2020 RV Travel ideas, possibilities, opinions.

BackofBeyond

With the rumblings of park openings, and perhaps campgrounds and boondocking reopening as the Covid 19 restrictions are relaxed in many areas, I have begun to wonder about the possibilities   - during  next 3 - 4  months for RV travel and places to go - regulations permitting.  

I don't want to rehash the whole topic of personal isolation, risk, politics, and such, just the thought that the opportunities may exist to actually take my Ollie out west - and do some exploring  -  6 ft. at a time. 

As we usually shy away from the populated spots, I am hoping enough areas and rules are relaxed enough to permit camping with or without hookups.  I don't need anything but a spot, the rest - we have.....its an Ollie after all, Solar, etc. I would head to Moab, but even the BLM type areas have been closed. Other than the commercial RV places, it appears slim Pickens.  

Right now - today -  it doesn't appear we have many,  if any,  options. I am hopeful - come Mid may - that changes. I would like to head to elevation, west of Texas, north of NM, and will have until about mid July open. So wishful thinking, constrained by the current situation. has me stymied.  

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Once the Texas State Parks open for campers we will be there, probably just the local parks until this virus situation gets an improvement.  We were thinking about heading to southern Colorado and NE Arizona (Payson area) in July and early August.  I think Alabama is on the calendar for September.  We’ll probably do some Midwest travel before/after the rally.  I’m hopeful all this will be possible!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I've heard that most KOA's and other private CGs are open, which probably isn't of interest except that they could provide a night's stop along the way or a place to refill and dump tanks.  If I were headed out, I'd probably look to USFS and BLM dispersed camping as my primary/only option, but perhaps like Mike said, some of the state and even national parks may start to open in the next few months.  

I have to admit that the thought of Yellowstone without tour busses is appealing, but then I know I'm only one of about 6 million having the same thought.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Overland said:

I have to admit that the thought of Yellowstone without tour busses is appealing, but then I know I'm only one of about 6 million having the same thought.  

Oh, I thought it was just me.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Well, I'm going to start spring cleaning and checkup on the camper tomorrow.   I'm going to be ready to go, when we can. 😃

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

USFS and BLM were certainly in my first thoughts. State and local county parks have been really convenient in the past, and any openings, however limited,  would be great. Seems the next several weeks will give us a good idea on what the direction of openings will be, and how may states will be open - without 14 day isolation restrictions.  Ollie is ready now, but I do need to review the associated "we need this" pile. Seems if services and opportunities are limited, I should rethink a few must haves - I may even think about a small gen set - which I've not needed before - if the sun stays out I'm good - but ..... the sporadic Elec hook up may not. Will travel with a full tank of H2O, and a few extra 6 gal containers;  not my usual MO. Seems the extra payload of the GMC will come in handy.

I'm going to do some route pre planning across Texas, into NM, head north, go where ever, head to Flagstaff on return - for family time, and then head home. This is a very familiar route for us, and as such,  we rarely did any preplanning, now it seems prudent.  The scenery through Texas will be much different this time - with the oil patch now in turmoil, I expect it to look much different than last year!  Been making that stretch yearly since 1975, its a good predictor of the nations energy economy. 

What I can't wrap my head around is demand - will there be a large contingent of pent up rv/campers - gotta get out there - or will it be - need to work, stay  home, get lives back in order?  I tend to think it will be small demand, limited services, more opportunity if your not a full service camper.

One benefit - fuel is going to be - cheap cheap cheap!

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

3 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

USFS and BLM were certainly in my first thoughts. State and local county parks have been really convenient in the past, and any openings, however limited,  would be great. Seems the next several weeks will give us a good idea on what the direction of openings will be, and how may states will be open - without 14 day isolation restrictions.  Ollie is ready now, but I do need to review the associated "we need this" pile. Seems if services and opportunities are limited, I should rethink a few must haves - I may even think about a small gen set - which I've not needed before - if the sun stays out I'm good - but ..... the sporadic Elec hook up may not. Will travel with a full tank of H2O, and a few extra 6 gal containers;  not my usual MO. Seems the extra payload of the GMC will come in handy.

I'm going to do some route pre planning across Texas, into NM, head north, go where ever, head to Flagstaff on return - for family time, and then head home. This is a very familiar route for us, and as such,  we rarely did any preplanning, now it seems prudent.  The scenery through Texas will be much different this time - with the oil patch now in turmoil, I expect it to look much different than last year!  Been making that stretch yearly since 1975, its a good predictor of the nations energy economy. 

What I can't wrap my head around is demand - will there be a large contingent of pent up rv/campers - gotta get out there - or will it be - need to work, stay  home, get lives back in order?  I tend to think it will be small demand, limited services, more opportunity if your not a full service camper.

One benefit - fuel is going to be - cheap cheap cheap!

RB

Lake Guntersville State Park  May !4th - 17th should be empty. Lol 😝 

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

We just got back (two days ago) from camping at mistletoe state park in Georgia. Nice park and we had a great site overlooking the lake with plenty of space. RV sites were about 2/3 occupied. South Carolina state parks opened today and Tennessee state parks are taking reservations for 5/15 forward. 

• Like 1

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg