Traveling

Landrover

If it’s not bad enough with traveling due to c19 something just as bad (not really) Love bug season has started in Florida those nasty black bugs who’s only purpose is to have sex with each other and splat on your vehicle. Their splatted  bodies  like to eat away at your paint if not removed quickly. We made a quick trip from Ocala to Tampa 80 miles one way. I had to stop at a rest area. A good estimate at least 1square inch over the entire windshield was covered in bug splat. You can’t use wipers it spreads it all around.  So if your traveling into or around Florida for at least the next two weeks be prepared with paper towels and a lot of window cleaner. And yes it will turn the front of your Ollie black with bug splatter.  The beauty of living in the sunshine state.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Love bugs are something I do not miss. I had good luck with P21s wiper washer booster getting them off though - still use it in all my cars even though lovebugs aren't a problem where we are now.  Otherwise, I was going to get tear-offs to keep them coming.   Wonder what would protect the gelcoat well -- they turn acidic and actually etch paint if left on.

• Thanks 2

Between Olivers…

Love bugs, hah, in Washington we now have these delightful killers.....

B5896296-EBD0-4E3D-89B2-885BB3245648.thumb.jpeg.f454ab965e1546f7956c158ba99f73e2.jpeg

Beekeepers have reported piles of dead bees with their heads ripped off, an alarming sight in a country with a rapidly declining bee population.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/us/washington-giant-murder-hornets/index.html

This is not a joke......😳 I’m not sure what the best campground defense would be.... a .410 shotgun?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I've read that the killer hornets can sting through a bee keepers suit. And can kill a honeybee every 14 seconds. Just what we need, with declining pollinating bee populations everywhere. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Love bugs, hah, in Washington we now have these delightful killers.....

B5896296-EBD0-4E3D-89B2-885BB3245648.thumb.jpeg.f454ab965e1546f7956c158ba99f73e2.jpeg

Beekeepers have reported piles of dead bees with their heads ripped off, an alarming sight in a country with a rapidly declining bee population.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/us/washington-giant-murder-hornets/index.html

This is not a joke......😳 I’m not sure what the best campground defense would be.... a .410 shotgun?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Holly crap hitting one of those would be like hitting a dear 😳

• Sad 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Landrover, 

We dealt with love bugs and no see’ums when we lived in Kingsland, Georgia. We used a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to help remove love bugs off the paint as soon as possible. They sure can make a mess. We called the no see’ums flying set of teeth with wings..brutal.

-Patriot

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 5/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, Landrover said:

If it’s not bad enough with traveling due to c19 something just as bad (not really) Love bug season has started in Florida those nasty black bugs who’s only purpose is to have sex with each other and splat on your vehicle. Their splatted  bodies  like to eat away at your paint if not removed quickly. We made a quick trip from Ocala to Tampa 80 miles one way. I had to stop at a rest area. A good estimate at least 1square inch over the entire windshield was covered in bug splat. You can’t use wipers it spreads it all around.  So if your traveling into or around Florida for at least the next two weeks be prepared with paper towels and a lot of window cleaner. And yes it will turn the front of your Ollie black with bug splatter.  The beauty of living in the sunshine state.

I used hydrogen peroxide in a spay bottle...it breaks down the blood proteins and you can wipe the bugs off in 5 minutes or so.....better than anything I've found.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1