Future Oliver EIII

BackofBeyond

With Covid induced time on many of our hands - and the talk of a larger Ollie -  Mental musings - What does the forum think.

I know its been mentioned previously, but perhaps with enough enthusiasm we could get the timeline advanced, and features we all would support.

I have a few ideas -  you?

How much would you spend for a larger O?

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Well, we don’t want to go too heavy!  Here’s my thoughts/list...

28’ X 7.5’, maybe 8’.  Walk around queen.  4 person dinette.  Dry bath.  Repositioned/quieter air conditioner.  Bigger refrigerator.  More and easier to access storage (improve current basement).  Bigger tanks - 50 gal fresh and gray, 30 gal black.  Lithium option with solar.  Bigger windows.  Better suspension (look at the Australians/Black Series/Kedron/etc).

I’m sure I’ll think of more.  Mike

• Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

26 minutes ago, The Shackelfords said:

Don't forget the riveted aluminum exterior!!

Now THAT made me snort coffee onto my keyboard!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

They could make a more useful interior if they reversed the layout and put the bath at the rear, where there is more headroom, and the bed at the front, where less headroom is needed.  This would keep the great streamlined shape and allow headroom in the bathroom.

By widening it 4" they could put a queen bed running fore and aft with just enough room to get in on each side, so no climbing over your partner.  include some small cabinets over the bed. 

Possibly bigger windows.  One on each side of the bed. And ones that don't leak with a flip up glass that can be left cracked open in the rain.

By lengthening it about 6 inches, they could make a very nice dry bath with enclosed shower, and add just a bit of bed length.

Make the storage area under the front bed a pass through setup with doors on each side.

Because it would be longer and wider, larger tanks might fit in.

Re-arrange the stove to get away from the sideways 2 burner, and add an oven, at least as an option.

Keep the AC toward the rear, so it's not so loud and blowing right on the bed.

Duct the heat so It actually heats the bathroom.

Improve the suspension so the axles have a bit more travel and don't just bang into the frame as a stop.

Upgrade the axles to 5200 lb axles with 12" brakes.

Stiffen the lower outer body shell to reduce the flexing outside of the frame that so many interpret as frame flex. 

Upgrade the charging system with an inverter/charger combination unit that is more modern than the setup they now have.  This would simplify and improve the system while making the inverter standard equipment.  

Offer a lithium battery option.  

The net result would be a trailer about 6" longer and 4" wider.  They could call it the Elite 24.    

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Obviously added length, dry bath, larger fridge, and queen bed or wider twins.  But, I would love, love, love to see an all electric RV.  The lithium batteries, 3000 watt inverter, more solar panels, compressor fridge bigger, but not too big, and an induction cook top.  I am dreaming, so I know this would be expensive.  Not sure how a furnace would work...are electric heaters on the market for RVs?  And all done in a 26ft (ball to back bumper) OTT.  

On a side note, do I remember correctly that once the shorty Elite had a single bed in the back with a seat on one side and fold up table?

1. Mini split that can heat/cool/filter/dehumidify.
  2. The whole roof in solar panels.
  3. Truma comfort plus (instant hot water and no wasted fresh/gray), with all the plumbing individually insulated (so recirculating hot water keeps cold water from freezing). 
  4. Add a washer/dryer (stacked or even combo if 66" of height can't be found) as an option - closet if not.  This would add 24" to length and give another closet or separate shower on the other side.
  5. I really like the rear dinette as our best views are usually out the rear window.  So I'd keep that.
  6. Easier way to convert from table to an actual bed -- there are drop down tables that go from table height to bed support height without all the unscrewing and storing of pillars.  Some of these also then work outside.
  7. Bathroom door as a pocket door or way to really be able to use front area as a bed.
  8. Ditch all the black panels and boxes on the interior and their LED lights.
  9. Dedicated waste bin solution in kitchen and bath

Between Olivers…

Also forgot...convection microwave that keeps the time when it loses power...  You'd figure "RV specific" would be built for power loss.   Almost as infuriating as my Toyota that has a GPS (ie access to very accurate time), cell phone app (more accurate times), but cannot set the time for itself, or deal with daylight savings.

Edited by WhatDa
  • Haha 1

Between Olivers…

• 2 weeks later...

Total length 27’/width 8.’ 

ladder from bumper to roof.

4 person dinette, OR, 2 recliners With flip side tables option.

Shower stall/dry bathroom

induction cooktop option

larger tv

30% Larger  windows in seating and sleeping areas, plus Add one above kitchen sink. 

Ducted Heat & A/C

Keep twin and queen option with space convertible to multipurpose, like current. 

Develop or link to a custom shop that retrofits RV parts with marine-grade components (an Ollie package)

Larger tanks

Dry weight 6000lbs, gvw 8000lbs. 

Come up with a suspension that extends  grease maintenance from  3k to 10k.   

Offer two suspension and tire options, one for those requiring more extreme use.

priced with all options 90k

Mac

9 hours ago, Mac said:

Offer two suspension and tire options, one for those requiring more extreme use.

LoL an extreme duty 8 foot wide, 27 foot trailer thats 6000lbs. 

It's funny to think about someone doing some crazy off-roadin with a giant trailer behind them. 

I would like to see better suspension though. 

Also an extreme version of the LE with twin beds would be pretty awesome, not that I would by it. It would make the best hunting trip camper on the market for two people who would prefer not to share a bed. 

I do like the 7' width. I can see down both sides with standard mirrors. None of those extend-a-mirror thingies that vibrated going down the road. Also made it easier, with the wireless cam to help, back down that narrow mountain road. But the GPS said it was open, not dirt, and not washed out. I like the idea of a bigger basement, and if present stuff were rearranged, I think it might be relatively easy to do...

Greetings,

The #1 reason for selling an Oliver is probably health followed by too small.  A 25/26' is really needed.  The largest cost is the R&D & molds, materials and labor cant me that much more.  Things Oliver needs to add is a quiet HVAC system. The one they are supplying is obnoxiously noisy.  CAN bus is absolutely necessary and not much more of a CapEx investment.  The latter would allow connectivity for all equipment, TPS, LP Fuel, etc. from your smart phone, iPad, or Android.  More batteries would be nice so as to not have to have a generator or shore power to last 3 days with AC (no convection MW) or 10 days without.  Last, I dont like the idea of cooking inside; would like to see more thought in slide out kitchens_JD.

Edited by JD_
spelling error

On 4/1/2020 at 1:32 PM, Mike and Carol said:

28’ X 7.5’, maybe 8’.  Walk around queen.  4 person dinette.  Dry bath.  Repositioned/quieter air conditioner.  Bigger refrigerator.  More and easier to access storage (improve current basement).  Bigger tanks - 50 gal fresh and gray, 30 gal black.  Lithium option with solar.  Bigger windows.  Better suspension (look at the Australians/Black Series/Kedron/etc).

This is it ^^^^^^

How much would a trailer built like an Ollie with these features weigh?  I am not sure I would be willing to tow it.

How much more would I pay?  $85k - $95k???

• Like 1

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BillATX said:

This is it ^^^^^^

How much would a trailer built like an Ollie with these features weigh?  I am not sure I would be willing to tow it.

How much more would I pay?  $85k - $95k???

I would guess 2,000-3,500 lbs.  If the tanks were bigger that weight would need to be added.  I would like a bigger Ollie but would not be able to justify much more than $80K.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS