Lifetime Warranty vs buying used and savings gained

Pitch

I spoke with sales at Oliver Travel Trailers inquiring about ordering a new Elite II. The purchase would be my first RV. Another option is acquiring a well cared for used RV but Oliver suggested I consider the added value of the lifetime warranty which I learned is not transferable. I suspect some owners have considered new vs used and I’d appreciate the observations of the community. I’m not in a rush to acquire an Oliver so waiting for the suitable used rig with the options I prefer is acceptable considering the savings I will reap. Thank you for your comments and insights. Sincerely, James 

We pick up our new Ollie in July.  My wife and I have talked about looking at each of the used Olivers that have been available in the last six months.  Most of the trailers have been in the $50K to $62K being anywhere from 1 year to 6 years old.  We have been tempted to inquire seriously about buying one, but it is never exactly like what we want.  We have owned 7 campers in our life between pop-ups, 27' trailer, and 35' motor home, and this camper will probably be our last purchase so we are getting exactly what we want.   The bottom line is "will you be satisfied with your purchase?".  Nothing worse than making a substantial purchase and then start second guessing yourself and wishing you would have waited.  If you can find exactly what would make you happy, then used is great, if not the additional $10K -$15K will be money well spent knowing how well they hold their value.

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

28 minutes ago, gatorewc said:

We pick up our new Ollie in July.  My wife and I have talked about looking at each of the used Olivers that have been available in the last six months.  Most of the trailers have been in the $50K to $62K being anywhere from 1 year to 6 years old.  We have been tempted to inquire seriously about buying one, but it is never exactly like what we want.  We have owned 7 campers in our life between pop-ups, 27' trailer, and 35' motor home, and this camper will probably be our last purchase so we are getting exactly what we want.   The bottom line is "will you be satisfied with your purchase?".  Nothing worse than making a substantial purchase and then start second guessing yourself and wishing you would have waited.  If you can find exactly what would make you happy, then used is great, if not the additional $10K -$15K will be money well spent knowing how well they hold their value.

I had the same choice to make. I looked at a two year old Oliver, used prices are still up since there is no book value on them.  People can ask what they want. Which is a good thing for selling used.  My thought was i would probably put in money to change things upgrades etc. for the price difference I chose new. Order what you want from the start. It worked out great for me. #484

Edited by Landrover

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

Oliver has been good about fixing defects on trailers even if the owner is not original.  I’m talking about something wrong that was probably a manufacturing issue.  Most used trailers have the kinks worked out and won’t need much work from the factory.  Ours is four years old, we had a few warranty issues that were fixed both locally and in Hohenwald and we’ve been problem free for the last few years.  So, our four year old, 50K+ miles trailer will have no warranty issues.  They’re all fixed.  

On the other hand, there is something special about buying new and getting exactly what you want.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Oliver adopted a stronger frame design I believe for the 2016 model year*, so if you're concerned about not having a frame warranty, you might limit your search to the later model.  

* Would be nice to verify that.  I know that the new frame was on the line in December of 2015, so it may have been used on some 2015 models.  They're easy to spot since the older frame has the extendable tongue.  

Another structural change that I'd like to know the date of would be the steel brackets for the rear stabilizers.  

Edited by Overland

I would not hesitate to purchase a used Ollie that was no more than say three years old, that was low miles and has had regular maintenance and cleaning/ waxing. I suspect that most owners do not actually keep a usage log, so determining actual miles towed, what kind of towing - freeways or dirt roads, over chemical deicers - and past maintenance might be difficult, especially if there was a previous owner before the current one.

You can tell a lot about how a unit was cared for and where it went by inspecting the frame, suspension and gelcoat for damage, eroded paint, rust, rock chips etc. This kind of damage won’t destroy an Ollie, but how the owner(s) took steps (or didn’t!) to reduce long term damage should be fairly obvious. I looked under one Ollie and I saw neglect, pure and simple - a rusty mess. Stay clear of a neglected one.

Unless you are a savvy, mechanically talented buyer, any used unit more than a year old should have a full top to bottom pre-purchase inspection performed by a qualified Rv tech. The seller might offer one, that is fine if it is recent and they can provide a printed copy to you before you arrive to look at it, but if there has not been one, the buyer should pay for it and arrange the details. IMHO.

https://www.camperguide.org/rv-inspection-cost/

Sellers, having a complete inspection done, performing any necessary maintenance like bearings/ brakes, and being prepared to hand a buyer a copy of the report and any service records is a quick way to make a sale. Who wants to wait three to six months before your rig is gone...?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.