Airhead Composting Toilet

BillATX

Have any owners installed the Airhead toilet in their Ollies?

I would love to hear thoughts on how it performed and specifically how it was vented in the Oliver, and specifically where the fan was installed, whether it is necessary to install one or two fans, and whether the air flow created by towing created a problem.

I know that Oliver offers an option to install the Nature's Head, and the venting may be similar issues, although the Airhead fan tends to be installed away from the toilet and at the Nature's Head tends to be installed on the side of the toilet.

Hull #735 - 2021 Elite 1 (Shorty)  |  2021 Toyota Tundra

I believe that @Ahattar mentioned that he had one in his truck camper.  Just reading about them, I think they sound better than the Nature's head.  I like that they have a real seat and you don't have to open the whole thing up to remove the pee tank.  

• Like 1

Overland has some top notch memory.  I installed an Airhead years ago in my truck camper and there were things I liked better but there are some things on the NH that are better too.  Overall, its probably a toss up.  I actually just got back from my first 3 weeks in the Oliver so the comparisons are pretty fresh in my head.  Two major things the NH does better unless AH has changed in the last 10 years, urine redirect and the size of the pooper hole.  The AH always seemed to leak a little liquid and make more of a mess in the bowl.  Also, unless you had gps guided solids, it was almost impossible for a grown man to avoid the dreaded streak marks.  You end up using coffee filters and strategically laid TP to avoid the streaks.  With the NH, bombs away without much thought.  

As Overland said, the two main benefits to the AH are an actual seat and easier urine tank removal.  That said, I'm redirecting my urine to a holding tank anyway as we were emptying it almost daily and I go outside most of the time.  Big water drinkers.  The other thing is I think the AH solid tank itself was bigger because we used to get quite a bit more time between emptying, but we'll see once its actually warm enough to compost quicker.  The crank design also was a little better where the NH starts needing a fair amount of leverage pretty early on.  As far as the fan, it doesn't need much, I'm sure you can do it just as Oliver installs the NH.  The extra solid bucket from AH is also nice so you can remove the full one and let it compost a while longer before emptying.  Hope that helps.    

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought this nature’s head RV self contained composting toilet to be installed in my RV. It's an appropriate option. This product has durable construction with stainless steel hardware, simple to disassemble for easy dumping, features a low volume fan inside the toilet’s head to dissipate odor effectively. I was also thrilled to see how well it did, keeping my bathroom odor-free.