Front and Rear Leveler Jack Fuses

Within 48 hours of receiving my new rig (Hull #615) I managed to blow the driver side "leveler jack" fuse. After the usual language and self flagelation I figured out which of the three yellow fuse holders located just forward of the jack held the correct fuse. Then I blew it again. Hmmm, sez I, I did not blow the bow jack or the starboard jack... what am I doing differently with this one.  It turns out that if you change your mind about jack direction, LET GO OF THE SWITCH, then press it the way you want it to go. If you have the jack going in one direction and you reverse the switch position quickly, you stand a very good chance of blowing the fuse. The momentary current load for an instantaneous direction change must be pretty high! At least now I have a plethora of spare 30 amp MDL fuses...

Oh, yes,,, the yellow fuse holder for the driver side jack now has a dab of red paint on it, and the curb side has a dab of green paint.

• Thanks 1

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, theOrca said:

It turns out that if you change your mind about jack direction, LET GO OF THE SWITCH, then press it the way you want it to go. If you have the jack going in one direction and you reverse the switch position quickly, you stand a very good chance of blowing the fuse.

That’s good to know.  I carry some extra jack fuses, not easy to find, but have not had to use them.  I did get one jack stuck in the up position once and had to use the manual handle to screw it down enough to catch so the motor could do the rest.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

6 hours ago, Mainiac said:

The fuse holders are now together? Not by each jack? If that is the case the red and green (port and starboard) marks make a lot of sense.

Actually there are three of those yellow fuse holders just aft of the battery compartment, and accessible thru the forward hatch of the port side bunk bed . I now know what two of them do, but not the third. The front jack has it's own fuse holder right at the bottom of the jack...

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

8 hours ago, theOrca said:

Actually there are three of those yellow fuse holders just aft of the battery compartment, and accessible thru the forward hatch of the port side bunk bed . I now know what two of them do, but not the third. The front jack has it's own fuse holder right at the bottom of the jack...

According to my 2017 wiring diagram, for an Elite II, there are indeed 3 each 30 amp slow blow fuse holders, in that compartment. One to each rear stabilizer (my diagram calls them jacks). The 3rd one shows going to the front jack. I would pull that 'unknown' and see if the front jack still works. If it doesn't a drop of white paint might be in order. Wonder if the light has it's own fuse? I know they have modified the wiring harness a few times since ours was built, and the last one I don't believe has been published yet. I'll have to wander down today and see if I have an "extra" fuse holder on front...

I don't think you could actually blow up a trailer stabilizer. That clacking noise you hear is the gearbox over-ride clutch operating when the jackscrew bottoms out or tops out inside the tube. It might also protect the gear teeth from operator induced damage.

FYI, when changing direction of anything with moving parts, whether it's a stabilizer, a metal lathe, or your car's transmission, always wait for all the parts to stop moving before changing directions. Mechanical mechanisms have momentum, and you can't expect them to survive for very long without letting the parts stop moving first..... In your car, you will eventually wreck the parking pawl by shifting to Park while rolling. Interesting article on what "rocking a stuck car" does inside the transmission; ... https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/how-to-rock-a-stuck-vehicle-without-burning-up-your-transmission/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.