Future Ollie Owner (Maybe)

beaker

My wife and I have been looking for our “downsizing” camper since the kids went off to college. We had been contemplating getting a used 23 or 25 foot Airstream when I came across the Ollie when doing a Google search for “4 season camper”. We live in Jackson, MS so the Ollie factory was just a quick trip up the Natchez Trace so we did the factory tour last Spring. I was blown away by the quality of the Ollie. We didn’t pull the trigger then for several reasons.  One of which was wondering if we could camp in an Ollie with two Golden-doodles.   I’m back doing research again on the Ollie. Just can’t get out of my head how well they are built.  So if you see a post from me it’s most likely a question to help us decide on a purchase.  

• Like 1

How big are your doodles, and do they stay where they are supposed to? We have two 40 pound Australian Labradoodles, who are not obedient enough to not get in the way constantly. Ollies have a rather narrow isle width, think about having to work your way around larger animals while doing chores. Consider dealing with a muddy or soaking wet animal after a night potty break. Consider what to do with them when the weather is foul and nobody can go out.....

We normally try to leave them at home with my daughter, it makes everybody a lot happier. Well, except for the daughter ...;(

A used Airstreams is a risky purchase. Do your research well, Google loose rivets, water leaks, rot, floor replacement, hail damage, polishing aluminum, screwed together interior, etc. Ollies are impervious to all those “features”. Welcome to the forum.

What does your user name signify? Are you a chemist like my favorite muppet Beaker?  I can imagine some really interesting exterior artwork for a new Ollie....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Glad to have you here and considering an Oliver.

We camp with a large Chessie (90lbs +), and we are used to his presence and the effort it takes to bring him along. I would not consider two of him. 

If Harley was not family - he would not be our third. But honestly, life is more fun with him around, so we deal with the extra work he entails.  

The Oliver is  great TT. It's  not perfect, its got a great reputation, and exceptional factory support, along with an owners group that is always there to help a new owner.

I've had mine almost 2 years - I'm mostly satisfied - with the few complaints minor, and I'm confident much less than I would find with a competing prospect.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

14 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Consider dealing with a muddy or soaking wet animal after a night potty break. Consider what to do with them when the weather is foul and nobody can go out.....

I agree with John on these points.  I have two #40 English Setters that are hunting dogs.  I spend weekends all fall with the two dogs in the Oliver.  Most of the time I’m solo and the dogs get the other bunk at night.  When my wife is along (mostly in the summer) the camper can get tight with 2+2 in the camper.

Once it starts raining the dogs get moved to their kennels in the back of the Land Cruiser.  Two wet and muddy dogs get to be too much.  Often at the start of the day when they are rested and wound up they are too much and I put them in their kennels just to get a break from their constant energy while I get ready for the day.

They also get left in the kennel until I can go over them well for ticks.  Even though I have a tick plan, on a good day they can each carry a few dozen ticks into the Oliver.  Yuck!

Have a plan B for kenneling the dogs if you decide to get an Oliver.  In my situation its too small for two active dogs and two adults 100% of the time.

HTH, Ken

9AC74021-2EAD-4719-A7E4-0F398A73D6B8.jpeg

• Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

We have the "standard" layout and leave it setup as a rear bed nearly 100% of the time.  Our bed is a double size foam topper, and then the pup gets the rest of the space (22"x79") at night.  Ours is 35lbs and doesn't shed thankfully.  One night I got her to sleep halftway through the night at the dinette, before she decided she needed to be closer to her humans. During the day, she occupies a throw blanket we put over the bed to supervise us and the wildlife out the windows and provides vocal critiques if either do not do her bidding.  If we had another, I'm not sure if the space would be big enough when it's puppy playtime -- but it would depend on the dogs.

Between Olivers…

17 hours ago, John E Davies said:

How big are your doodles, and do they stay where they are supposed to? We have two 40 pound Australian Labradoodles, who are not obedient enough to not get in the way constantly. Ollies have a rather narrow isle width, think about having to work your way around larger animals while doing chores. Consider dealing with a muddy or soaking wet animal after a night potty break. Consider what to do with them when the weather is foul and nobody can go out.....

The doodles are 50# each.  They will obey as long as they are indoors.  Outside though, they have to be on a leash as they have not had any advanced obedience training yet.

What does your user name signify? Are you a chemist like my favorite muppet Beaker?

beaker is a handle I've used online before  that is a reference to my name (B)ryan Kerr... B. Kerr.. hence beaker.   It is also a nod to that muppet character, as he is one of our favorites as well.  My wife is a microbiologist and science teach and her beaker figurine (of Beaker) can always be found close by.

Edited by beaker
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

A used Airstreams is a risky purchase. Do your research well, Google loose rivets, water leaks, rot, floor replacement, hail damage, polishing aluminum, screwed together interior, etc. Ollies are impervious to all those “features”. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the more I research the airstreams, the less appealing the "shiny" land yachts become.

5 hours ago, KenB said:

Once it starts raining the dogs get moved to their kennels in the back of the Land Cruiser.  Two wet and muddy dogs get to be too much.  Often at the start of the day when they are rested and wound up they are too much and I put them in their kennels just to get a break from their constant energy while I get ready for the day.

They also get left in the kennel until I can go over them well for ticks.  Even though I have a tick plan, on a good day they can each carry a few dozen ticks into the Oliver.  Yuck!

Have a plan B for kenneling the dogs if you decide to get an Oliver.  In my situation its too small for two active dogs and two adults 100% of the time.

Thanks KenB. 

How does your LC do pulling the LE II?  We have an '05 LC so using it as a tow vehicle would not be an option.  We would have to use or tow vehicle from our other campers, a 2009 Chevy HD Diesel 2500.  Would entertain upgrading our '05 LC to an '08 or newer if we got some feedback that it would tow an Ollie LE2 just fine.

My ‘13 200 tows just adequately, it is stock except for 33” LT tires and rear airbags. It has the six speed tranny and 3.90 gears. It would do great with lower 4:30 gearing like the Tundra, about a $2000 upgrade using takeoff ring and pinion sets. There have been a number of discussions, search and you should find them. Would I buy another to replace this one? No, I would get a 3/4 ton gas pickup and scrap the Andersen.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:14 PM, beaker said:

How does your LC do pulling the LE II?  We have an '05 LC so using it as a tow vehicle would not be an option.  We would have to use or tow vehicle from our other campers, a 2009 Chevy HD Diesel 2500.  Would entertain upgrading our '05 LC to an '08 or newer if we got some feedback that it would tow an Ollie LE2 just fine.

I live in Minnesota and it does everything I’d like it to do around here.  Twice I’ve taken the rig up and over the I70 pass west of Denver on trips out west.  I had to downshift hard both going up and down.  The motor spun fast and the brakes got hot, but it was all fine.  The second experience was better than the first because I knew what to expect and had faith in the LC.

Mine also has 33” tires and airbags.  Though an E2 is still under the max bumper weight, I think it squats too much without airbags.

Realistically I tow the E2 10% of the time and the other 90% of the time my ‘13 Land Cruiser is a daily driver or solo bird hunting rig.  It always does 95-100% of what I ask it to do, regardless of the terrain.  The last five percent it’d probably do, but I’m cautious about that last fraction when I’m by myself 10 miles down a two track logging road without a cell signal.  So I turn around.

Our Land Cruiser is all pinstriped up from the brush and driving narrow unimproved roads.   I also need to pull both the bumpers and pop out two of the corners from dragging them in a ditch this past fall.   I use the vehicle quite a bit for it’s intended use and am quite happy with it.  Not happy enough to pay full retail, but I bought ours used.   I’d probably buy another used one if this one was in an accident and was totaled, but it’d take me awhile to find the right one at the right price again.  Other than three sets of tires (all season, all terrain, and snow) and rock sliders, mine is stock.

Tundras and Sequoias have the same sized engine too.  Several on the board are happy towing with newer Tundras.  The Oliver brochure used to show towing with a Sequoia.  And one early magazine article showed towing an E2 with a Tacoma, which is just silly.  I also have a 1st gen Tundra and wouldn’t consider towing the Oliver with it as is.  Too softly sprung and the shocks are shot.

HTH, Ken

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Hi beaker,

our two 70lbs goldendoodles lay on the floor without a problem (on blankets to absorb wet and dirt when applicable. They are chill and not hyper, even though they have good play energy, but in the trailer they seem pretty calm perhaps because of tighter space. There is room to step between their legs and get around them but the Ollie isn’t a wide open runway.  We looked at AS and liked the width and lighted feel and views, but didn’t like the build quality or the  maintenance. For us, the smaller, more maneuverable, high quality build, and the Oliver reputation for service after the sale won out over the inconvenience of the lesser space. We make less space work and have gotten used to it. There are trade offs and consequences no matter the choice. The reality for us is, once inside most time is spent reading,  cooking, some tv and sleeping, stationary stuff, rather than moving around a lot. We also bought a “clam” outdoor screened tent to stretch and hang out during the day and evening as a change of pace.  

