First Aid Kit

Patriot

If there are threads on this topic my apologies, my search did not reveal any when I typed in First Aid. Mods redirect if need be.
We are planning to take delivery of Hull #634 mid June and we want to have a really nice first aid kit on board.
We also hope to update our CPR and First Aid training at some point in the near future.

Suggestions on a well stocked First Aid Kit in the $150-200 range suggestions welcomed. What’s everyone using?

Thanks!

-Patriot

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Not sure you might need such an expensive kit, unless you have the training to use? At Sportsman Guide you can get some military surplus kits that are relatively extensive, there is usually even surgical kits. We carry a small kit in the cabinet, plus a kit in the truck. Plus a small bottle of Peroxide. We have added EMT scissors and a curved tip pair to the kit. Tweezers were added, along with Kling. One later addition has been finger/thumb bandages. Again, get a kit, see what it has and then adapt to your needs, expertise, and destination.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

A basic kit gives you most of what you may need bandaids, etc. i also carry over the counter items alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic ointment, also over the counter meds aspirin, Tylenol, Benadryl etc. your kit should ad any personal items you may need. Speaking to your local fire station or Ems service also helps.  I have been seriously considering a portable AED  not  only for myself but for anyone who might need it. Help sometimes can be a long way away.

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

We got this one just before we went to Hohenwald to pick up our trailer.  About $40.  We haven’t had to use it much, fortunately!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DQY776/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.jpeg.904c1de66b4a9847e50ea26468ed14e4.jpeg

Edited by Mike and Carol
Insert image
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I believe it was John Davies that did a post about first aid kits a number of months ago.  Perhaps he will chime in on this topic.

Back (way back) when I was a life guard I was jealous of the couple of other guards that got a chance to use their training for CPR.  All I ever got was the chance to swim blankets out into the surf in order to provide a cover for those ladies that had lost their tops in the waves 😁.

Bill

• Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 4/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, topgun2 said:

I believe it was John Davies that did a post about first aid kits a number of months ago.  Perhaps he will chime in on this topic.

Back (way back) when I was a life guard I was jealous of the couple of other guards that got a chance to use their training for CPR.  All I ever got was the chance to swim blankets out into the surf in order to provide a cover for those ladies that had lost their tops in the waves 😁.

Bill

😂 Bill, you were the man for the job! 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Back in the day we always used to carry disposable gloves. Guess we have to consider it again, along with face masks. We kept a pair of gloves in a 35mm film canister attached to the zipper of the coat. Canisters are gone, but could use a pill bottle. Seems like the better prepared you are, the less likely you are to use it. Hope this is the case here.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I have always carried some sort of first aid kit, its my Boy Scout training  - at an early age. I have found over time, the need to update the kits, is forgotten  - mostly due to lack of use - a good thing.  I have probably updated my original "wilderness" kit 3-4 times, and similar to the travel kit. Given our new paradigm I probably need to review what we have in the various kits.  If I were honest, I'm behind here.  The mention of training really hits home, I'm positive some relearning would be in order for me and mine. Preparation is the best preventative I've discovered, certainly keeps "fate" at bay.  

As I have been told - Failure to plan, is a plan to fail - I prefer to put together my own kits, and keep them stored in waterproof containers, in individual segments, so I can take the essential's on hikes, and such, and yet still have a large comprehensive kit if needed. I have a small ancient kit - updated  -just for short hikes near the house, it goes in the backpack - just in case. Haven't needed it since I started carrying it, problem is,  I don't carry anything when I run. Living on the edge...... has its risks.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Topgun2, that's a good thread over on fgrv. Thanks for the link.

Patriot, I don't know why a search on "first aid" comes up with nothing. Didn't work for me, either, in various combinations.

Here's a link to an old thread on First Aid kits that you may find useful. 

I, too, think it's helpful to build your own, but a small commercial kit isn't a bad place to start. We have several kits we've built, in various sizes and complexity, that we carry, depending on the trip. 

Red cross is currently offering a small discount on many of its online classes in first aid and cpr for anyone who wants to take a refresher course, but doesn't need a card.  https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/online-safety-classes/all-online-classes

And, American Heart Association sells a cpr home training kit, complete with Mini Anne dummy, online. https://cpr.heart.org/en/cpr-courses-and-kits/cpr-anytime

Thought I might mention these, since some of us have some time on our hands these days... 

Sherry

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Don't forget the super glue. Vets, and some docs, are sealing and closing wounds with super glue. It works well and doesnt take up any room. Would even fit in the pocket while out for a run...

Edited by Mainiac
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2