Oliver bike rack dimensions

djpinaz

The used Oliver I purchased last fall was modified by the previous owner to accommodate a truck toolbox attached to the bumper. I’m unlikely to use it this way (for a several reasons), but wondering if the mounting brackets installed would fit the Oliver bike rack. I’ve attached photos. Feel free to chime if you have an opinion on using this. FYI, it was designed as 2” receiver hitches which are 45” apart on-center.

Darren

369ABFEE-5FF6-47DA-968A-7040FA213463.jpeg

629CAB52-648B-4F81-A739-532414DA8A44.jpeg

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

Your custom box looks very stout, but the receivers are positioned well inboard of where the Ollie rack attaches directly over the big frame rails. That center to center distance is about 51.5”. 

D5C602CD-B867-49B1-B4EF-9E06957B3726.jpeg.cf1dd84eaf4eaece729a546563d6598c.jpeg

Here is an Oliver factory receiver (bike) mount. There have been several variations, I am not sure which generation this one is:

75A60AEF-433E-447D-949F-A7A726BCACDE.jpeg.1fa9e3d893a79a177d1c45e966c175d3.jpeg

A fabrication shop that is skilled in welding aluminum can easily make you a flat platform that will plug into those strong receivers. Or... can you simply unbolt the box from its supports, or is it all welded together? Post a few more pics.

Then you could bolt down a pair of high quality bike rack trays of your choice onto that platform. The reason I say high quality is that that part of the trailer is a rather violent location to carry bikes and they need a very strong mounting system and also anchor points so you can add stabilizing straps to control the sway. Something from 1Up-USA would be perfect.

This thread might give you some ideas.... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/3263-how-to-move-the-factory-cargo-tray-to-a-rear-rack/

Have you weighed the cargo box that goes there? I am curious. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with more than about 150 to 200 pounds (total, including racks) bouncing around in that spot.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John. The box is bolted to the supports so using them would be a good option. I’ll see what I can find that would work.
I didn’t weigh it but based on a sticker inside it’s a box from Tractor Supply and a similar box that came up in a search of the model number it weighs 40#. I would guess that seems right based on my moving it.

It’s actually a handy size and when I’m not camping I store a majority of the items we put in the bed of the truck in it. For example I store 3 camping chairs, a portable grill, gas fire pit, a box of kindling and newspaper, propane hoses, etc. The previous owner also did a good job of integrating brake/turn lights along the rear of the box which connect with a 4-pin connector between the box and trailer as well as between the trailer and TV.

My concern with using it was the forces you mentioned as well as the affect on tongue weight. I think we’re at the low end, if not under, what the tongue weight should be as a percentage (10% if not less). Although I haven’t traveled with both 30# propane tanks full so that could help offset.  However, then we’re pushing up the overall weight.  Until/unless we get a more stout towing vehicle I look to keep the weights down. 

A couple additional pics attached. 

6D7150F3-6ABC-44ED-9026-6B17AAE26BEE.jpeg

046211B7-D150-4695-ABEB-EB642BF40E0A.jpeg

Edited by Overland
fixed photos and merged posts
  • Thanks 1

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

I agree that looks like a pretty heavy box, but then others tow with a good bit of weight on the back, including JED, and I'm curious if over time we'll get a better picture of how much that affects the dynamics of an Ollie.  I wonder if you've towed with and without the box and if you notice much difference.  

I've towed with a rack on the back that was maybe only 50-75 lbs total, and subjectively I felt like it towed a bit better, possibly due to reduced tongue weight.  Since I don't use a WD hitch, it makes sense that I might see an improvement there vs the negative effects of adding more yaw inertia to the trailer.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2

I don’t believe that the 10% minimum TW applies to the LEII. (I would not go too light on the single axle trailer.) I reduced the TW from 720 lbs to about 480 and the trailer tows wonderfully, with only a small amount of chain tension needed on the Andersen to control pitching on choppy pavement. There are no signs at all of lateral instability. The added payload and reduced stress on the suspension of the truck are a welcome plus. Trailer towing weight is approximately 6000 pounds (not scale weighed).

The 10% figure is an accepted RV industry standard for a “worst case” scenario. It allows for poor engineering (including battery and tank location), a flexy frame, worn out suspension, no shock absorbers and really horrible aerodynamics. An Ollie LEII with its double axles and a tight suspension won’t cause problems. There are lots of LEIIs with no front tray and a loaded rear rack, and I have never seen a single report of stability problems. If I am wrong about this, I would love to hear some comments.

Your hitch selection plays a factor, a simple dead weight ball doesn’t have any sway control, so it would be prudent to have a little more TW.

BUT, as always, the responsibility lies entirely in the driver of the tow vehicle, do what makes you feel comfortable, and always be aware of how the trailer behaves. A TW scale is quite helpful, it shows exactly what happens when you shift weight around.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

DJPANIZ:

Thanks for the pics - The setup is similar to what I plan to do , except I will have a front load box, and mount a single bike rack on top. Based on what I've already put back there, the planned weight works fine. I plan to limit it to <150lbs. Will relocate the lic plate/light.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201