Timken Wheel Bearings - USA manufacture.

7 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

I guess that you could just keep buying the Chinese no name bearings and just replace them every year. I just don’t like having to do it on the side of the road. Anyway, 

Ken,

After changing the out  left side in my garage, I totally agree. bearings are simple, replacing the races, is not so easy -  esp on the side of the road, or in a rv park. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

This is my last post to this topic : here is the reply from  Timken, and it settles the issue. From the Timken rep:

"Russell-   thank you for submitting the photos. After reviewing the identification data shown in the photos I can confirm that the product shown in the photos is genuine Timken product manufactured in the USA in mid-late 2019 and appears to have been stored adequately. I would only be speculating as to how RBV Bearings sourced this product outside of normal procurement channels since RBV is an unauthorized distribution source. Going forward I would be cautious of any distribution source that does not clearly state they are an authorized Timken distributor."

RBV should be RDV, purchased through Amazon.

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

BoB, thanks for that info. I think that a local authorized bearing supplier, if you have easy access to one, is the way to go for real peace of mind. At least with a guy in a real brick and mortar store , you can go back and talk to him if there is ever an issue. These shops have a good reputation to maintain, unlike a shadow Amazon "store". Remember that Timken is a wholesaler, they never sell direct, so if an online store calls itself "Timken" be uber-suspicious. 

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

From Timken regarding my bearings purchased through Amazon

Thank you for the clear pictures.  I can confirm that all the markings line up with the packaging and everything appears to be genuine Timken product. In the future, please take the extra time to purchase from an authorized distributor.“

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting to talk to the Timken rep about seals. National receives the seals, in bulk, wrapped with a piece of plastic from their contract suppliers in Taiwan and other places. National then packages the seals into boxes that Timken provides. The Timken seal boxes do not have QR codes, but DO have the word "Timken" in the latitude and longitude lines on the rear of the box. The seals I had purchased from Amazon were clearly counterfeit as there was Chinese script in the lat/long lines. Returned them, got my money back and reordered from a different Amazon seller. Those were legit. Mission complete...

• Like 1

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, BackofBeyond said:

Seems there is  a good amount of conversation concerning wheel bearing quality. I'm not gonna argue, for or against,  but I did manage to find USA made Timken bearings, on the WWW  site that sounds like Paragon...… but starts with an Amaz  ..... mine came from RDV bearings - set 4 - are the L44649/L44610 and set 17  - are the L6811/L68149. About $22 per wheel not including seals. With Prime shipping is free.

For what it's worth - they look to be visibly superior to the china bearings I purchased.

RB

RB:  Should your L6811 actually Be L68111?  Thanks

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Just for grins I ordered 4 "Timken" 477336 seals that are shipped directly from Amazon.

That I received was  this....one orange marked TIMKEN on the rubber but no stamps on metal (Box said Made in Taiwan) ...and 3 red stamped NATIONAL 477336. (Box Said Made in Mexico).

(All are going back to Amazon with a return note about counterfeit items they are shipping.)

I've also ordered from my local shop the same seals and I'll see what turns up.

CS

image.thumb.jpeg.b03021db0af1f2f26df2dcb47c0a490a.jpeg

Edited by Galway Girl
comment update
  • Wow 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

3 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

Just for grins I ordered 4 "Timken" 477336 seals that are shipped directly from Amazon.

That I received was  this....one orange marked TIMKEN on the rubber but no stamps on metal...and 3 red stamped NATIONAL 477336.

(All are going back to Amazon with a return note about counterfeit items they are shipping.)

CS

image.thumb.jpeg.b03021db0af1f2f26df2dcb47c0a490a.jpeg

It's a confusing world these days with mergers, buy-outs and contract manufacturing. I'll muddy the water a little more with my first hand knowledge. My wife used to work for Federal Mogul as a buyer. Federal Mogul used to be National Seal. Even though Federal Mogul manufactures seals today, they can have several names on the packaging. They may be labeled National Seal, or Timken. Federal Mogul was acquired by Tenneco a few years ago and I believe changed the name of the Federal Mogul division to DRiV. For that reason their seals may also have this new name on them. To add to the confusion, Timken also contracts with other manufacturers to produce their products. The point of this is that you likely do have in your possession actual Timken parts. The problem is that it's well documented that Amazon is very unreliable in their sourcing and for that reason everyone has learned to be very cautious when there are discrepancies in packaging. If in doubt you can easily return. The problem is, unlike OEM manufacturers and OEM suppliers, Amazon has zero quality assurance process or supplier verification. Their buyers simply shop price and supply. 

• Like 3

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

20 hours ago, Galway Girl said:

Too bad Amazon played the "Bait and Switch" game - that sucks.  I found TIMKEN's at our local auto supply last week - they had two sets in stock and ordered the other 2 which came the next day.  

Wire brushed the drums real good yesterday, painted them high-temp silver, R&R'd the grease seals...  piece of mind - all good again!  HA!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

IMG_7150.thumb.jpg.ffaae24564060cc3be5c4b4ce13f54a1.jpg

Well... not so fast, MAX!  FULL DISCLOSURE:  After some thought on this thread, I pulled the TIMKEN packaging from the trash bin and learned that these are in fact, made in Taiwan after all.  I really thought that TIMKENs were still made here.  Oh, well....

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

7 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

Well... not so fast, MAX!  FULL DISCLOSURE:  After some thought on this thread, I pulled the TIMKEN packaging from the trash bin and learned that these are in fact, made in Taiwan after all.  I really thought that TIMKENs were still made here.  Oh, well....

Yep, they're made in several countries these days, but are supposed to be to the exact same standards. Spoke to a Timken rep a while back when I was concerned that I had purchased counterfeit bearings and he told me that if I bought through a certified dealer they would be genuine and to not bother using the app to check the labels since it's next to useless. Also said if I wanted piece of mind to check the weight of the bearings and to make sure they match the specs in the their catalogue. Timken should be right on the money no matter where they're made and the counterfeits are usually off by several grams. Checked the ones I was concerned about and they all were exactly the same and matched the specs.  Edit- I should also add that all but one the bearings I was questioning failed the label reading app, and the one that passed took 3 tries to do so.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

I bought a full set of Timken bearings from Summit Racing last year, but haven't got around to installing them yet.  I just went out in the garage to take a look.  The boxes the seals come in are printed Made in Taiwan, the seals themselves are bright orange and have Timken molded into them.  The boxes for the bearings don't have a country specified, but the bearings themselves have USA etched into the top surface.  I bought from Summit because I'd read here that they are a Timken dealer.  Another data point for everyone.

• Thanks 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

I have a habit of keeping a 1-wheel's worth of bearing kit (pre-packed with grease in a zip-lock) along with my bearing tools in the camper in case I wind up spinning a race out in the boonies somewhere.

• Like 2

spacer.png