Door Window Replacement - Need Window Treatment Idea

AndrewK

1 hour ago, GrumbleandTwist said:

Lippert will no longer be stocking this size once current stock is gone. 

That's interesting news.  This mod has been on my 'some day' list, but I may need to go ahead and order the glass now.  

• Thanks 1

Overland,

I purchased standard shade size 3 through Zarcor and they customized it.

Model CSH-3-W Oceanair Cabinshade - White.

Size: x=21 5/8” (shade width), y=23 5/8” (shade height), z=24 1/8” (head rail).  Cost $124.90.

They customized x=19 1/8” and z=21 5/8”.  The customizing cost $39.00

+ $10.00 shipping.

If you think you can cut down the shade yourself, you can get the shade online for less than $100.  

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

Andrewk, the shade looks great, and so easy to operate.

Since these were created for marine environments,  I'm guessing the shade fabric is easy to clean? Website says uv resistant.

How long did it take to install? What fasteners did you choose, or were they included?

Sure beats the heck out of the "shirt over the head bump cushion over the door" method we use. Even if it's a nice shirt. Lol.😆😅 Your shade looks great!

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry,

They are the same roller shades used in modern Airstreams, with a different Head rail attachment point.  The shade is a thin vinyl that appears would be easy to clean.  Just installed it so time will tell.

The install took about 15-20 minutes.  Drilled three holes in the screen door and screwing in three screws.

All screws and the bottom attachment point are provided.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

AndrewK

Did you just replace the glass pane and reuse your old frames?

Do you think that the shade could be mounted upside down, so that a viewing gap could be left open near the top of the window instead of the bottom? 

Also noticed that your head bump cushion is missing. It didn’t affect installation or usage of the shade, did it?

Edited by Townesw
Edited to add additional question.

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Townes,

I just replaced the glass.  There is no reason to replace the frame unless it is damaged.

The shade can’t be installed upside down because the clip that holds the shade open (covering the window) would have nothing to attach to and keep the shade from catching on the door frame, when you open the door.

The head bumper has no impact on the operation of the shade.  I removed It because we didn’t like how it looked and it did nothing to keep me from hitting the top of my head on the bottom of the frame, when I enter the trailer.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

• Moderators

AndrewK,

I looked at the shade you installed at Zarcor's website and I think it is a great solution and I am surprised I hadn’t noticed on their site before.  It must have been the Airstream reference that caused me to skip over it.  But I did go over it in depth after your posting and I thought it looked great.  So when Townesw asked about hanging it upside down, my first thought was to mount it as you did, but placing the main/top bar at a lower level which would leave a viewing gap at the top.  But then that gap couldn’t ever be covered by the shade which might not work for some people.  And then I saw your response and I remembered the other lower bar hold downs they offered such as the pegs.  Since you are the SME on these shades do you think the pegs would work as Townesw requested?

Just pondering,

Mossey

C66A7473-962E-482D-BCE7-F8C3D7595CD8.thumb.jpeg.023b52bde645f4dc4d1bb13611e7c53f.jpeg

Edited by mossemi

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mossey,

The head rail can be attached at any level.  We placed ours as high as it could go, without interfering with the operation of the door.  For us, it will only be closed when we are getting in and out of the shower and we want maximum privacy.

As for the pegs, they can't be used with the shade as it came, as the bottom shade rail is skinnier than the head rail and the width of the screen door frame. (refer back to the pictures I posted earlier) The pegs would have to be installed on the screen door frame and the bottom rail would not be able to catch on them.

If someone wanted to use the pegs, they could ask Zarcor to leave the bottom rail long (same width as the head rail), to allow for this.  

Knowing what I know now, I would seriously consider that and then mount the head rail at the bottom.

This would address Townesw desire. 

If you ordered more sets of pegs, the shade could be set in different positions.

If someone wants to do this, I will check to make sure the pegs won't interfere with opening/closing the screen/door.

Andrew 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Andrew

• Moderators

I am sorry that I am such a nerd😮.  An SME is a subject matter expert.  At work that Jokingly applied to anyone that had any experience with anything the was new in our work environment.  So the first person to figure out how to clear a paper jam in the new printer was the office SME.

In this case AndrewK was the first to complete this modification, thus he now has the title of SME.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 7 months later...

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

Bill,

Just a quick note to say thank you for the info and the link. We ordered our Zarcor tinted window in the white frame and now they offer a white handle to slide the blinds open and closed. My experience with the Zarcor rep on the phone was excellent. He answered all of my questions and just made the purchase very seamless. Based on my purchase experience I would not hesitate to do business again with Zarcor. The price is $129 shipped. 

David

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 2/1/2021 at 12:56 PM, Patriot said:

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

Bill,

Just a quick note to say thank you for the info and the link. We ordered our Zarcor tinted window in the white frame and now they offer a white handle to slide the blinds open and closed. My experience with the Zarcor rep on the phone was excellent. He answered all of my questions and just made the purchase very seamless. Based on my purchase experience I would not hesitate to do business again with Zarcor. The price is $129 shipped. 

David

Today my Zarcor tinted window arrived and I really looked forward to the install. I used the 16 clips to remove the interior frame which was pretty straight forward. I looked at the interior window and it was really well glued in with a bead all the way around naturally to keep water out. I quickly learned that there was absolutely no way to remove the opaque window as the super strong silicone adhesive would NOT  release the glass. There was no way to get the silicone to release from the inner frame and using a razor blade on the exterior of the frame was not and option. It would surely leave tool marks as the frame was really tight against the glass as it should be.
I called Zarcor and they suggested maybe using a little mineral spirits to loosen the adhesive. I was not comfortable trying mineral spirits not knowing what kind of effect it could have on the plastic frame and honesty just did not want to take the risk. I finally concluded that it was best to return the window and not take a chance on damaging the existing frame or door. 

• Sad 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Patriot - 

That is an absolute shame and I'm sorry for all the work you went to only to find out that the door manufacturer has changed the "caulk" they use to install that frosted window.  Hopefully Zarcor will come up with a solution to this issue.  If they don't it will cost them a bunch of sales, not only to Oliver owners but also to all of the other camper manufacturers that use this very same door/glass combination.

I've been told that Casita now offers the Zarcor blinds/tinted window combination as an option with their new campers.  Perhaps an email to Oliver Service, cc to Oliver Sales might get you some help or, at least, help those that are going to purchase and Oliver in the future.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve had our shade and new glass for about 3 years now.  No issues.  It’s nice to be able to see outside without opening the door.  Mike

Mike,

It’s a really nice shade and I really wanted to make it work. I think the adhesive keeping the window sealed to the frame is really strong material. The Zarcor folks were very understanding and great to work with. I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

Patriot

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Returning the product,  vs chancing a future leak, isn't a bad decision. 

I would say, with unknown adhesives,  we've used a hair dryer or heat gun on low, to good effect. Plus mechanical,  as in plastic scraper. Dealing with unknown adhesives is a big issue. Too much heat can damage surrounding material. 

I totally respect your decision. I wouldn't want to warp the door material.

We still use a shirt or jacket over the head bump cushion, 13 years in.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.