Bad smell in camper

Ronb

We are camping this weekend and have noticed a foul smell in the camper.  It appears to be coming from around the stovetop area ( not a propane smell).  I removed the top kitchen drawer and found a plumbing vent pipe under the stove which is where  the smell appears to be coming from. Haven’t had this issue before.  Camper is only a month old so the grey tank should not need to be sanitized yet.  Any suggestions.  I’ve been trying Oliver service all day but cannot get anyone to the phone.  

Thanks,

Ron

• Moderators

You shouldn’t have any smell.  I would check to make sure that vent pipe is securely connected to the rest of the plumbing under the sink.  Our vent pipe was loose where it attached to the top of the black tank, which resulted in some smells our first couple of months.  It was easily repaired.  Try sending an email to Jason.  I emailed him with a question this week and had a reply in about an hour.  Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

That vent pipe you see behind the drawer has an air admittance valve on the top. It allows air to go in to vent the system, but doesn't let air out, for obvious reasons! Kind of like a back flow preventer in a water line. These valves have been known to fail now and again so that could be a reason. If Oliver installed it right, it should screw off for easy replacement, haven't checked mine lately. For what it's worth, I also always add Happy Camper black tank treatment to the gray tank as well, especially in the summer, it works great for both tanks. Follow the pipe down to the tank, check all the connections, the problem could also be as Mike described above. Good luck!

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

On 4/17/2020 at 5:05 PM, Ronb said:

We are camping this weekend and have noticed a foul smell in the camper.  It appears to be coming from around the stovetop area ( not a propane smell).  I removed the top kitchen drawer and found a plumbing vent pipe under the stove which is where  the smell appears to be coming from. Haven’t had this issue before.  Camper is only a month old so the grey tank should not need to be sanitized yet.  Any suggestions.  I’ve been trying Oliver service all day but cannot get anyone to the phone.  

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Hoping you got your issue resolved. Any thoughts and feedback appreciated on what the issue was. 
-Patriot

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Are you sure the smell isn't coming from the galley sink?  If the p-trap goes dry, grey tank smells can enter the trailer.  If this is the issue, adding water into the trap will keep the smell where it belongs . . . down there.

• Like 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After dumping the grey tank and hitting the road, the next time we stopped  there was a strong odor in the camper. Normally there is not much of a rush of water wen draining the grey tank but under the right circumstances like fullness of the tank and tilt of the camper you can get a pretty good flow going. What I thought was  the big flow might have caused the water in the pea trap in the shower floor drain to be sucked out allowing the odor to come up and into the camper.  Another time my wife accidentalIy sucked the water out of the shower p-trap while vacuuming the floor.  That could cause odors to infiltrate the cabin as well.  I  filled it with water and had no further issues.  

Edited by Ken_Judy
Additional thoughts
  • Thanks 1

So are any of you folks with cabin smells using a grey tank treatment? That won’t make burping go away, but at least the burps smell vaguely scented and vaguely lemony fresh.... sort of.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

So are any of you folks with cabin smells using a grey tank treatment? That won’t make burping go away, but at least the burps smell vaguely scented and vaguely lemony fresh.... sort of.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Good question.  When we’re camping we don’t use anything in the gray tank.  The black tank gets a detergent pod and a little Calgon water softener.  When not camping we add Happy Camper to both tanks.  Happy Camper has no odor and just looks like a white powder but we have not had any odors.  I do keep plugs in the sinks when not camping to slow evaporation from the traps.  We’re also careful with what we let go down the drain into the gray tank.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS