Andersen hitch help

Blum-Anderson

On 10/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, SteveCr said:

For my set up, I tighten the nuts until I have eight exposed threads. 

Steve

Steve and a lot of other newer owners:   PLEASE PLEASE go to your account and enter you trailer type, hull number, and tow vehicle info.  This info is very helpful for assisting others with problems they may have.   

Steve:  Assuming your Anderson was set up properly, needing 8 threads is pretty extreme.  What is your Anderson ball drop (Height above ground unhitched  less hitched height?

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

GJ - 

Yes, I too added a couple of those links for the safety cables on my F-150.  Indeed, they certainly do make attaching those cable and even the safety brake cable much easier on the Ford - I never even really think about that step anymore.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 3/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, Mike and Carol said:

I routinely lift the back of my truck with the trailer jack.  Not far, maybe an inch at most after the truck goes to normal level.  Usually, just until the chains have some slack.  It can’t be much weight.

I’ve found the key to easy hook up is to get the truck and trailer aligned.

Ditto this. I have discovered that raising the connected coupler above normal connection level will unseat the ball wedge making the triangle plate easy to turn by hand when reconnecting.

• Like 1

• Moderators

GJ and topgun2,  I would suggest you re-think you F150 safety chain connection.  The quick links you are using are rated at 3300 lbs. WLL and I believe  a single trailer safety chain should be rated for the weight of the entire trailer.  I am sure you have seen postings here on the forum about the Anderson WDH's with chain extensions connected with 3/8” quick links failing.  Have you explored hammer links?  If not take a look below to see an example and compare the safe WLL.  They would solve your F150 safety chain connection safely.

Mossey

5C3A41A3-2CBB-432B-A523-F6753B2A8725.thumb.jpeg.e0fb68f4950f5209e4a78bdddfb35eec.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

I would suggest you re-think you F150 safety chain connection.  The quick links you are using are rated at 3300 lbs. WLL

I  just carry a couple of 1/2" quick links for this purpose. They're strong enough and  also fit the safety chains hooks and hitch loops better.

1 hour ago, bhncb said:

I  just carry a couple of 1/2" quick links for this purpose. They're strong enough and  also fit the safety chains hooks and hitch loops better.

Correct.  That's exactly what my last sentence hinted at.  I had not seen the Hammer or Dura Links.  I loved the review comment from Amazon Qwork links:  "Perfect for Ford owners and those with a hitch developed by a desk jockey."  That reviewer hit the nail on the head.  

Do you use the 7100 WLL or 12,000?  I assume both would work with our safety cable hooks?

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
10 hours ago, mossemi said:

GJ and topgun2,  I would suggest you re-think you F150 safety chain connection.

Actually, Patriot put me on to the "hammer links" several months ago.

Unfortunately, I've still not done anything about it.  My bad!

Bill

• Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Do you use the 7100 WLL or 12,000?  I assume both would work with our safety cable hooks?

I use 3/8” safety chains with a 24,000 lb. breaking strength with hooks that fit my Toyota so I don’t need hammer links, but if I did need either of them, I would buy the size that my hooks would fit in as either size would meet my safety requirements.
For the Andersen chain extensions, I used 3/8” heavy duty twin link clevis repair links with a working load limit of 6600 lbs.

Maybe Patriot will chime in with the size he is using with his F250 Tremor that topgun2 referenced above.

This LINK will take you a different brand, but it does provide size information for your reference.

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”