AAA867B4-395E-4BAD-B0B3-D5B6F2B93C9F.jpeg

F79EFDEE-901D-42B3-9A1F-6BA90F9EFD64.jpeg

0241A213-79E2-40E3-9AC8-5F3C52A70E46.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Moderator+

Bryan, we live up the road a bit, in Tupelo.  We've owned two different Oliver's, a 2008 Elite and currently a 2014 Elite II.  We've traveled with three dogs in each of these trailers. Two are small (under 15 pounds), one is huge (over 100 pounds).  The doberman minds well and stays out of the way while in the trailer.  The two little ones are usually on one or the other of the beds.  We've never found them to be a problem. I usually take them outside the last thing at night and Tali usually gets them out in the morning.  In 12 years of camping I don't recall the weather ever being an issue to the point where they couldn't do their business. Yeah, sometimes they come in dirty with mud on their feet.  They're dogs. One of the little ones is fast, if you're not quick, he'll be inside and on your bed before you can catch him to clean him up.  We wipe them off as best we can and clean up the floor later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Beaker, I found a photo of the two doodles sleeping in the Ollie. I forgot to mention, our Ease of travel depends on where and how they lie down. Sometimes both are curled up and out of the way, sometimes one is by the door and only one is in the way, and sometimes they’re sprawled out both in the way and we step over and around.  They also sometimes stand up and then there’s plenty of room. 

BTW, a while ago Phil mentioned when we might see a larger Ollie hit the market. He said the plans are on the drawing board for a larger and wider unit, but to expect nothing for 3-5 yrs.  A He threw out specs in the neighborhood of 30’x8.’  I imagine how nice that extra space and Ollie quality would feel in a lot of applications.

38E01668-2DEF-4B51-B120-059F9854D8B0.png

• Thanks 1

A comment about our current experience with a tow vehicle.  We have a 2019 Sequoia Platinum, dealer sold at 12500 under MSRP.  It tows the LEII with no problem. The 5.7 guzzles fuel, 9-10 mpg.  Non hitched it gets 15-17). It works well for us as a daily driver (comfortable, quiet) but especially well for trips. The cargo space is ginormous. If they made one, a diesel Sequoia 9k towing capacity  would be great. 

768C8ECD-16B3-4EB0-B1BF-9EDFD962C457.jpeg

• Like 1

My son has a similar vehicle, and he acknowledges that although he loves it for 90% of his use,  its not the best for heavier weights on the towing front. This with a good diesel power train, with appropriate chassis would be fun to see. I  am not  sure why Toyota has resisted anything in this segment, probably investment return, however, perhaps one day. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mac said:

BTW, a while ago Phil mentioned when we might see a larger Ollie hit the market. He said the plans are on the drawing board for a larger and wider unit, but to expect nothing for 3-5 yrs.  A He threw out specs in the neighborhood of 30’x8.’  I imagine how nice that extra space and Ollie quality would feel in a lot of applications.

I guess I better get a bigger truck. 

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 hours ago, Mac said:

A comment about our current experience with a tow vehicle.  We have a 2019 Sequoia Platinum, dealer sold at 12500 under MSRP.  It tows the LEII with no problem. The 5.7 guzzles fuel, 9-10 mpg.  Non hitched it gets 15-17). It works well for us as a daily driver (comfortable, quiet) but especially well for trips. The cargo space is ginormous. If they made one, a diesel Sequoia 9k towing capacity  would be great. 

Would you mind starting a brand new thread about your Sequoia? I am particularly interested in any comments on the stability of the independent rear suspension, and the stock tires and rear air suspension capabilities. Have you done any upgrades? I think your truck has 4:30 axles, is that correct? Are you concerned about the relatively low tow rating?

I don’t expect fo see a Toyota diesel here, ever, hybrids are in the future, even in the trucks. Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

6 hours ago, Mac said:

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I guess I better get a bigger truck. 

Wonder what that will weigh??? add another 1500 lbs to an EII   Go to a 10k GVW?  $80k?

Got enough truck, but darn, 3 years - 

Lets add a quiet AC, wet bath, and a Danfoss DC based refer. (and windows that are 100% waterproof)

RB

Note -  when this comes to pass - For Sale - 2018 EII et al. 

• Haha 1

Beaker, I see you changed your avitar image .... you look like a very nice couple, but honestly, your previous Muppet version was a hoot, I will miss it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Update:  Two weeks ago we drove to Plains, GA and took possession of our new OLEII. It is a 2016 and had only 6000 miles on it. It is in pristine condition and we couldn’t be happier. We found it here in the Classified area of this forum. We took it to Roosevelt State Park for it’s maiden voyage this past weekend. We have reservations for a site at the Rally in September and can’t wait to me some fellow Oliver Owners. 

Edited by beaker
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

beaker - 

Congrates!  Its time to "break" that low mileage Ollie in.  You'll simply love the Owner's Rally - its at a great place and there will be soooo much to see and do.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"