Weather stripping around the windows

Florida is tough on anything outside so I spent the last few days washing, lightly compounding and polishing our Oliver.  Our side window weather strips are look pretty bad and no amount of soaking in bleach brings them back to white.  The back emergency window while different, has black molding it cleans up and looks better than the white in my opinion.  I remember seeing that someone replaced the white with black weather stripping but for the life of me I can't find a post about it.  Does any know the right size and where to purchase this black weather stripping?  

IMG_9158.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Edited by Foy_Mirna

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Sorry I can’t answer your question, but I have one. Have you been using anything on those moldings? They look pretty gross. Would 303 Protectant be effective?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Good morning Foy and Mirna,

Mossey

It all about what you search for.  I did weatherstrip and molding but not gasket!  Thank you!

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

5 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Sorry I can’t answer your question, but I have one. Have you been using anything on those moldings? They look pretty gross. Would 303 Protectant be effective?

John Davies

Spokane WA

No, I use 303 protectant and it protects clean vinyl and unfortunately does not clean dirty vinyl in my experience. 

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Will the black weather stripping eventually bleed with time? Just a thought?

I was wonder that but I am going to 303 them once a month with is wash.  We will see it that helps with the bleeding.  

• Like 1

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Will the black weather stripping eventually bleed with time? Just a thought?

My trailer came with the black weatherstripping. It does not bleed.  I do pull it out when I wash to clean the window tracks.  I drop them in the bucket to clean then use some 303.  No issues, unlike the gasket around the porch lights!

BTW, after asking Jason about replacement gaskets and porch light covers I bought some new ones and a sheet of rubber.  The new lights are about the same shape but with an aluminum cover, not plastic.  They were half the price of what Oliver uses.  I’ll do a post once I have them installed with pictures.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

10 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

My trailer came with the black weatherstripping. It does not bleed.  I do pull it out when I wash to clean the window tracks.  I drop them in the bucket to clean then use some 303.  No issues, unlike the gasket around the porch lights!

BTW, after asking Jason about replacement gaskets and porch light covers I bought some new ones and a sheet of rubber.  The new lights are about the same shape but with an aluminum cover, not plastic.  They were half the price of what Oliver uses.  I’ll do a post once I have them installed with pictures.  Mike

Really valuable info Mike. Thank you!

• Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

At $5.17 per foot that glass seal is quite expensive. How many feet would be needed for an entire Ollie LE2?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

17’, per Mossemi.  2’ for the bath window and 5’ each for the larger ones.  I was just about to go ahead and order some, even though you’re right that it seems too expensive for what it is.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

JD,

As someone that lives in a tropical climate and does not have a hanger to park "the dog house" in, replacing the outside window gasket may be the best $100 I ever spent.

Not only does my trailer look better it also saves me time and although I am retired, my time still has value.  I would rather do a more interesting mod on the trailer.

And remember, we worry about mold and mildew year round in Florida instead of salt on the highway.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Overland said:

17’, per Mossemi.  2’ for the bath window and 5’ each for the larger ones.  I was just about to go ahead and order some, even though you’re right that it seems too expensive for what it is.  

But unlike a Valentines Day dinner and drinks, I will still use it next week and the next.  In fact, mine has been in use for about 11 months.  So it works out to about $0.29 a day so far.  And my back window came from the factory with black molding that still looks great after nearly 3 years.  Which means my $100 investment is just like my 401K, it’s going down every day.
At the end of the day, each of us buys something for our Oliver hobby that other Ollie owners might think is a waste of money.

Mossey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Looks great! 

Thank you,

-Patriot

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Following...please post your R&R on the new lights and gaskets. 

• Like 2

AZARCACODEGAIDILINIAKSKYMEMDMAMIMNMOMTNE

I just updated mine yesterday from white to black because the white ones were showing some mold/mildew stains and were getting hard to keep clean.  For all 3 large windows and 1 small bathroom window on my Elite II, I ordered 18' of the weather-stripping (H109-376 from Pelland Enterprises), just to make sure I had a little extra.  Before and after photos below.  It cuts easily with a new, sharp utility knife blade.  Use a carpenters square to get a nice perpendicular /square cut end.  And note that each window gasket on the 3 big windows is a slightly different length since the center vertical upright is a little different location on each window.  So use the original gasket from each window as your starting point.  I made mine a little long to start and then did a couple of install, check, remove, trim, re-install go-rounds to get mine right.   My original white gaskets were cut a little short and had a gap at the ends, as you can see in the picture of the original white gasket. There was a gap at top and bottom at each end because they were cut a bit short at the factory.spacer.png

IMG_5771.jpg

IMG_5772.jpg

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5775.jpg

Edited by FrankC
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

• Moderators

FrankC - 

After the install - how much did you have left over?  Was the 18 feet you ordered the right amount?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

18 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

FrankC - 

After the install - how much did you have left over?  Was the 18 feet you ordered the right amount?

Bill

Strangely enough, I have about 3 feet left over, so I think Pelland was a bit generous with what they sent me. I didn't measure how long the bulk length was that I received before I started cutting it, but Pelland must have sent me ~20'.

• Thanks 1

I will replace mine today - will measure what  I take off - and post - I don't remember how much I ordered.  

Update:

Each window took 58 inches +/- a touch. 14.5 will do it, I ordered 17' got about 17'.

I like the look much better.

Edited by BackofBeyond
update
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
On 5/5/2020 at 12:19 PM, BackofBeyond said:

Update:

Each window took 58 inches +/- a touch. 14.5 will do it, I ordered 17' got about 17'.

I like the look much better.

Did you do the bathroom window?

Mossey

Call the factory and see if they have replacements...or fInd out the brand of window and size...call the window factory and order new...that mildew will never come off once stained. I used 303 on all my weatherstrips, mouldings...I am detailing my 2004 truck that sits outside and the moulds are soft and not cracking....it works..great on tires, seats, dash....developed for the aviation industry...

15888796620601103253635.jpg