First Aid on the Road

pam roach

Moderator note: Split from the Welcome forum

Hope you had a good childhood -I did. My mom was a Cub Scout leader, a Boy Scout Troop leader and a Girl Scout Leader. And she raised seven children without going insane! Well..maybe a little!! Ask David...

Anyway, we have always packed a first aid kit on all of our trips land and water.. It has been used a lot on this trip!!!! Cold medicine, ibuprofene, peroxide and immodium....these in particular- not necessarily in that order (LOL)

I suggest that we all brush up on our first aid response skills as you never know what could turn a wonderful sunny day into a tragedy. We had a wonderful friend with us today at the car show in Spokane that choked on a peice of food. Probably thirty people were watching this occur-but did not realize he was truly in trouble until he gave the universal sign (pointing to his mouth/throat area) We have been trained numerous times on the "dummies" but today was the real thing using the Heimlech Manuever. In seconds the danger passed and response was spontaneous-but in looking back if we had not had this knowledge--it could have been bad...but it wasn't!!!!

We suggest to just do a little brushing up on first aid techniques and if anyone has any suggestions on critical items to carry in a first aid case..please share...

By the way, if someone gets bit by a snake- I'm not sucking out the poison!!! Someone else will have to be in charge of that one!

Pam :idea:

• Moderators

Great story Pam ! Which one of you guys gave the "HUG OF LIFE " ? ( The Heimlech )

By the way, I notice by your late posting times, that you guys are really putting in some long days out there !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

One of the main ingredients of first aid is being prepared, you know, the scout thingy !

Decals on the Oliver's rear window and the rear window of the Jeep show that we are members of AirLife and that emergency information, you know, stuff like meds, ect., is in a zip lock baggie, clearly labeled in the refrigerator.

Our cell phones both have a listing in the directory of, "ICE", or Emergency Contact Information.

Here is a photo of the decals and the baggie:

AirEvac.jpg

Please list things that you do to be prepared for a emergency, so we can all improve on our notifications, ect..

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Because weight is a factor when towing with a V6, we tend to put things we need into small light weight kits. These kits are in handy but out of the way places, to conserve space. For example, the nylon cased firstaid kit is always under the driver's seat for immediate access. Towing/recovery and road hazzard kit is in the back of the Jeep With the fire extinguisher. They are placed togather for this photo. JeepFirstAidKit.jpg

• Moderators

Good posts, Mountainborn. Knowing just where to find important equipment and information is just as important as having it in the first place.

We keep a small first aid kit in a bag hanging in the trailer closet, and a few essential items in the glove box. I try to check the first aid kit for up to date supplies and replacements before each trip. (Usual stuff: small scissors, tweezers, guaze, bandaids, alchohol swabs, gloves, neosporin, sprain wraps, burn pads, cold meds, pain relievers, benadryl, etc.) Paul has had complete training; I've had some. We used to have a small booklet of first aid instructions in the kit, but it disintegrated years ago. Note to self: replace it! Also, I like your idea of allergy and medical instructions in the refrigerator in bags. I'm going to do that, too. Already have emergency contact on the cell phone.

Sherry

PS One of our friends flies for AirEvac Lifeteam. He's a great guy.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Got the refrigerator idea from another forum, and it is beginning to be recomended quite often now.

I remember when a friend over on Casita club rolled his TV and Casita in a damaged highway shoulder accident. I thought then while looking at the photos, that the refrigerator was likely the closest thing to a safe, so far as being able to survive a bad accident. We have even considered keeping our medications in the refrigerator, for that reason.

• Moderator+

We have even considered keeping our medications in the refrigerator, for that reason.

Don't keep meds in the fridge unless they are supposed to be there. Nothing short of the shower has more moisture around it. Moisture and/or direct sunlight are meds worst enemy. They will deteriorate or go bad very quickly. Keep them in their original containers from the pharmacy, this will protect them from light and moisture.

Sorry, the pharmacist came out of me......

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

We keep our meds in the cabinet with that other morning precious stuff... the coffee and filters.... :lol: Thanks, Steve, for sharing the pharmacy input. We appreciate it.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.