Small Battery Maintenance

This topic is intended for determining maintenance/replacement info for all small batteries in the Oliver Elite II.  

I do not have access to my trailer (In OK) as I live most of the year in HI.  As such, I can't go look.  I have also looked on the OTT site and not found such a list, or for that matter much info about this topic as well.  Hence this RFI.   As such, with your assistance, I would like to compile a list of small batteries that need service, what size they are, and get a consensus of their service life.   In this regard, where it is possible to do so, I remove all small batteries from their devices when the trailer will not be used for months on end.  This is why I am suggesting a 24 month service life for those listed.

The following are some that I am aware of:

• TV Remote                 2 each AAA?     Change Every 24 months  
  • Furion Remote          2 each AAA?     Change Every 24 months  
  • Smoke Detector        1 each 9V          Change Every 24 months
  • Propane Detector     ?????????
  • Dexter Brakes            Do we have a separate battery in addition to being tied to the 12V Buss?
  • Any Others?

Thank you for your inputs!

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

For us:

(2019)

TV+Stereo Remote 2x AA

MaxAir Fan Remote 2x AAA

Dometic power awning remote : CR2450

Dometic power awning wind sensor AA - recommend lithium

Smoke Detector: 2x AA

Our propane/co runs off the 12v system of the trailer

• Like 1

Between Olivers…

On 5/11/2020 at 7:00 AM, WhatDa said:

For us:

(2019)

TV+Stereo Remote 2x AA

MaxAir Fan Remote 2x AAA

Dometic power awning remote : CR2450

Dometic power awning wind sensor AA - recommend lithium

Smoke Detector: 2x AA

Our propane/co runs off the 12v system of the trailer

Thank you WhatDa!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

Fwiw, We tend to remove all batteries at the end of the season. Helps to avoid the leakers, and corrosion. 

We reuse the aaa and aa  in secondary flashlights, next season.  I don't trust most batteries for more than a year.

At my mom's,  I replace all her batteries (emergency flashlights,  remotes, smoke alarms) on mother's day. Pick  a date. Once a year, is my motto.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I agree with SeaDawg on this - for the cost of a battery it certainly is not worth anyone's life in those smoke detectors.  Also, having a battery leak could cause the destruction of whatever device it was in - again not worth taking the chance.

Yes, I know that today's batteries (at least good ones) tend to last much longer than they used to.  However, it is simply not worth the risk of life or leakage or trying to remember when was the last time I changed those darn things.  Therefore, I (like SeaDawg) remove all batteries at the end of each camping season and then replace them with new batteries at the beginning of the season.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The Alarm that comes with the Oliver is a combination Smoke and CO detector.  If you switch it out to a Smoke only you give up that detector's ability to detect CO.  There is a CO detection capability on the LP detector though.  Two downsides I see for CO detection with the LP detector are: 1.) the location is optimized for propane detection (heavier than air) and 2.) the power is from the 12 volt of the trailer without battery backup.  I think it is best to keep both CO detection capabilities.  If you switch to a Smoke detector only, you should add another CO detector that has a separate battery from the trailer and is in a better location than the LP/CO detector.

Another thought to keep in mind.  The Smoke detector sensor for the Smoke and CO detector is for Smoke (smoldering type fires).  That detector is a photo optic detector that determines when large smoke particles block the light passing through the sensor.  Another type of Fire sensor is the Ionization detector which detects particles from fast burning fires much quicker than a the sensor of a smoke detector will.  I think it is best to use both types in your trailer and your house.

For those with older units, the maximum life of a detector is 10years.  In some cases it is less.  I've seen CO detectors with shorter lives as recommended by the manufacturer.  With the environment our units live in it would probably be better to change out more often.

- Randy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4