Door Window Replacement - Need Window Treatment Idea

AndrewK

We often want to be able to look out our door window, as it is the tallest window in the trailer and would be the easiest to look out of while standing.  (I'm 6'5") 

After wishing for a clear window on the door for some time, I decided to trade it out for a smoked see through window.

The glass was ordered through the LCI, the OEM of our windows. ($44.95 for the tempered glass and $20.95 for the 16 very overpriced "window keys" require to remove the interior window frame.) 

The installation was simple and we think the mod is great.  We love that we can now see out the window and use it all of the time.

I am reaching out to share the mod for anyone who may be interested and ask for ideas for a innovative window treatment that aren’t easily found on the internet.

Thank you for any ideas you may have!

Andrew 

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

Edited by AndrewK
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

While there are a bunch of ideas to be found if you simply type "RV window shades" in the search box of Amazon, a fair number of Ollie owners have used this:

https://www.amazon.com/CloZures-Controls-Privacy-Outside-fingertip/dp/B07FDKJFHD/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=rv+window+shades&qid=1585669649&sr=8-29

I've been told that these are available in white if you would prefer that and I know that there is at least one post here on the Forum concerning this product - try the "search" function.

Bill

p.s.  I really do like the tinted window.  The look of the bathroom window being non-tinted bothered me so much that I bought some "stick-on" automotive window tinting film for it and now it looks just like the rest of the windows on the street side of my Ollie.

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

While there are a bunch of ideas to be found if you simply type "RV window shades" in the search box of Amazon, a fair number of Ollie owners have used this:

https://www.amazon.com/CloZures-Controls-Privacy-Outside-fingertip/dp/B07FDKJFHD/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=rv+window+shades&qid=1585669649&sr=8-29

I've been told that these are available in white if you would prefer that and I know that there is at least one post here on the Forum concerning this product - try the "search" function.

That’s what I used.  If you call the company they do have it in white.  I got the tinted window and we like it.  I posted some pictures on the install in this thread:

• Thanks 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I was hoping someone has come up with a solution like Lance is using.  They have attached a roller shade to the inside of the screen door.  

I contacted Lance about purchasing the parts from them but the two sizes they use are wider than the screen door on the Oliver.

Andrew

Mossey,

I have looked at that and thought it was a good option but I couldn't find it in white.

We want to maintain the full view out the window when open.

Andrew 

Edited by AndrewK

Andrew

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Mossey,

I have looked at that and thought it was a good option but I couldn't find it in white.

We want to maintain the full view out the window when open.

Andrew 

They have it in white you just need to call them and ask.  It does obscure some of the view when it is open.  Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike, the shade Mossey linked to is an accordion shade, which I think is different than the Zarcor vertical shade you have?

We would be interested in the accordion style. 

Andrew

Andrew

• Moderators
10 hours ago, AndrewK said:

Mike, the shade Mossey linked to is an accordion shade, which I think is different than the Zarcor vertical shade you have?

We would be interested in the accordion style. 

Andrew

Yep, you’re right.  I thought it was the one I have (Bill’s link above).  The accordion would provide a less obstructed view.  Mike

10 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

They have it in white you just need to call them and ask.  It does obscure some of the view when it is open.  Mike

Who did you get the white unit from?

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Who did you get the white unit from?

RB

The name of the company is Zarcor.  They were very easy to work with.  You do have to call to get the white frame.

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

• Like 1

Mainiac,

Window keys are plastic wedges that are used to separate the 16 clips that hold the inner frame to the outer frame, securing the window to the door.

They slip into slots on the outer edge of the inner frame.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

• Moderators

Mike - 

Do you remember specifically which window you ordered?  There are two listed on their website.  I'm thinking that since I can't go camping I might as well tackle this job I've been wanting to do for awhile!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Mike - 

Do you remember specifically which window you ordered?  There are two listed on their website.  I'm thinking that since I can't go camping I might as well tackle this job I've been wanting to do for awhile!

Bill

Bill, if you go to their site it’s the one that pops up first (in black).  When you order request white.

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I just got off the phone ordering a Zarcor window and shade for the door of my Oliver Elite II.  At present the only way you can get a white shade with a white operating handle is to call the company.  I ordered mine with the clear tinted glass but if for some reason you prefer regular clear glass you can order it that way.  The phone number for Zarcor is:

1-800-877-4797

At present the cost of this is $129.00 AND they will include free shipping.

Bill

p.s.  If your door window has the 16 interior screws then it is "Style A" (inside window dimensions of 12"x 21").

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I did the install of this new window and shade this morning.  The only item that is not covered in the instructions concerns the safety glass "label" that is etched into the new tinted glass.  This label side of the glass should be placed toward the interior of the Oliver.  I chose to place it in the upper left hand corner thinking that it would be a bit less apparent there as opposed to the lower right.

I also made sure that I taped the exterior frame very well before starting the install since I was working by myself AND, if I could manage it, I didn't want to have to remove the exterior window frame from the door (this not only saves some work but doesn't disturb the existing seal on that part of the window).  This worked well other than my being a bit nervous that somehow the tape would not hold and I'd drop both the frame and window.

The new window fit exactly like the old with no gaps and the shade fit very tightly to the edges of the window.  Now I am able to see outside the door with having to open the door and I can adjust the shade (open/closed) from the inside without opening the door.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators

topgun2,

I’m glad you finally got that window and shade installed.  Did you beat the installation expiration date?  I know it must have been close.😅

And you’ll probably catch more fish this summer, cause the trout won’t be able to peek in the window and see what type of flies your tying.

Mossey

image.thumb.jpeg.415bd4cc67f5bea4dadef73601015e6f.jpeg

Edited by mossemi
Typo
  • Haha 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

I did the install of this new window and shade this morning.  The only item that is not covered in the instructions concerns the safety glass "label" that is etched into the new tinted glass.  This label side of the glass should be placed toward the interior of the Oliver.  I chose to place it in the upper left hand corner thinking that it would be a bit less apparent there as opposed to the lower right.

I also made sure that I taped the exterior frame very well before starting the install since I was working by myself AND, if I could manage it, I didn't want to have to remove the exterior window frame from the door (this not only saves some work but doesn't disturb the existing seal on that part of the window).  This worked well other than my being a bit nervous that somehow the tape would not hold and I'd drop both the frame and window.

The new window fit exactly like the old with no gaps and the shade fit very tightly to the edges of the window.  Now I am able to see outside the door with having to open the door and I can adjust the shade (open/closed) from the inside without opening the door.

Bill

This will be my next priority upgrade. I never liked the idea of not being able to see who was outside the door especially at night. Could you share some photos of the in stall?  Was the window snapped in or screws? It looks like the 2019s have snap in windows. Thanks

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill, I’m glad your window was a good fit, like I mentioned I had to shim mine up about 1/8”. It’s been one of the most useful mods!  Mike

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Landrover - 

I didn't take any pictures of my install because I thought that it was already fairly well documented via the video that is linked on the Zarcor website or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV441-B4gMQ

If you need any additional info, just PM me.

Bill

edit - forgot to mention - there are 16 screws in the inside frame of my door window - these screws are what holds the outside frame, inside frame and window together with the door "sandwiched" in between.

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Landrover - 

I didn't take any pictures of my install because I thought that it was already fairly well documented via the video that is linked on the Zarcor website or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV441-B4gMQ

If you need any additional info, just PM me.

Bill

edit - forgot to mention - there are 16 screws in the inside frame of my door window - these screws are what holds the outside frame, inside frame and window together with the door "sandwiched" in between.

Topgun great video Easy install, Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

If it helps anyone - after watching the YouTube linked above I made a "reminder list" of the steps to be taken during the install.

1.  Apply tape (I used Gorilla duct tape) to exterior window frame to hold it in place.

2.  Remove the 16 screws from the inside frame of the window and make note of the top of the inside frame in order to make sure that it is replaced the same way it came out.

3.  Gently pressing on the glass from the outside - remove the frosted glass.

4.  Remove old caulk from the channel of the exterior frame and clean that channel with alcohol.

5.  Install new caulk (supplied with the materials from Zarcor) into the channel.  Don't press the new caulk to hard so that you don't break the seal that is on the outside frame.

6.  From the interior gently place new glass in the exterior frame.  (Note: safety glass etched info goes to the interior) 

7.  Replace interior frame - note : leave the bottom center two screw holes empty.

8.  Clean new glass with alcohol and then clean again with glass cleaner.

9.  Seat new shade system on interior glass.  (Note: the end with the two "Velcro" buttons are installed at the bottom - for the operating handle.  The shade is a close fit, so, start positioning it at the top of the window and finish at the bottom.  Firmly press at each Velcro button location to firmly seat these on the glass.

10:  Install the operating handle using the two screws provided by Zarcor - do not over tighten.  Move the handle to the left, close the blind, then press the Velcro button on the handle into the matching button on the blind.  Slide the handle right to open and left to close.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 2

We had been considering this mod for some time, after seeing this post decided to go forward with AndrewK's version of smoked glass only (no shade).  Turns out somewhere between Hull 269 (2017) and Hull 468 (2019) the window style changed.   The older version glass is 12.438 × 21.438, part 226093.  No clips are needed for installation of this style.  The newer style glass is 13.25 x 22.24, part 706073.  Plus the clips needed for installation, part 429436.

We now have the smaller window glass on order.  Lippert will no longer be stocking this size once current stock is gone.  We're getting ready to return the larger glass and the clips to Lippert.  Before we do, if anyone with a 2019 or newer hull is interested in this mod we'd be happy to work out a deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2