Smart Surge Protector

beaker

Like a lot of folks, my previous campers have given me the opportunity to have  something to tinker with and improve. As an engineer, I just can’t help but want to try to “make improvements”. 

I was reading through the Oliver Support site and came across the information on the Oliver’s integrated surge protector that has a display unit for showing error codes to indicate various power issues  

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Progressive surge protector with a “smart” one that will talk to an app on your phone, tablet or smart watch. 

A quick Google search revealed one made by Hughes Autoformers in California (https://hughesautoformers.com) (I’m not affiliated with them in any way).  

Here is a video showing how one guy integrated one into their Class A 

• Thanks 1

Something like this would make sense. Or maybe an outside display, or at least one visible outside. We have a portable EMS and like that we can tell immediately if there is a problem, before even plugging in. We don't have to go inside to see why or what might be the problem. I do have to lock it down, so it doesn't get "borrowed".

• Moderators

642F628F-BBB2-4063-A9DF-1EEFCCB5DADD.thumb.jpeg.6e109a403c4e2aa7e58ee2dfd0ec4968.jpegYou could add a remote display from Progress Industries to your existing surge protector or move the existing display to the battery box or the basement.

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, beaker said:

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Progressive surge protector with a “smart” one that will talk to an app on your phone, tablet or smart watch.

A quick Google search revealed one made by Hughes Autoformers in California (https://hughesautoformers.com) (I’m not affiliated with them in any way).  

That looks like a better solution than the progressive industries version.  I might have to upgrade.  

My ideal setup would be to have the portable version, but mount it in the trailer next to my MultiPlus, keeping the plug connections.  That way, I could easily bypass it if needed, and even keep my current PI portable as a backup.  

4 minutes ago, Overland said:

My ideal setup would be to have the portable version, but mount it in the trailer next to my MultiPlus, keeping the plug connections.  That way, I could easily bypass it if needed, and even keep my current PI portable as a backup.

I agree.  Best of both worlds.  No one can "borrow" it and easy to swap out if there is a problem.

I have their autoformer, which has made some saggy campground voltages usable.  My only observation is that they outsource their app to an offshore country that may or may not be to your liking.

Here is their privacy policy: https://www.privacypolicies.com/privacy/view/85a7abf571aa4f9d21d277074b742a1f

Here are their permissions on their app:

This app has access to:
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rwLocation

approximate location (network-based)

precise location (GPS and network-based)

pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rwPhotos/Media/Files

read the contents of your USB storage

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rwStorage

read the contents of your USB storage

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rwCamera

take pictures and videos

Other

view network connections

pair with Bluetooth devices

access Bluetooth settings

disable your screen lock

full network access

prevent device from sleeping

With all that combined, I'm not willing to install their app on my phone, maybe my standalone device that has none of my other data on it.  So then I'm back to square 1.

If I'm going to spend cash on the power system, I'd convert to 50A power to a charger, and then push all the feeds in the Oliver to come off two multiplus units.  So it'd be 50A Surge suppressor->50A charger->DC system/batteries->Inverter(s)->all AC loads.  Then I could run the microwave and AC at the same time, and wouldn't have to listen to my dehumidifier change speeds when the neighbor makes coffee.  I'll eat a little bit in efficiency, but hopefully save in Microwave/fridge/AC longevity. 

• Like 1

Between Olivers…