Non-liquid water treatment for RV tanks?

I can’t find Chlorox around here, every time I get to a store all the cleaning supplies are gone. I can’t find a seller that has it and will ship it to my home.  I was wondering about purification tablets. Almost all of these are for very small quantities for a hiker or for a bugout bag, the dosage is usually 1 tablet per liter. But this one is 1 tablet per 5 liters.. ....  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019KZ0GVI/?tag=wfmag-20......

I found a UK product that is for VERY large tanks (1.6 tablets per 100 gallons) but they won’t ship to the USA and they are out of stock anyway.... https://rmsupply.co.uk/tablets/67-oasis-3000-water-purification-tablets-5gm-100-tablets.html

Can anybody point me to an affordable product that will treat a 30 gallon tank and associated plumbing? Something with a dosage rate in between the two products I mentioned? I am sure it’s out there, for those folks who don’t normally like liquid bleach. That first one would work but it would take more than 30 tablets for an Ollie water system.

My only bottle of bleach is expired and nearly empty, and it doesn’t pass the sniff test;(

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Couple of unscientific thoughts.

Have you consider hydrogen peroxide? It is also a very effective disinfectant and bleach. It is available in food grade normally 35% solution and can be ordered online if not available locally and doesn't smell nearly as bad as Chlorox. To that I will also add that most, perhaps all municipal water supplies do have some amount of chlorine added to the supply. To my way of thinking this alone should disinfect most holding tanks. IOW's fill tank and lines let set overnight or for some period, then drain and refill. 

Under no circumstance we do not drink water from our holding tanks anyway. Too risky no matter what but the main reason is those holding tanks create a terrible taste. The water from them is unpalatable IMHO. We carry additional BPA free 5 gal jugs full of fresh water with us. Two of them last for quite awhile if only using for drinking and cooking. We only use the fresh water holding tank for dishes and showers never food and drink.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators

We've used Purogene instead of bleach for years. It's more expensive, but  I have some issues with chlorine.  

But, honestly,  if you don't drink from the holding tanks, if I were you, I'd up the concentration of your "expired" bleach, sanitize, refresh, and go camping.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Potassium permanganate?   Overdose and it’ll stain everything pink.  A dry chemical found in the big box hardware store someplace near the water softeners and water filters.  The smallest amount they sell will last a lifetime.  I was using it years ago to sanitize tropical fish tanks instead of bleach because it breaks down faster after it’s intended use and I couldn’t risk residual bleach in my tanks.  It’s used in many water treatment plants as an initial treatment.  Very reactive.  Not something to mess with casually, but easily found.  I think I used it a few times around 2004-5 to sanitize the tanks in our old camping trailer.  I don’t remember the dosage, but you’ll probably have to mix up a stock solution of the crystals before diluting it further.  

Ill mention the part again where it’ll turn everything pink if overdosed, it’s very reactive, and not for casual use.  

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderators

Clorox is available online at walm art . Com, btw. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We don’t drink directly from the tanks, I filter that water through a 1 gallon pitcher type water filter. I just want to shock the system as a precaution, I would prefer the tank supply to be reasonably pure for showering and hand washing. Plus I don’t want stuff growing in the dead end lines through lack of use.

Since I started this thread, my wife discovered that Office Depot has regular strength household bleach in stock locally, I bought two gallons online and will just drop in to collect them tomorrow. It pays to check non-traditional sources sometimes, for when the big box stores have been “cleaned out”, so to speak. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I get my chlorine at the pool store.  I have also used Purogene with good results.  There is an old post recommending a water treatment company that supported RV's that sold Purogene.  Searching turns up several posts.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
  • Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

There is a lot of information on the web regarding using common pool chlorine as a water sanitizing agent similar to using bleach.  I live in Florida where we use liquid (versus powder) chlorine in our pools and for other uses like using a garden sprayer with a deluded chlorine mix to treat mold, fungus, alge, etc. before power washing decks, patios, Lana is, etc.  

• Moderators

A word of caution about liquid chlorine from the pool stores.

It is usually in the 8 to 10% concentration of chlorine.  Where as Clorox is actually sodium hypochlorite with a concentration of 6%.

So pool chlorine is stronger, but cheaper.  Use it with caution.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Typo
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

John,

Like SeaDawg mentioned, Purogene may be what will work for you.

I haven't personally used it yet, but bought a quart when I bought my filters. It seems to tick all the boxes for sanitizing the water system.
A little spendy compared to bleach for sure, but a little is supposed to go a long way...and it is available!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter