New Ollie/lighting problems

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I've read this entire thread. Based on your posts, if I were you, I'd sell that trailer and get me something I could be happy with.

I think everyone was very happy and excited when they purchased the Oliver. So that’s  the answer with poor quality control? Sell your trailer if your not happy and buy something else? 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

29 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I think everyone was very happy and excited when they purchased the Oliver. So that’s  the answer with poor quality control? Sell your trailer if your not happy and buy something else? 

I think this is almost like a political conversation at this point.  There are those who are just trying to be objective and get to better results for the benefit of all parties, then there are those that are so emotionally charged that no ill can ever be spoken.  Oliver has made folks feel like family which is great, but families argue when someone is not pulling their weight or even worse they are passive aggressive and they never speak again.  Again, I know Oliver is watching, should be interesting to see if they reach out or if they just hide behind Jason in service.  I'm only posting because I want future and current buyers to see that it's not all pretty.  I wish I had seen a post like this.  I'm not even sure it would have changed my mind, but definitely my expectations.    

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Sell your trailer if your not happy and buy something else? 

The short answer for me is yes.  If I’m not happy with a product I am not inclined to keep it.

There are now over 600 Oliver trailers out there.  Periodically, someone posts about not being happy because something was wrong when they picked up their new trailer.  So, my unscientific conclusion is that most folks are happy.  If they have an issue they get it fixed and then go out an enjoy camping.  I’ve been very open about the issues I had, how they were fixed, and the reliability since.  It’s our own fault, the majority of owners rave about the quality and durability of their Oliver, and rightly so. Potential buyers then believe that they will receive perfection.  

If your “unhappy complaining” to “happy camping” ratio is skewed toward the “unhappy complaining” side then maybe it’s time to make a change.  The vast majority are happy campers.  My $.02.  Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

11 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

The short answer for me is yes.  If I’m not happy with a product I am not inclined to keep it.

There are now over 600 Oliver trailers out there.  Periodically, someone posts about not being happy because something was wrong when they picked up their new trailer.  So, my unscientific conclusion is that most folks are happy.  If they have an issue they get it fixed and then go out an enjoy camping.  I’ve been very open about the issues I had, how they were fixed, and the reliability since.  It’s our own fault, the majority of owners rave about the quality and durability of their Oliver, and rightly so. Potential buyers then believe that they will receive perfection.  

If your “unhappy complaining” to “happy camping” ratio is skewed toward the “unhappy complaining” side then maybe it’s time to make a change.  The vast majority are happy campers.  My $.02.  Mike

Again, nobody expected perfection, just a camper that keeps me as dry as one of my tents!  I also don't see this as complaining, more of an informative post so maybe those who do expect perfection now won't.  Also, at 600 units, the vast majority is a phrase that might not be useable.  The small sample size and almost everyone on this post having some sort of quality control issues might be an alarming statistic.  Should be anyway.  My $70k 

• Like 1

Ahattar, I don't think I'll join the chorus telling you to cut and run.  Two years ago, I was roasting Oliver over a spit for their quality problems, but today I'm getting regularly accused of being a fanboy.  I sincerely hope that your path leads in the same direction.  I understand all too well how disappointing it can be when you've invested so much time and money into something and have it not turn out the way you expected.  And if your trailer is leaking, you have a right to be mad and Oliver should do everything they can to fix it.  All I can do is repeat what I posted earlier - Oliver's initial quality is so much better than it was a few years ago; they seem to be on the right track in improving that quality year over year; and, just as they've always done, they do everything possible to fix issues and make their customers happy again when things do go wrong.  Everyone who has been on this forum for two or three or (many) more years will back that up.  Oliver went from two guys building their own trailer to a small custom shop to a full blown manufacturer in a very short timespan.  So yes, they've had and continue to have growing pains.  They're not Foxconn.  But I think that most people understand that going in and set their expectations accordingly.  One thing that makes a big difference from a few years ago, and which I doubt that most newcomers see, is that this forum doesn't paint nearly as rosy a picture of Oliver as it once did.  The early owners were definitely in love with their trailers and IMO cut Oliver way too much slack.  I remember when a new owner figured out that his plumbing lines couldn't access a third of the water in the tank and the old timers here were like, 'Oh, yeah, that's normal.  Didn't we mention that?'.  The boom in customers around 2017 changed that.  So I think that new buyers get a much more accurate impression of Oliver these days than when I bought mine.  That, plus the improvement I've seen over the past few years is what makes me look at this thread and think wow, we've come a long way if a single electrical switch can cause this much of a dust up.

But again, I understand your pain and disappointment.  All that I would ask is that you keep us informed of what's wrong with your trailer and what Oliver is doing to help.  That way we can all get a better picture of how Oliver is doing on their initial quality and if they're still improving or have let things slide a little.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I appreciate your honesty and opinion overland.  I guess my problem is I didn't sign up to be an experiment like probably a lot of the early buyers did.  I was not compensated in the form of a discount, I purchased a premium priced trailer with no dealer network.  I'm sure the early units cost quite a bit less.  I guess it just comes down to if it was anything other than a sizeable water leak, it probably would have been annoying but palatable.  The other things like step pieces falling off or broken fiberglass trim pieces or the floor bubbling up, etc, etc. can all be forgiven but you still go away not believing that Oliver actually wants to deliver on their message of quality.  True or not, that's how it will come across to most buyers like me that have had several RVs and watched them fall apart.  That's why this is the first new RV I've ever purchased.  Again, I still think it's the best quality RV available but Oliver needs to decide if they want to be a company that moves the needle or just good enough to say they're better than everyone else.  They're is a lot of room for improvement and I'm sure I'll still fabricate a bunch of cool stuff and make mods to the design, it just comes down to me not being a good ambassador to the brand which Oliver should care deeply about.  If I were them, I'd buyback the unit and resell it.  Resale is good enough they could probably still make money.  Ok I'm done with this, I don't want it to actually start to sound like complaining or me trying to sour people on the brand.  People are smart enough to make their own decisions.  Let's assume Oliver fixes all issues as I'm sure they will.  If they go above and beyond I will post it here, otherwise, take care.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Landrover said:

Probably not, but I was miffed when my $70k + Oliver furnace wouldn't work, when my windows leaked (still do), my pos Dometic fridge likes to shut off when on propane,  and a few other things that went bump in the night.  But, as a tinkerer, I have also made improvements, added things, etc., so at some point, we all get used to the idiosyncrasies of RV ownership. But that doesn't soften the initial disappointment. Sell mine, not, but if this damn national shutdown and location curfew doesn't let up soon, well what's an RV for...

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this per Overlands request.  Oliver is still working to get things sorted.  I'm going to do my best to give them the benefit of the doubt as long as they value my time and hassle with all of this.  One of the Olivers called me yesterday which shows effort so I'll call him back on Monday.  The leak is supposedly fixed but I still haven't been able to get the trailer back because the guy fell off the ladder when he was putting my awning back on.  Scratched up the side of the trailer so now its been in the body shop for a week.  Can't blame Oliver but these are the kinds of things that happen when the unit goes in for service when it shouldn't have needed to.  Trickle down effects of missed QC.  Thats all I got, now going on 3 weeks without the trailer with one canceled trip already.  

15 minutes ago, Overland said:

So was the leak around one of the awning mounts then?  I can’t think of another reason why they’d have to remove it.

That's what they think but I won't confirm until I get it back and have no leaks for a while.  It's what we originally thought it was but they also removed and reinstalled the window to make sure.  When the window was removed they hose tested the awning brackets and could see the water coming down between the shells at the window opening.  That silly bulb seal design causes water to pool on the brackets so that had to be replaced.  The dealer says they did it twice because the water was pooling instead of draining off to one end.  The second try is when he fell off the ladder.  I'm not sure it can be installed to do as they say but I'll know when I get it back.  

ahatter,  I appreciate your honest feedback! I've had my share of issues shortly after delivery with several leaks. I understand the frustration and disappointment, I felt exactly the same as you.  Several months and several trips to the plant, things finally  smoothed out. Now 40K miles on my Oliver I'm pleased. But you're right in saying that they should get their act together. Oh, and I'm not a member of the fan club but I've learned a great deal from owners smarter than me. I've realized all campers go through issues out the door. Could be why many buy used. 

Best wishes and I hope Oliver makes it right for you!   

• Like 1

Ok, weeks later got my trailer back.  Wasn't the smoothest process getting the gel coat from Oliver which ultimately delayed things 10 days.  Part Covid part poor communication.  Ultimately though the repairs look good.  I'm definitely not happy with the entire situation but at the end of the day I believe in the people at Oliver still.  One of the owners reached out and was very understanding of my frustration and I don't get the feeling he was just humoring me.  I will leave it at this.  My Service Writer made it a point to say how helpful Jason in service was during the process.  They are a Keystone/Lance dealer and said there is zero chance any of those companies would have been as helpful and probably would have just laughed at them if they asked for help.  So, even though the dealer knows Oliver might have some QC issues, they are at least impressed with how they resolve the issues.  Take care.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ahattar said:

Ok, weeks later got my trailer back.  Wasn't the smoothest process getting the gel coat from Oliver which ultimately delayed things 10 days.  Part Covid part poor communication.  Ultimately though the repairs look good.  I'm definitely not happy with the entire situation but at the end of the day I believe in the people at Oliver still.  One of the owners reached out and was very understanding of my frustration and I don't get the feeling he was just humoring me.  I will leave it at this.  My Service Writer made it a point to say how helpful Jason in service was during the process.  They are a Keystone/Lance dealer and said there is zero chance any of those companies would have been as helpful and probably would have just laughed at them if they asked for help.  So, even though the dealer knows Oliver might have some QC issues, they are at least impressed with how they resolve the issues.  Take care.  

As I have stated, Jason's team does a great job. Heck, I was  surprised by a  recent follow up email from Jason on an issue we had discussed a good while back. Still, the production team cannot rely on service after the sale to cover their posterior's. Glad your Ollie's reputation is on the mend.

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:57 PM, ahattar said:

Final update:  Oliver is stepping up to make things right so we can all move on.  We're all disappointed but its for the best at this point.  Take care.    

I would appreciate your final out come on the matter. I have followed your posts and agree with you. I shared similar issues and posts. Some may not like the bad press on the forum, but i think it is important. We are all Oliver owners this forum should be for the good bad and sometimes ugly.  If pressure isn’t put on the company by these issues. Then no change will be accomplished. Thank you.

Edited by Landrover
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

21 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I would appreciate your final out come on the matter. I have followed your posts and agree with you. I shared similar issues and posts. Some may not like the bad press on the forum, but i think it is important. We are all Oliver owners this forum should be for the good bad and sometimes ugly.  If pressure isn’t put on the company by these issues. Then no change will be accomplished. Thank you.

I will post what I can when everything is finalized and I know the ball is rolling.  I will be moving on from the brand and Oliver will be helping me do that.  I'm trying to be as reasonable as possible and I'm confident they'll do the same.  More to come later, thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, Landrover said:

Airstream was in Olivers  league years ago. They once had the best reputation for quality and look what happened lets hope Oliver is not following the same path.

For sure.  I looked at Airstream and was totally dumbstruck at the poor quality and resulting problems . . . . .  I guess I should have expected this since they have joined the high volume, mass produced RV industry, relying on the Airstream badge to command premium prices.  Hopefully Oliver can see this and will not sacrifice the quality and reliability of their product or the reputation of the company.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 4/23/2020 at 6:26 AM, ahattar said:

I think this is almost like a political conversation at this point.  There are those who are just trying to be objective and get to better results for the benefit of all parties, then there are those that are so emotionally charged that no ill can ever be spoken.  Oliver has made folks feel like family which is great, but families argue when someone is not pulling their weight or even worse they are passive aggressive and they never speak again.  Again, I know Oliver is watching, should be interesting to see if they reach out or if they just hide behind Jason in service.  I'm only posting because I want future and current buyers to see that it's not all pretty.  I wish I had seen a post like this.  I'm not even sure it would have changed my mind, but definitely my expectations.    

I like your point . . . .  about changed expectations . . . . . yes, nothing is perfect.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• The topic was locked