Anderson Anti sway hitch

DJM

I just took delivery on a 2016 Oliver Elite II. It has and Anderson Anti sway hitch. I will be towing it with a 2016 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 liter V8 and a factory tow package and a brake controller.  Various people have told me I don't need the Anderson hitch and I can tow it quite effectively with the bull dog hitch. The transporter brought it to Saint Louis from California without an Anti sway hitch. Why would I need the anti sway hitch? Seems a lot simpler without it. Any advice is appreciated. If anyone can refer me to a URL that discusses this that would be great.   

Oliver Elite II hull # 151 

• Moderators

There are a number of owners towing with an SUV.  The ones with the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg tow without the Andersen because the manufacturer says don’t use a WDH.  There are also half ton truck owners towing without the Andersen.  I would check to see how your suspension handles the tongue weight when you set the trailer on your hitch.  The Andersen can correct any excess dip you may have.  Airbags work too.  I’ve not towed without the Andersen.  I got it for my first truck, a Tacoma, then just kept using it on my two Rams.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

DJM - 

I'm presently looking at the 2019 Tow Ratings in the 2019 Good Sam Guide To Towing.  Obviously this may or may not apply specifically to your 2016 Grand Cherokee but I suspect the numbers are close (see your Owner's Manual).  For the 4 wheel drive model with the 5.7 liter V-8 the tow limit is 7,200 pounds.  So, it appears that you will be OK on that front unless you put way too much "stuff" in your Ollie.  However, the number that "gets" most of us on the decision to use a weight distribution hitch(WDH) (or not) is the hitch weight.  This Good Sam towing guide does not address this point and it is this hitch weight that causes most users of 1/2 ton trucks and similar SUV's to have to use a WDH.  In the case of Ford a WDH is required if the hitch weight is over 500 pounds even though my F-150 has a tow rating of over 12,000 pounds.  

Besides the legal and/or liability issues relating to using or not using a WDH one should also consider the other benefits of WDH usage.  These include the potential for a more consistent and level ride, reduced "Porpoising" (the bouncing of the tow vehicle and trailer usually caused by interstate expansion joints), and as an additional safety measure in the event of emergency driving situations.

Bill

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Adding on to Topgun2 comment:

As you know there are a few parts to the full lashup.

1. The receiver that is on your tow vehicle...it has a rating...
  2. The hitch assembly that plugs into that receiver...various classes
  3. Weight Distribution Assembly ( bars or in the case of Anderson the torsion chains)
  4. Anti Sway Device - (sometimes slider bars, in the case of anderson the Hitch Ball is in a sleeve which provides anti sway.)

You may want to look  in your manual and at the actual receiver and see if there is a tag like the one below from our F150.
In our case, it was on the body of the hitch receiver.

It states the  hitch capacity towing with or without  with a weight distribution setup.

For the example below it says specifically if you are towing
* without a weight distribution hitch it has a 500 LB MAX tongue wt.   
* with a weight distribution hitch it has a 1220 LB  MAX tongue wt.

My Elite II has a 630 LB tongue wt so I must use the WDH to avoid overloading that actual receiver assembly.

324262146_hitchf150.thumb.jpg.f6305148cdda8eefac6c59fc0878531b.jpg

Hope that helps...set context

ctshort09 (Galway Girl)

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

My personal feeling is anything under a 3/4 ton pickup needs a WDH for towing the Oliver. There are many vehicles that people are using for tow vehicles and not using a WDH, will they work, yes on paper they say they will work, but good towing sense says, get the WDH and add a good safety margin above and beyond the factory specs that are for your vehicle.

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

8 hours ago, Trainman said:

My personal feeling is anything under a 3/4 ton pickup needs a WDH for towing the Oliver. There are many vehicles that people are using for tow vehicles and not using a WDH, will they work, yes on paper they say they will work, but good towing sense says, get the WDH and add a good safety margin above and beyond the factory specs that are for your vehicle.

trainman

I agree with trainman. When it comes to safety in general, I would much rather have it and possibly never need it, than need it and wish I had it. I prefer to error on the side of caution.

Enjoy that beautiful Ollie and Happy Camping!

-Patriot

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Use the hitch, at least for first few trips. Then you can disconnect the chains and see how it feels without them. I bet you and your passengers will like it a whole lot better with the Andersen hooked up, especially on deteriorating, choppy freeways.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

FYI: Your 2016 GC has a 115 " wheelbase. The shortest 2016 F150 Supercab or Crew model is 145", and they go up to over 160". My heavy body-on-frame Land Cruiser is even shorter than your Jeep at 112" Even with a super light tongue weight, there is no way I would feel safe towing without the Andersen. Short wheelbase vehicles are inherently way less stable and controllable when used for towing substantially more than their own weight

Enjoy your Ollie, do you have some pics you can share?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

When I switched from my previous 1/2 ton GMC to my 2500 GMC I used the Anderson a few times - mainly for comparison with/without. About the only difference with it  - was the rig felt a little more steady, solid at speed, but not much.  The 1/2 ton got a lot of benefit with the WDH, and I would have used it religiously. 

For anyone needing a WDH, I'll let mine go - cheap. I do not have a use for it with the larger truck. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Check to make sure you don't violate the:

1. Tow Rating
  2. TV Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
  3. TV Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating
  4. TV dead hitch rating

Our Lincoln Navigator L (aka Expedition MAX) was OK on all 4 when I shifted weights around enough.  It still felt MUCH better with the Anderson on and I didn't have to worry as much about how precisely I was at 10% on the tongue weight.

• Like 2

Between Olivers…

4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Use the hitch, at least for first few trips. Then you can disconnect the chains and see how it feels without them. I bet you and your passengers will like it a whole lot better with the Andersen hooked up, especially on deteriorating, choppy freeways.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/equipment/hitches/towing-weight-distribution-systems.htm

FYI: Your 2016 GC has a 115 " wheelbase. The shortest 2016 F150 Supercab or Crew model is 145", and they go up to over 160". My heavy body-on-frame Land Cruiser is even shorter than your Jeep at 112" Even with a super light tongue weight, there is no way I would feel safe towing without the Andersen. Short wheelbase vehicles are inherently way less stable and controllable when used for towing substantially more than their own weight

Enjoy your Ollie, do you have some pics you can share?

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

That link was extremely helpful for someone like me who is new to weight distribution hitches.

Thank you for posting,

David

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg