Redline CV-2 Grease for suspension?

Has anyone tried this grease in the Ollie zerk fittings? I have been using it in the cans for a number of years in wheel bearings and CV joints, and it is now becoming my do-everything lubricant. The biggest feature is that the oil does NOT separate from the wax carrier, at all. I have cans that are four years old and when you pop the lid, it looks perfect, there is no puddle of thin oil on top. It has terrific lube properties and is waterproof.

I have been using regular lithium chassis grease on the Ollie, but the oil dribbles out, spreads over the surrounding areas and onto the rubber Ez Flex pads, and it attracts dirt like crazy. It just looks butt ugly, and it is a pain to clean it off. I think the Redline lubricant would stay where it belongs. Cost is high, typically around $14 for a tube, but it would save a lot of cleanup time and it might leave the suspension looking more pleasant.

EA66733E-72CC-4005-A7A9-8E2C21DAEB31.thumb.jpeg.f282218b5d833f5b350b73bf6aa84831.jpeg

Any comments before I use three cans of brake cleaner and a bundle of rags cleaning off the old mess?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Not Redline, but I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic and haven't noticed any leaking, at least not any more than the grease that Oliver originally used.  It definitely leaks out of the grease gun though if I hang it the wrong way around.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

Here is the cheap stuff after 6000 miles. I don’t mind the mess on the springs but this is very unsightly.

6EC491ED-378E-4FE0-A581-BF208CD6A2A9.thumb.jpeg.337de62f795bd59de316ed7d778c406d.jpeg

After a light cleaning today, while  rotating tires and checking stuff:

4510FFDF-0F9A-4112-A2DE-C939A1FC3340.thumb.jpeg.a1862d51867a5a311c4b9faab31c449e.jpeg

Maybe any good synthetic would be better than this lithium grease.... if anybody is using a lube that doesn”t do this, please comment.

John Davies

Spokane

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Here's mine.  Similar number of miles and I haven't cleaned anything since last spring.  The zirk caps may help, or it could be the grease, but also I pressure wash everything after each trip, which I think more likely could be the difference.  I usually take the wheels off and wash the suspension and brakes as well as I can.  

IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.a7a81ec6377bb1997adba709163e4bdb.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pic, overland. I do not pressure wash mine, so I don’t think this is a fair comparison. The only cleaning the parts get is a rinse as I blow out the wheel wells and blast the tires and wheels..... I do try to detail clean the suspension parts when they get too gross, but I do it by hand with brake solvent, then follow up with new grease.

John Davies

Spokane WA