Timken Wheel Bearings - USA manufacture.

7 hours ago, mountainoliver said:

I guess that you could just keep buying the Chinese no name bearings and just replace them every year. I just don’t like having to do it on the side of the road. Anyway, 

Ken,

After changing the out  left side in my garage, I totally agree. bearings are simple, replacing the races, is not so easy -  esp on the side of the road, or in a rv park. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

This is my last post to this topic : here is the reply from  Timken, and it settles the issue. From the Timken rep:

"Russell-   thank you for submitting the photos. After reviewing the identification data shown in the photos I can confirm that the product shown in the photos is genuine Timken product manufactured in the USA in mid-late 2019 and appears to have been stored adequately. I would only be speculating as to how RBV Bearings sourced this product outside of normal procurement channels since RBV is an unauthorized distribution source. Going forward I would be cautious of any distribution source that does not clearly state they are an authorized Timken distributor."

RBV should be RDV, purchased through Amazon.

Edited by BackofBeyond
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

BoB, thanks for that info. I think that a local authorized bearing supplier, if you have easy access to one, is the way to go for real peace of mind. At least with a guy in a real brick and mortar store , you can go back and talk to him if there is ever an issue. These shops have a good reputation to maintain, unlike a shadow Amazon "store". Remember that Timken is a wholesaler, they never sell direct, so if an online store calls itself "Timken" be uber-suspicious. 

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

From Timken regarding my bearings purchased through Amazon

Thank you for the clear pictures.  I can confirm that all the markings line up with the packaging and everything appears to be genuine Timken product. In the future, please take the extra time to purchase from an authorized distributor.“

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• 2 weeks later...

It was interesting to talk to the Timken rep about seals. National receives the seals, in bulk, wrapped with a piece of plastic from their contract suppliers in Taiwan and other places. National then packages the seals into boxes that Timken provides. The Timken seal boxes do not have QR codes, but DO have the word "Timken" in the latitude and longitude lines on the rear of the box. The seals I had purchased from Amazon were clearly counterfeit as there was Chinese script in the lat/long lines. Returned them, got my money back and reordered from a different Amazon seller. Those were legit. Mission complete...

• Like 1

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, BackofBeyond said:

Seems there is  a good amount of conversation concerning wheel bearing quality. I'm not gonna argue, for or against,  but I did manage to find USA made Timken bearings, on the WWW  site that sounds like Paragon...… but starts with an Amaz  ..... mine came from RDV bearings - set 4 - are the L44649/L44610 and set 17  - are the L6811/L68149. About $22 per wheel not including seals. With Prime shipping is free.

For what it's worth - they look to be visibly superior to the china bearings I purchased.

RB

RB:  Should your L6811 actually Be L68111?  Thanks

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg