My new ( used) 2016 Ollie

MaryRn

• Moderators

The refrigerator fan pulls air up through the vents on the outside of the trailer next to the door.  I have a 2016 also, and I rarely turn it on.  If it is hot (upper 90s here in TX) I will run it, especially if the sun is shining on the door side of the trailer.  It dissipates heat generated by the fridge.   Hope this helps!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Some hull numbers have fridges with automatic fans, with a temperature switch, it all depended on how the units were configured when they were shipped to the factory. I would rather have a switch like yours. My fan failed (horrible squealing) and there was no way to shut it off except to unplug the wires going to it from the control board. You can reach those wires (at the bottom access panel), but you canNOT reach the fan itself to change it without pulling the entire fridge into the cabin. The fan is right between the two sets of coils, and buried behind fiberglass. All last season I had no problems with my fan not operating. Enjoy your fan switch!

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3296-how-to-dometic-refrigerator-cooling-fan-noisy-disconnect-the-power-wire/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Mike is correct.  However, I normally leave my fan on since it helps move the hot air generated by the fridge out from the rear of the fridge thus making the fridge more efficient.  On my fan there is even a sensor that will automatically turn the fan on when the temperature behind the fridge gets above something in the 70's and turn it off when the temps go below that same figure.  The main purpose of the switch is (obviously) to manually shut that fan off.  Why would you shut it off then if it improves the efficiency?  Well, the first time you are camped out in the middle of nowhere and all is quiet, you will realize that there is a motor running - that motor will be your fridge fan and it will drive you nuts - unless you are a very sound sleeper.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If these switches were actually installed to shut down a fan that is bothering the owner (instead of manually turning it on in place of an automatic switch) the label should say so. Perhaps “Refrigerator Fan Disable” would be better. Vague labels are a nuisance.

My fan appears to be a computer fan, which was never intended to get very dirty. I bet that my towing on dusty roads killed its bearings.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.