2020-21 HD Trucks

WhatDa

Glad you like it-

I had the auto wipers on my Ford - hated them

I don't mind the column - - not a big deal for me

I purchased the GMC over the ford just for what you mentioned - the ride is vastly better - and I liked the interior.

The new versions - yours- has the trailer TPMs - so that is the only "suction" device i have...

i am not a big camera fan - perhaps one day.

If GM ever goes back to work, perhaps a 2021-22

Happy trails.

RB

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

I had the auto wipers on my Ford - hated them.

LOL my Land Cruiser had them, and they were awful. They were either too delayed in starting, or the speed was all wrong. I disabled them after a month. Fortunately it is very easy- you just unplug the wires to the windshield rain sensor and tuck them up into the front lip of the headliner.

I wish there was an easy way to disable the darned adaptive cruise. I hate that too and have to manually override it every single time I want to use the Cruise.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

LOL my Land Cruiser had them, and they were awful. They were either too delayed in starting, or the speed was all wrong. I disabled them after a month. Fortunately it is very easy- you just unplug the wires to the windshield rain sensor and tuck them up into the front lip of the headliner.

I wish there was an easy way to disable the darned adaptive cruise. I hate that too and have to manually override it every single time I want to use the Cruise.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I couldn’t agree more.  I have the adaptive cruise control on my Audi S3.  I can’t override it so I just don’t use it.  The wipers on both the S3 and my Rebel never seem to wipe when I want them to and do wipe when I don’t need them too.  Some things are better automated, some things are not.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

In the Ram you should be able to turn off the Auto wiper mode in the Settings menu. This is for 2017 but I expect it is similar for your new truck.

Enable or disable rain sensing wipers

On my 200 the default cruise setting is Radar, whenever you turn on the switch. To go to a normal type you push the stalk forward and hold for two seconds. Unfortunately it doesn’t remember your choice so every time you turn  on Cruise you have to do it again. Normally I leave it on Normal for an entire trip. Toyota USA -  I prefer to choose my OWN speed, thank you very much! If somebody is going slower I just want to go around him, not slow way down and poke along watching his rear bumper.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My biggest gripe - they come on when not needed, and were never at the speed i wanted.  Seems somethings are better left to humans. Don't need adaptive cruise- just go the freeking speed I set, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

If I head east, I don't miss adaptive cruise control.  When I descend into the madness of the Seattle metropolitan area, that's when adaptive cruise becomes nice.  The auto wipers are nice in the area where we never have rain, just varying stages of wet and moist.  The save wiper blades when the Mrs is too focused on driving to remember to turn them off after a misting.  Still wouldn't have picked up another truck.

We took a nice 1800 mile road trip without trailer.  Seats are the most comfortable I've had for long road trips.  Great gas mileage around 60, still respectable at 85.  Flying up a mountain pass at 85 MPH at 1700 RPMs with no strain is nice.  Just got my DiamondBack cover (they were shutdown for COVID) and am pretty happy with it.  Just trying to settle on the configuration of the bins.

Hoping to take the Oliver out this weekend.

The 2021 order guide is out with no major changes worth waiting for in my book.

Between Olivers…

• 1 month later...

Have about 2000 miles towing the Oliver now.  As expected, the Sierra HD pulls just fine.  We are using the multipro compatible hitch from B&W. So if I drop the tailgate step, it won't nail the hitch. More stable in every way than the Lincoln was, except maybe a little bouncier when I hit the "oh shoot" sized bumps.  That is largely due to no longer using the Andersen hitch in my mind.  Air bags aren't necessary but they would probably help. Moving from an SUV, we are glad to no longer hear the hitch clanking around in the receiver.  20lbs propane tanks fit under the Diamondback HD cover, but they need to be opened to transport the 30 pounders.

As far as electrical doodads: Our "invisible trailer" camera remains on backorder due to COVID-19 (but at the same time GMC has revised the part number twice) - so still using the wireless camera setup from the factory.  The TPMS system works great, so that is at least one less box in the truck.  Only downside is it is only viewable in the NAV screen.  So I have three screens in my truck: center gauge cluster, rear view mirror, and the NAV. I have three pieces of fairly critical information while towing: TPMS, Rear Camera, and Phone based maps.  All three of those have to share the NAV screen, despite there being other logical places to put them.  I can see my truck's TPMS on the center of the gauge cluster, but not the trailer.  Supposedly GM can over the air update and fix all this -- I am not holding my breath.  Since the firmware I see on my truck was released, I think Tesla has probably dropped 10 fairly substantive updates.  The lane change camera system is pretty nice, but so are the giant tow mirrors.

General driving, I average 20-22 MPG when mostly freeway.  High teens when "town" and "city" driving dominate.  upper-mid teens around home in the mountains.  Best tank was 26mpg with a strong tailwind the whole way. 18.x mpg towing at 60mph on the flats, and still respectable at faster speeds.  The ecoboost would do well until I pushed it or there was a headwind, and it was like the consumption went off a cliff.  For normal towing, we are looking for fuel every ~500 miles to ensure reserve.  Getting the big duramax is definitely a plus vs the 1500 with its "car" sized filler neck, the HD with it's semi-truck sized filler neck has me spoiled at truck stops.  I just Dieseled up at a Costco on a normal pump and it seemed like an eternity to tank up compared to the truck pumps which flow 4-6 times as fast as the auto side.

I still haven't really decided what's next for the truck - I originally was looking at an auxiliary tank.  The benefit there would be fueling the tractor might be easier than the blue cans.  But for towing, I haven't seen a huge need for it yet, it'd certainly be fun, but the Diesel with a 36 gallon tank has much longer legs than the ecoboost with the 26 Gallon tank. 

• Thanks 3

Between Olivers…

Here is the multi pro hitch for those wondering what compatible means. It will also clear the ball at its highest setting. 

the Anderson or other hitches will hit the step when it is deployed. 

68E482FB-53A0-4A38-BF69-C152CD79E26E.jpeg

• Like 2

Between Olivers…

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, John E Davies said:

Would you mind posting pics of your setup? Maybe start a new thread for the discussion.....

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes . . . . . I'd like to see a thread for GPS recommendations

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 11:04 AM, routlaw said:

Thanks for the explanation Trainman, appreciated! 

This unit does receive much high praise indeed after spending sometime looking into reviews on youtube. I fail to understand though why people like using an iPhone in exchange for a real navigation system. My own experience has been frustrating at best. They get hot if left running all the time or else will turn the monitor off just when its inconvenient, they use up copious amounts of expensive data if constantly running a navigation app. Don't get me wrong I use my iPhone for a lot of things including some limited navigation but to use one in exchange of a true GPS device just doesn't make sense to me. 

However I am also surprised to hear so many complaints about built in Nav systems on autos and trucks. This surprised me too. I'll probably pick up one of those 61 LMT-S soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

The only built in Nav system we have had and like is in our BMW X5.  It is Google maps based, so the maps are awesome.  You can choose either regular map or satellite imagery.  And, you can map your route on your computer then send the destination to the car via the car's wifi connection.  We've had other nav systems (mazda, MB Sprinter RV) and neither was as easy to use.

Our tow pickup doesn't have built in navigation, so guess wheat my husband is getting for his birthday?  Looking for a Garmin.

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 weeks later...

Quite honestly - having to stop for fuel - usually around 1/2 tank is a relief.  I suppose if you could find a fuel stop with really low prices this would make sense. I would still be stopping - to stretch the legs and arms. The trip to AK - would have helped - but still never really had an issue. 

Could do as the AF does - just have a tanker follow along - fuel up on the run. 

• Like 1

I'm just wondering . . . . we have always had pickups with full size (8') beds.  What do you gain with a short bed, other than easier parallel parking?  For how we use our pickups, a short bed is somewhat restrictive.

Ray and Susan Huff

For us - its just preference = turning radius is better. I don't equate any 3/4 ton with easy parallel parking. Overall I have come to love  my truck - once the newness wore off - life was much easier - each scratch, mar, and such became less annoying. 43K later - I put fuel in it, and go.

Happy Halloween all you ghouls and goblins.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

For us - its just preference = turning radius is better. I don't equate any 3/4 ton with easy parallel parking. Overall I have come to love  my truck - once the newness wore off - life was much easier - each scratch, mar, and such became less annoying. 43K later - I put fuel in it, and go.

Happy Halloween all you ghouls and goblins.

I forgot the turning radius . . . . I just automatically allow more room and remember to not turn the wheel too soon.  Parking is very strategic, but not a problem where we live.  I do choose parking spots in lots carefully as it is easy to get trapped if someone parks too close and there isn't room to back up far enough to make the turn to get out.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

On 10/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, Susan Huff said:

I'm just wondering . . . . we have always had pickups with full size (8') beds.  What do you gain with a short bed, other than easier parallel parking?  For how we use our pickups, a short bed is somewhat restrictive.

Ferries (50% more when you cross 22' - long bed is a few inches over and they do check/know) - we take them often to Peninsula/Islands, parking at airports (not a thing right now, but the overhang can make it tough to not block the aisle), parallel parking in cities, maneuvering in some campgrounds, etc...

The new GMC "short" bed has so much space in it (6'9" vs 6'6" and less carve outs for posts/etc...) that we really don't run out of space.  With sheet material (fairly rare these days), I drop tailgate and raise the multipro "step". If I need more room, hooking up the tandem axle cargo trailer becomes a cinch.  I wouldn't mind an 8'

On 10/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, BackofBeyond said:

Quite honestly - having to stop for fuel - usually around 1/2 tank is a relief.  I suppose if you could find a fuel stop with really low prices this would make sense. I would still be stopping - to stretch the legs and arms. The trip to AK - would have helped - but still never really had an issue. 

Could do as the AF does - just have a tanker follow along - fuel up on the run. 

It's not just the cheaper Diesel, it's less sketchy stations/timing when we stop for fuel that are a plus.  Outside of COVID, we make our lunch/potty stop based on where the food we want to eat is vs where the fuel is if we can.  Also stopping at a rest stop/pull off to go use the Oliver's facilities is often easier than going through a full fuel stop.  And while I like the idea of a 1000 mile tank, it's more for the days with a strong headwind, rain, hills, etc... that make fuel economy not quite the ideal I get on level 60mph days.  I'm sure ~$1500 for it installed would like a ton of savings to make up for it - so it's more a convenience thing in my book.

• Like 1

Between Olivers…