City and Fresh Water Intake Overflow

If you plan to learn, you might as well get the correct tools. I strongly recommend the stainless pex clamps instead of the copper rings. They are WAY easier to install, they are very simple to remove with the twist of a flat screwdriver (you have to chisel or saw a copper ring off - that will make you swear) and you can buy the crimp tool and a good assortment of rings and a few plastic elbows and splices at Home Depot for under $75.

Another advantage is that these parts are perfect for use around the home and for underground irrigation connections. The ratcheting tool is easy to use and won’t release until there is the correct tension. I find it impossible to crimp a big 1” ring by hand (I am a little feeble) but it is simple enough to slide a steel tube over each handle for extra leverage. The smaller rings are no worries.

https://www.sharkbite.com/products/pex-clamp-tool (HD has this for $53.)

https://www.sharkbite.com/products/stainless-steel-clamp-ring (Most Ollie lines are 1/2” with a very few 3/4” ones.)

You will also need a pex tube cutter, so that the end is square and not crushed. HD sells 5 and 10 foot lengths of tubing for dirt cheap, or you can have an Ace Hardware employee cut whatever length you need off the big rolls. Pex is good stuff, I used to really like copper but this has so many advantages.

Finally.... if you decide to move the check valves, make sure the lines that go from them to the fill ports will gravity drain - no weird humps or loops that could trap water, it should all dribble out the fitting. I think this might be a reason why Oliver installs them so close to the outside....

Please, post some pictures of the repair, I have never even looked under that floor area.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I'll only add - the shark bites- although much easier to install - do not have my confidence of lasting in a vibration laden  environment.  I have personally seen them fail in a static home environment more than once. One instance saw water run for a month - before the owner returned to a very wet home, and a heck of a water bill.  The fitting had been installed by a competent plumber in a remodel. 

I have the necessary tools - due to a former DYI  build - and although expensive for a one and done job- that is the way I would go.  What is it worth to be driving down the pothole  filled  road- and not worry about the damn fitting letting go - additionally, you will most likely need some measure of tubing - so as has been mentioned, go ahead and relocate to a warmer spot. And make it one and done - forever. Good luck and happy trails.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

In regards to the push-in Shark Bite vs crimped..... most crimp fittings have enough space to install two rings. If you are anal like me, for a fitting that will be really hard to reach in the future (inside a sheetrock wall) double the clamps and you will sleep better. And use brass fittings instead of plastic. The steel rings are less than $0.50 each so it is cheap insurance. 

Water running inside a house for a month.... yikes! I turn off the main valve if we leave for more than a couple of days. Water damage is no fun.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 3 weeks later...

So these were the two brass connectors, and you can see the full split down the length of them. Oliver was very responsive and got me the parts quickly. I finally got around to changing them out yesterday. It was a tight spot to work in, but honestly the most frustrating part was trying to wrap the plumbers tape around the threading of the intake in such a tight space - that stuff twisted and stuck to everything but the threading. Took about 2 hours total, but we are back in business. Thanks everyone for your input.

brass_connectors.JPG

• Thanks 3
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ollie404 said:

So these were the two brass connectors, and you can see the full split down the length of them. Oliver was very responsive and got me the parts quickly. I finally got around to changing them out yesterday. It was a tight spot to work in, but honestly the most frustrating part was trying to wrap the plumbers tape around the threading of the intake in such a tight space - that stuff twisted and stuck to everything but the threading. Took about 2 hours total, but we are back in business. Thanks everyone for your input.

brass_connectors.JPG

My question: do we know the cause of the above fitting's failure, so as not to duplicate the situation?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg