Where Do You Store Your Ollie?

BillATX

Where so you store your trailer when you are not travelling in it?  Do you keep it at home or in a storage facility?  Is it covered?  Climate controlled?  Do you connect it to water/sewer/30A hookups when in storage?  When you are not travelling, how often do you access your trailer?

This will be our first travel trailer (RV of any kind).  We will probably travel in it 4-6 times per year and I am wondering about storage and maintenance.  I would love to keep it at home (for ease of access for maintenace and mods) , but I have no covered facility here.  I would love to hear your advice and best practices

Thanks in adavance,

Bill

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

We keep ours in a carport shelter in our backyard.  The sides are covered to block UV from the sun as much as possible. Had an electrician add a 30 amp plug so I can keep it plugged in to keep the batteries charged. I like having our Ollie close for easy access.  I can add pictures if it ever stops raining. 

• Like 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators

I would like to keep my RV at home but our HOA frowns on that.  I can bring it over for maintenance, cleaning etc but try to keep it at about 3 or 4 days.  I did have a 30a RV plug installed on the side of our house.

We store our trailer nearby at Boerne Boat and RV storage.  We have a covered spot with electricity.  They also have fully enclosed spots but they get a bit pricey.  It’s a gated facility with lots of cameras and several hundred RVs and boats.  Only one Oliver!  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Due to my home owner's association's rules I am prohibited from keeping my Oliver at my house.  Therefore, I keep it at a storage yard under a CalMark cover with a small solar panel connected in order to keep the batteries charged - The Oliver's solar panels will not work through the CalMark cover. And,  there are no hookups otherwise available in this yard.  During the winter I usually check in on the Ollie about every 6 weeks in order to check on the battery water level (I have 4 lead acid Trojan T-105's) and the dehumidifying measures inside.  The storage yard is gravel but I keep the Oliver poised on 2x8 boards with plastic sheeting between the tires and the boards.

By far, the best way to store is at your residence.  A heated garage with plenty of space around the Oliver (to allow you room to work of it) is the "gold" standard.  

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

In researching this topic, I came across a post from BackofBeyond.  He has built his own covered "Ollieport".  Nice work and good inspiration.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

Our trailer remains at our home under a carport shelter.  I installed a 30 amp electrical connection, which the trailer remain plugged in to keep the batteries charged.  The electrical is connected for about 20 days and then disconnected for a few days; this way the batteries are maintained in an excellent operating condition.  Plus the water is checked in the four T-105 batteries every 30 days.  A water connection for the trailer is available if needed.

We have always kept our travel trailers at home, which makes it nice.

• Like 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I just completed my garage for my truck and Oliver.  The total cost was much less thanks to Oliver making a quality trailer and the forum for information. My reasoning, I was looking to purchase a class a Rv, but I was having trouble justifying the high cost, high maintenance and high deprecation value and poor quality build. With the cost of the Oliver and my tv and this garage I was much less than a class A. My home sale price is higher rather than Rv depreciation. And no storage costs. It was a win win for us.  Mike and Carol my HOA  wasn’t to happy but nothing in the restrictions on the size that said I couldn’t. 

Edited by Landrover
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

We keep ours at a somewhat local Boat and RV storage facility with locked gates with over head cover. There are some complete enclosed bays none of them have electricity. As far as keeping batteries charged this has not been an issue even with Montana winters. Every year upon picking up our Oliver the batteries tend to be at 12.8 + volts. Its my understanding a fully charged lead acid battery can withstand temps to -50º F or more if memory serves me correct. Preference would be to keep at the house under cover but living in the old historical area of town lots are small, driveways are smaller and there just isn't the space for full time storage without giving up most if not all of the yard.

Legacy Elite II #70

Ours stores in a lower field, in sight of the house,  totally uncovered. It sits next to an out building that has 20amp power and water. However we have never plugged it in there since bringing it home in 2017. The solar panels keep the batteries topped off and ready to go. The water and power are great to use a pressure washer which would get barnacles off the boat and mud and salt off the Oliver. I certainly would not cover with a tarp. I have seen units where a dirty cover, buffering in the wind, have worn through the surface of an RV and scuffed the paint in many places. I have dropped in, in the winter, turned on the heat and watched tv or read a book. Plenty of power. We do use a Maquires Wash and Wax at the end and start of the season. Keeps the surface shiny and slippery. Ice and show seems to slide right off. I have had 1/2" inch of ice and some snow and the solar appears to keep on charging. Probably would do more damage trying to remove winter than just leave it. If we would get a couple of feet without a warming day, I might go down and clean some off. Probably severe heat, sun, and blowing dust/sand might make us reconsider an enclosure...

10 hours ago, BillATX said:

In researching this topic, I came across a post from BackofBeyond.  He has built his own covered "Ollieport".  Nice work and good inspiration.

Update - I had a little issue with birds trying to nest in the framework, but finally got that solved. I have come to dislike the center support column  (JD, I feel you) so I plan to remove it, and add a full length support LVL. But will have to wait for the world to restart....Otherwise all is good.

Ollieport  -  I like that - Tkx Bill.

I somehow left an interior light on for a few weeks, seems I could never get the batteries back up with the little solar, and few sunny days, eventually plugged it in when I was doing the  annual maintenance in my enclosed barndominium.   It now says fully charged with the springtime sun.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 1 month later...

We are hopefully going to get approval from our HOA to park our Ollie behind our home. The covenants state that a trailer or RV must not be seen from the road. Our lot is unique and private (on a Ridge) so our Ollie won’t be seen from any roads in the development. We have had our attorney review the covenants in advance before we submit our request to the HOA, He sees no reason why we cannot park our Ollie in our back yard since it will be out of sight per covenant rules. 

-photo of the tentative Ollie parking area. It’s a 12X45’ stretch of crush and run base which starts at the edge of the grass out to our fire ring and is concealed from public road view. If approved we might have a 5-6” 12X35’ slab poured and add a 30 amp receptacle in. Naturally a little tree trimming is going to happen. This is a work in progress for now.
edit- Cost for a few hours of grading the parking area and 23 tons of crush and run spread and leveled $900.00. Nothing fancy...but if we can make it happen, it will be nice parking it at our home.

A0B5ADE3-9301-4DB5-B950-0348ADE22EEB.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We moved into a newly built house six months before buying “Mouse”.... we picked a small floor plan, 1850 sq ft on one level, and a big attached RV bay, 42’x16’x16’ tall. It is insulated and sheet rocked with four south facing windows up high. Cost for the bay was $30,000, but that option also got us a fully insulated and sheet rocked garage. Covered secure RV storage is about $350 per month in this area. So in the 36 months since delivery we have “saved” $12,600, not counting the gas and miles on the truck we would have spent visiting the facility. Our small development has covenants that allows RV storage if out of sight. Out of the 24 homes, about ten have RV bays....

B26B84BB-0D23-4C62-A788-2F2CC9D9B3C7.thumb.jpeg.5b006170442c2a0d502b6c27b6ee4f6b.jpeg

There is a 120 volt 30 amp power socket inside the bay on the proper side, but no dump station. City code simply will not allow it. We live about 100 feet from the city boundary, if we were in the county it would not have been a problem. Since there is a composting toilet it isn’t a big loss. I sometimes dump a small amount of gray water in the gravel adjacent to the driveway slab. There is a fresh water hose bib inside with cold and hot water, so I can fill the fresh tank from inside. There is another cold bib outside for washing, as shown in that picture.

There is a double gate allowing full access to the rear, and I have had an Oliver guest overnight back there.  Having year round immediate access to the trailer is priceless and I have zero regrets. It can even be used as guest quarters and in case of a major power outage. I can’t run the propane stuff in winter with the doors closed, but I could run the 2400 watt generator in the back yard and have most of the electric appliances going in the trailer.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We pick up Hull #650 July 27th.  I am getting a bid on a shed build so I hope to have it covered.   We already have a friend store his 35' 5th wheel on our land so we may be accused of having a storage lot.  The 5th wheel will be left out in the field while the Ollie will be treated like royalty.  I have been asked if the 5th is ours and I always say no and they do not interest me at all.  My reply will be quite difference when we get our Ollie.

• Like 1

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

• Moderators

Ours has been outside, 247/365, for over 12 years. But, we use an expensive 3m marine paste wax, twice a year, to uv protect the gelcoat. Same wax we use on the 40 plus year old boat, which is too big to be stored undercover. 

Sherry

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

We store Beacon in our barn that was completed last spring before we even fully considered purchasing an RV.  The barn has a few nice features including a full seasonal bathroom, an outdoor shower on the first floor, and a small efficiency apartment on the back half on the 2nd floor.  The apartment has a nice view of our beach and newly constructed beach pavilion.  One additional nice item is, I set up our hose so I can have hot water to wash the cars and now the Oliver.  Friday is wash day for the Ollie as we are finally starting to get some warm weather.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I do not have  30 amp outlet in the barn yet.  I am looking for some advice, currently I have Beacon plugged in to a standard outlet using the 30 amp cord with an adapter at the wall socket to keep the 4 AGM batteries charged.  Is this ok?  Should I unplug the Ollie occasionally?  I would appreciate some feedback on this.                                      Thanks and stay healthy and safe!!

20200331_183408.jpg

20190704_152557.jpg

20200520_113839.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Super nice setup. I have a 30amp plug outlet and leave my Ollie plugged in 24/7 your battery’s should never overcharge with the elec system in the Ollie,  even plugged in with Just a extension cord.

Edited by Landrover
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Super nice setup. I have a 30amp plug outlet and leave my Ollie plugged in 24/7 your battery’s should never overcharge with the elec system in the Ollie,  even plugged in with Just a extension cord.

Mattnan your place looks like a nice spot for a Lobster rally lol.🦞🦞

Edited by Landrover

Yup Landrover, it is a great place for a Lobster rally!!!  Once this Covid 19 is under control we would be able to do something like that.  This is a great area; beach, boat launch, several lobster pounds near by and the Pemaquid Light House.  Lots to see and do.  We have a converted lobster boat in the harbor and see the lobster boats fishing all day from the house.  There are campgrounds in the area (one on our street) and we could host one or possibly 2 Ollies in the barn driveway.  We go camping in the winter down south as I cherish our summers here.  If folks are in mid-coast Maine please feel free to contact us.  We are about 1 hour north of Portland.  We feel very fortunate. Thanks

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Mattnan, I love your barn! And your location is beautiful!

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.