans to visit Charleston, Savannah, the Keys, Naples, Tampa, Destin, Gulfport, New Orleans, Natchez and the Trace, Nashville, and then to the Oliver Rally and then home.

We did get to Charleston, Savannah, the Keys, Naples and Tampa.

We are leaving here tomorrow for home.  With limited services and most everything closing, to us, it just seems best to head home. 

We will end our trip 2 months early and that is disappointing. 

However, the 45 days on our first camping trip in our Ollie has been great.  We learned a lot and met some very nice folks.  We stayed in Cracker Barrels, State Parks, RV resorts, and private campgrounds.  It has been an adventure.  We learned about our Oliver.  We hooked up, used a dump station, learned how to use the Andersen hitch, greased our Dexter suspension, fixed a broken tongue jack (operator error) and had our refrigerator serviced in the keys. 

We will return to Maine to wait this out and hope to remain healthy and enjoy a great summer.

We will plan to go back back out next winter and finish part of the trip we didn't get to do this year, go further and do more next year.

Stay healthy!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Update in WA State Parks and Campgrounds.

March 22, 2020

The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission (Parks), Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced the closure of all state campgrounds across Washington to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Campgrounds will remain closed through April 30.

The closure includes roofed accommodations like cabins, yurts and vacation houses.

No new campers will be allowed into Parks, WDFW or DNR lands beginning Monday, March 23. Current campers will be phased out following instructions from land officials.

Day-use areas and trails remain open. Due to the volume of people visiting Washington’s ocean beaches, we are asking the public to avoid those areas. People should continue to practice social distancing when recreating outdoors. 

STATE PARKS

Campers who have state parks reservations through April 30 will be notified and offered a full refund. Visitors can find the latest information about State Park operations on this page. 

DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE

Although camping is not allowed, WDFW wildlife areas and water-access areas remain open for public use at this time. However, due to theft and increased usage of their restrooms, visitors should plan to bring their own hand sanitizer and toilet paper. For the latest information about WDFW operations, visit the WDFW website. 

DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES

DNR’s camping will be closed to dedicated camping areas and dispersed camping or camping outside of designated camp sites. For the most up-to-date information for DNR lands, visit DNR’s website. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

David and I left NH Feb 16 intending to camp in the south-eastern and gulf states working our way over to Mississippi and then coming back on the Natchez Trace Parkway, attend the rally in Alabama, then slowly camp our way back to NH, arriving home in mid-June. Then the rally was postponed and campgrounds began closing. Several days ago we decided that ending our trip and heading home was the wiser thing to do. We reached NH yesterday afternoon, sad to have our first real trip cut so short but we had great fun and learned a lot about our Ollie (happy we had brought the manuals with us!).  It is time to stay home to help protect as many people as possible. Hope you all are well and planning your next trip.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• Moderator+
On 3/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, Landrover said:

Also flatten the curve? When are we going to flatten the curve on 1600 people dyeing  from cancer every day. 900 deaths a day in vehicle fatalities. On an on. Social media blitz to up ratings. I’ll still be at the park on those days and will enjoy the quite.😎

I'm not sure your're understanding "flattening the curve". This is about utilization of hospital beds and staff. If 500 people get sick in 3 days and all go to a single hospital, it would overwhelm the staff.  If the same same scenario were to occur over a 60 day period it would not have the same effect on the hospital beds or staff. 

I understand your concern for those dying from cancer and car wrecks. But, most of the 1600 people you mention are already in a health care situation so whatever curve is involved has already be absorbed into the daily flow. The "900 deaths a day in vehicle fatalities" are dead at the scene and don't impact hospital bed usage and there is no curve to deal with.

If you really want to be concerned about something that could easily be fixed, consider the seasonal flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year. Where's our outrage about that? The CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine and taking everyday preventive steps to help stop the spread of germs such as staying home (sound familiar) when you're sick.  In my health care career, one of my job responsibilities during flu season was to ask patients if they'd had their flu shot. Most said they had had or wanted one. But a good number of people would refuse using any number of excuses. I never heard a reasonable one.

Anytime there is a new emerging infectious disease that is shrouded in mystery with a lot of unknowns, it captivates people in a way that a regular virus that people deal with on a yearly basis won’t.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Update -

So, with a popular State park just a few miles down the street, we took a drive through the Camping areas out of curiosity (after a hike on the remote trail)  To my surprise there were a fair amount folks enjoying the park. From the number of "reserved" notices on the site poles, the place was pretty full last  (50%) weekend. License plates included were  AL and TN mostly, but also a NY. probably about 20-30% full on a Tuesday.  The sites are fairly dispersed, plenty of space. 

The park's  trail system runs from paved walkways in the forest, and near the roads, and a couple that are true backpacking - out and back 20 miles plus. I regularly run one of these, and I am usually the only one (The dog and I) on the  remote trail, however, the paved walking paths are seeing  some  daily activity, and yes, the folks are maintaining their distancing.  Seems as work is off limits, fresh air and space is a good alternative. 

Be safe out there, keep active, maintain your social distance, and try to maintain your sanity.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

16 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

If you really want to be concerned about something that could easily be fixed, consider the seasonal flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year. Where's our outrage about that? The CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine and taking everyday preventive steps to help stop the spread of germs such as staying home (sound familiar) when you're sick.  In my health care career, one of my job responsibilities during flu season was to ask patients if they'd had their flu shot. Most said they had had or wanted one. But a good number of people would refuse using any number of excuses. I never heard a reasonable one.

I'm a bit late to the conversation on this, been busy with other things to think about camping unfortunately. And of course about the time I am ready all H*ll breaks loose with this disease. 

Steve you make some good points on this but I would also add the only time I have ever gotten a flu shot, while not serving in the armed forces in my younger years, I ended up with the worse case of flu ever. There were a couple of nights honestly I had my doubts I would wake up in the morning. This was some 15-20 years ago. Never had another flu shot since and for the most part other than an occasional cold stay fairly healthy. My wife and I do eat a very health diet and get exercise regularly. I don't know if this qualifies as a reasonable excuse but its the one I am sticking with for now. 

Its also worth pointing out that flu shots/vaccines are only about 40-60% effective depending on the year, the disease and a host of other factors. They are NOT 100% effective and nowhere near it. 

Regardless I hope all stay well and healthy and hope this dreaded situation ends soon. 

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

One other comment. As of this morning Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton are now closed to the public. Not sure about Glacier NP have not heard anything about that. Its not a particularly great time of year to be camping in either of these parks this time of year anyway. Been snowing off and on for the 3 days. I'm over that part.

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Overland said:

An empty Yellowstone with snow is my kind of park.  

We were at Yosemite in February a year ago.  Nobody there, mild weather, great time to to be there.  Several feet of snow the day after we left!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 5 weeks later...

We are headed out to a Georgia state park this coming Monday for 3 days.   I don’t see where camping in ones RV is a big deal. I can see issues with groups, etc.  My one comment would be that a one size fits all set of restrictions is not necessarily appropriate.  It is easier to communicate and “implement” so probably is why officials do it. We have a daughter in health care and told her we were going camping. She had much more of an issue with me going to Lowe’s for house projects than camping. 

• Like 2

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

We heard some positive news this morning that our National Parks are in the process of opening back up. 
Hopefully this is accurate.

-Patriot

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

It looks like the only superintendents talking about that are Teton and Yellowstone, which are two extremely political positions, so they may just be trying to keep the locals happy.  It’s possible, but there’d be a ton of work to do at this point to get seasonal help back, for both the parks and for ARA/Xanterra. Perhaps they could open the gates but with limited amenities?  I don’t know, I could see something like backcountry access at parks like Big Bend reopening pretty safely, but it seems reckless to me at this point to think about opening major parks - Yellowstone is basically Disney with bison in terms of the crowds it attracts.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

With the other end of the curve in sight ??? I would like to talk about the travel and camping possibilities for the future - it seems a new thread is in order - so I'll start one, if this is ok, if not- the moderators will adjust I'm sure.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201