Magma Nesting Pots

Sojourner

We keep ours right above the sink, in two stacks - one with the two pans we use the most and then the rest in their bag. We got the nonstick version. I usually prefer the regular since the nonstick stuff eventually wears out, but as little as we’re able to travel now, they don’t get much use. 

4BEAA1F0-1F1E-4717-8D6E-1FD3F9978110.thumb.jpeg.4ee18af0a9243405eaea69d992125bfb.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

We also have the Magma nonstick version, which usually stay on the boat. To protect the coating underway, I used to separate the pots with thin microfiber cloths from Harbor Freight. Then, I  picked up sets of asterisk shaped felt pot protectors on a camping trip to Iceland at the IKEA.  A set could easily and cheaply be made from a yard of polyester felt, sized for your specific pots. 

Screenshot_20200310-084726_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

My set didn't come with the carrying case, but I  see one is available separately. For those of you who have the case, does it allow you to nest the full set without the useful but annoying bungee cord,  and still zip the case? It would be very nice to be able to use the pans without fighting the cord each time. I often use these twice a day on the boat, but they have to be nested to fit in the cabinet behind my stove.

Also, I see a wok/omelet pan available on amazon, that supposedly nests with the rest of the set. My deep wok skillet is one of my favorite skillets at home. The magma version looks like it's not very deep, but at least it could supplement the single saute pan included in the set when cooking breakfast. Anyone have this skillet?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The answer to your first question is yes, you can store them without the bungee.  We also use the felt pads between the pots to keep them from scratching.  It's still a pain to get the pans out, since you have to pull the whole bag down, so I don't know if it's easier or not than the bungee.  

We have both the wok and the pasta strainer; and if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that we can get the whole kit into the bag.  It's a bit more of a puzzle, and I think one of the pieces goes in upside down or something.  We keep the wok and the low saute pan in a separate stack, though, since we use those two all the time.  The wok we pretty much just use for eggs in the morning - I don't know why, just that two eggs seem to sit nicely in the bottom without spreading out, so they're easy to flip.  We don't use one at home, but I'd guess it's on the smaller size compared to standard woks.  It also has a flat bottom area that's maybe 3 or 4 inches diameter, which may make a difference to regular wok users. You can probably get a good idea of the size from the photo above, since it's sitting completely inside of the saute pan.

Edited by Overland

• Moderators

Thanks, Overland. The photo does help. With the lower sides, and small surface area of the wok skillet, I think I will let that idea go. I'll just continue with the pans I have.  But I  do think I'll order the storage bag. Seems like it would be (slightly) easier to use than the bungee and wrapping the set in a towel to keep the outer pan from denting and scratching.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 year later...

We are planning to order a set of Magma nesting pots, but are trying to decide between the regular and non-stick versions. How durable is the non-stick finish in your experience? I know that you shouldn't use metal utensils.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Have not used our Magma set yet but we bought the regular version. Do not like the non-stick finshes on anything. They scratch and we think that the non-stick may not be healthy; Just our opinion though.

I keep my Magma set in the larger drawer under the stove. We have put out plates, bowls and cups in the overhead compartment over the sink-stove area. They seem to be steady on the limited about of road travel so far. May need to re-evaluate that location if the plates move around a lot or we go off paved roads. They are corral plates that are supposedly unbreakable (hopefully).

• Like 1

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• Moderators
On 4/25/2021 at 9:19 PM, Fargoman said:

How durable is the non-stick finish in your experience? I know that you shouldn't use metal utensils

It's a pretty good finish, and it is ptfe free. We bought the nonstick version when it was on sale at a deep discount.  If I  had a do-over, I'd probably get it without the nonstick. I have a few fine scratches on the top rim of the big pot, probably from the lid rubbing during storage and motion. I used to separate them with microfiber towels, which may not have been enough. The pan separators give a thicker cushion.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Something to consider is that you can pretty much wipe the non-stick version clean with a paper towel, and so there's a lot less wasted water when washing.  Like I said above, since we're not full timing or anywhere close, I have to imagine that for us the finish will last for years.  At home, I give a non-stick pan two years at the most, regardless how much you pay for it.  Though we bought some Green Pan cookware recently that is holding up surprisingly well.  

We did stop using the carry case that's in the photo and started using a bungee instead - it's definitely more convenient.

• Like 1