Gray Tank Questions

There are a few questions that I came up with today while sanitizing the gray and fresh water tanks. First, after about 20 or so minutes of running both sinks (Trying to fill up the gray tank), The shower and sink start to fill up regardless of is the shower trap is open or closed. Does this mean that it is full? If so, the gray tank monitor says that is is only 69% filled. Next, after draining the tank with the slinky looking holder with no high points and with the camper completely level, the level reads 38%. Is this a level sensor problem? If so, can it be replaced and where is it? Theres nothing in the black tank, so it reads 0% and the fresh water drained to about 9% and filled up to 100% on the monitor so I don't thing it's the monitor itself. Thanks, Nan.

• Moderators

Both the gray and fresh water tanks are very flat so they fit under the floor.  If you are level you probably won’t get a full empty on the gray.  I always ensure the trailer is high in the front when draining the gray (and by default the black).  The black tank is more square shaped but having the front higher helps with it too.  Try raising the front of your trailer and then empty.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks Mike.  I will try draining it on a slope the next time I go over there. What about trying to fill it up and the water comes up in the bathroom floor and the sink in the kitchen and the monitor says it is only 69% filled?

• Moderators

If you are only using the bubble level on the front jack that may be part of the problem.  It needs periodic adjustment.  If you have a level, any size really, that you can set on the floor inside, or up against the seam around the middle of the trailer on the outside you will get a pretty good idea of how level you are.  Then check the bubble on the front jack.  If it is off, as mine frequently is, just take a Phillips screwdriver and turn the screws around the bubble until you get it centered.  I have a small 8” level I keep in the trailer to check after set up to see if I’m really level.  Mike

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Whenever I sanitize my tanks, I tilt the trailer up and to the street side when I fill, so that I can limit any air that gets trapped to the front curbside corner, closest to the overflow.  Then after a while I'll tilt the trailer down and to the curb side to make sure that the sanitizing solution gets into that same corner.   I do the same after running that water into the grey tank.  I've also found the the grey tank needs to be 'burped' when it's almost full, by tilting the trailer back and forth.  There's a corner in there somewhere that doesn't vent properly and it will trap air, essentially reducing the volume of the tank.

Also, like Mike says, 'level' is relative.  Most people level to their floor or countertops.  I always level so that the bathroom door doesn't swing either way on it's own.  I don't think that in either of those cases are my grey or fresh tanks truly level.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

Another thing that can throw off the monitor is residue inside the tanks.  As for draining, even when parked, we generally like to be a degree or two towards street side and the aft as well.  When perfectly level, we've been full at 100%, but then when I tilt the trailer a little it "burps", and takes a few showers more of gray water.   The slight tilt promotes gray tank drain as well as the shower pan clearing of water to prevent excess humidity.  Filling up the tanks and driving around can help clean and sanitize everything as well.  I've heard of doing so with ice in the black will help -- not sure how to easily get ice into the gray tank though.  It's also been mentioned here before but worth repeating, even on full hookups, the gray should be allowed to get fairly full before dumping, this prevents buildup of sediment in the tank as the whoosh of having a full tank and the siphoning action helps clear the tank.

• Like 2

Between Olivers…

Thanks.  The Oliver was only used for about 1200 miles before I bought it late last year.  I have not been able to take it out due to knee and hip surgery.  I am hoping that will change this coming Saturday.  I only have a grey and fresh water tank to contend with as I have a composting toilet.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Nan said:

Thanks.  The Oliver was only used for about 1200 miles before I bought it late last year.  I have not been able to take it out due to knee and hip surgery.  I am hoping that will change this coming Saturday.  I only have a grey and fresh water tank to contend with as I have a composting toilet.  

I hope you'll finally get to enjoy your camper, Nan. You've waited a long time.

Sherry

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I hope so, too!

Happy camping,  Nan.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Nan - 

I think that virtually all of us can't wait to get back to camping. 

However, now is the perfect time for you to really continue that rehab.  The rehab is almost as important as the operation(s).

There are some really beautiful spots in Virginia and I don't just say that because I was born there.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

20 hours ago, Nan said:

Had a little set back so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to go camping to Virginia!!!! 

Nan:  what part of Virginia are you planning on for a camping trip?

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Horace and Dianne,  we are planning on picking up a 1995 BMW motor (for grandson) in Upper Marboro, Maryland...so guess it is not Maryland after all.  LOL. Since I live outside of Savannah, Ga., this will be a long trip.