Critters

Dave judge

Honey Badger crystals. They are sprinkled around the interior, between the shells , as a preventative measure. Any mention of a honey Badger sends critters into a virtual frenzy of self destruction. Mice, rats, and other rodents , do not congregate anywhere a honey badger has staked a claim. Rest easy, no critters in an Oliver, some owners, excepted.

RB

• Haha 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On a more serious note, the double hull prevents them from getting up into the undercarriage, where most other trailers have some flimsy laminate or worse that they can get up into.  Our terrier is kind of upset with the lack of vermin - she's usually pretty good at getting pet fees and our fees refunded at hotels by pointing out their critter problem.

• Haha 1

Between Olivers…

Those pesky Asian beetles...the ones that look like Lady Bugs! Last Fall, we were getting ready to winterize, as we had an early winter event coming in. It was warm, sunny, and a beautiful day. I gathered antifreeze and other supplies. As I came around the stern of the trailer, in the warm sun, it must have been covered with at least 500 of those little pests. We were careful coming in and out as we changed anti freeze bottles, and pumped lines, and so forth. We didn't want those things in there. We probably only had to remove 3 or 4. This Spring "wake-up", I only found 2 "hulls". That tells me the Oliver is essentially tight, and pest free and resistant. We have had SOBs (some other brand) in the past and they used to get invaded. Nice not to have that cleanup...

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Regarding pests:

Is it not necessary to remove all vulnerable onboard "stuff" when you park your Oliver for more than a few days?  We have not had one unwelcome critter in our van, but I always remove, or put in overhead compartments, anything that can be eaten or used as nesting material.  We live in the country and rats and mice are an annoying way of life, especially problematic in our vehicles.  One reason being, we don't have a cat, but even when we did.  

Edit: (my computer crashed . . . fixed now)

We keep Cab Fresh repellent anywhere water lines come into the cabin and in the outside bays and storage compartments.  Just wanting to know if there are any precautions other take when it comes to preventing these annoying hijackers.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Regarding pests:

Is it not necessary to remove all vulnerable onboard "stuff" when you park your Oliver for more than a few days? 

Not sure what is considered vulnerable stuff.  We generally unpack food and clothes if we’re not going anywhere soon.  Out storage area is covered but not enclosed.  South Texas has plenty of bugs and critters but we’ve never had any kind of  invasion even when storing for a couple of months.  Olivers are pretty tight, presenting a real challenge for unwanted intruders.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Not sure what is considered vulnerable stuff.  We generally unpack food and clothes if we’re not going anywhere soon.  Out storage area is covered but not enclosed.  South Texas has plenty of bugs and critters but we’ve never had any kind of  invasion even when storing for a couple of months.  Olivers are pretty tight, presenting a real challenge for unwanted intruders.  Mike

By vulnerable I guess I am referring to things we stock for use in the RV . . . . . . bedding, towels, kitchen linens, cookware, paper towels, TP - things mice find useful for nesting; and I don't know why they chew up plastic, but they do.  We don't leave clothes, food, etc unless we plan to hit the road in a day or two.  Did leave our inflatable kayaks in the basement for a few weeks and a mouse chewed a hole in one of the storage bags.  Kayaks and associated gear now get brought in.  Not an issue with the Oliver, since these will be stowed in the pickup.  Sounds like the Oliver is pretty secure.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

How did mice get into the basement of a van? Was there a hole somewhere? That's usually an issue I hear about in Elkhart built fabric bottom/ thin sheathed bottom rvs .

In our 2008, the power cord is on a reel, and there's an opening that a mouse could possibly fit in,  if the cord is out . (Mice can theoretically squeeze thru a dime sized hole.) Everyone I know of, with this setup , stuffs the hole with a rag or foam.  Not an issue for us, as we almost never have power hookup, but, if I  do, you can bet I stuff the hole. One friend made a special wooden plug.

Not a big deal for you, as the new Ollies have a marine cord setup. No hole.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

By vulnerable I guess I am referring to things we stock for use in the RV . . . . . . bedding, towels, kitchen linens, cookware, paper towels, TP - things mice find useful for nesting; and I don't know why they chew up plastic, but they do.  We don't leave clothes, food, etc unless we plan to hit the road in a day or two.  Did leave our inflatable kayaks in the basement for a few weeks and a mouse chewed a hole in one of the storage bags.  Kayaks and associated gear now get brought in.  Not an issue with the Oliver, since these will be stowed in the pickup.  Sounds like the Oliver is pretty secure.

I was just thinking food.  We leave paper products, some clothes, beds made, etc.  I don’t know where a rodent could gain access to the interior of an Oliver.  I’ve got all kinds of stuff in the basement that is never unloaded, same with the closet inside.  We also store paper products under the dinette seat by the bath.  No issues.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

A couple of years ago I was camped under a tree that was covered with ants.  They dropped onto the Ollie and found the "weep" holes in the window tracks and were soon inside.  A quick spray took care of the problem and they have never returned - of course, I've never camped under that tree again either.

Over winter storage I've placed "sticky traps" inside, but, have never even caught one spider let alone anything else.

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I was just thinking food.  We leave paper products, some clothes, beds made, etc.  I don’t know where a rodent could gain access to the interior of an Oliver.  I’ve got all kinds of stuff in the basement that is never unloaded, same with the closet inside.  We also store paper products under the dinette seat by the bath.  No issues.

This, alone, is a great selling point  🚫 🐁 🐀 

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

This, alone, is a great selling point  🚫 🐁 🐀 

There are many great buying points too! 😄 👍🏻🇺🇸

• Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, Patriot said:

There are many great buying points too! 😄 👍🏻🇺🇸

Yes . . . .  I stand corrected 😏

Ray and Susan Huff