High quality welded aluminum cargo tray $300

For those with the factory Oliver bike rack, with the two 2” receivers bolted to the frame, this might be a great option for carrying about 100 pounds of camping stuff, or even a couple of bikes or ebikes, using full length bike trays or with fork (skewer) mounts. You could not fabricate your own tray for anything close to this price if you had to pay a shop to weld it up. Aluminum is expensive. I don’t know the alloy type, but they manufacture trailers so it must be decent. They buy in very large quantities so their materials cost is reduced.

7F82EBAD-DD34-402A-8AF1-6F92E9C135C9.jpeg.fdd478760014011233908ec194d4e3ab.jpeg
https://vankams.com/products/northbound-aluminum-cargo-carrier-hauler-24-x-49-heavy-duty

Amazon has it for $8 more, for some reason. There are lots of positive reviews, some buyers complain about sloppy welds, but that is nit picking IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/Northbound-Aluminum-carrier-hauler-X-Large/dp/B00CJH9QFC

You could possibly use a hitch adapter to make it fit the Oliver 1.5” center receiver, but it would be super easy and inexpensive to replace the bolt-on center bar of this rack with one at each end, to plug in to the Oliver frame receivers. It would be plenty strong and would not have that wobble of a center mount one. For a more or less permanently attached application it would be better with reflective DOT stripes and/or some LED running lights.

Receiver hole center to tray front is 5.75”. Rail height (inside) is 5 inches. Tray height is 6.5”, not including the 2”x2” mount bar. Weight is 35 pounds. (These numbers are from user questions at Amazon.) 

I am considering buying one in the 2x’4’ size to use occasionally with my Land Cruiser when not towing. The truck has a split tailgate, the small lower gate would be partially blocked but the upper one would work, no worries.... also, this is plenty strong to climb and stand on to access the cargo area or stuff on the roof. I can always add a hitch extender.

Has anyone seen or used one of these USA MADE carriers? It is a decent price for a truly well made carrier, that you won’t worry about it falling apart like the $100 bolt together junk ones. Any comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have a cheapy Chinese one that we used when tent camping before we got our Ollie.  It wasn't the highest quality thing I've ever owned, but honestly, it did it's job and seems none the worse for wear after three or four years of use.  Apart from the aluminum tube, I can't say that it looks much different to the one pictured above.

I think that if I were going to spend real money on a hitch carrier, I'd probably go for the one that 1up sells.  I've never seen it in person, but if it's anything like the quality of their bike racks, then it's probably worth the $500 bucks they want for it.  Plus you can fold it up out of the way when not in use and can attach one of their bike racks to it.  And for just $20 more you can get a 60" version, which seems like the better deal.  

48in-cargo-carrier-black-5.thumb.jpg.ab5ae60b740e39ebfc858a0f8dc716e5.jpg

48in-cargo-carrier-black-4.thumb.jpg.ad8338c8d5dde139e844dce442019d2c.jpg

2-Vehicle-positions-cargo-carrier-black.gif.6c44c2a82d6be755aa0ec4281ac56ba9.gif

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

On 5/11/2020 at 5:20 AM, John E Davies said:

Has anyone seen or used one of these USA MADE carriers? It is a decent price for a truly well made carrier, that you won’t worry about it falling apart like the $100 bolt together junk ones. Any comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

@ J.D.   Yes.  I had one for about 15 years and used it a lot. It was the type with a center stinger.  Never had a problem with it.  Usually hauled about 80 to 90 pounds.  Should I need one for my LEII, I would get the type with stingers on both sides.  As you stated in another post, there are significant dynamic loads back there!

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, John E Davies said:

For those with the factory Oliver bike rack, with the two 2” receivers bolted to the frame, this might be a great option for carrying about 100 pounds of camping stuff, or even a couple of bikes or ebikes, using full length bike trays or with fork (skewer) mounts. You could not fabricate your own tray for anything close to this price if you had to pay a shop to weld it up. Aluminum is expensive. I don’t know the alloy type, but they manufacture trailers so it must be decent. They buy in very large quantities so their materials cost is reduced.

7F82EBAD-DD34-402A-8AF1-6F92E9C135C9.jpeg.fdd478760014011233908ec194d4e3ab.jpeg
https://vankams.com/products/northbound-aluminum-cargo-carrier-hauler-24-x-49-heavy-duty

Amazon has it for $8 more, for some reason. There are lots of positive reviews, some buyers complain about sloppy welds, but that is nit picking IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/Northbound-Aluminum-carrier-hauler-X-Large/dp/B00CJH9QFC

You could possibly use a hitch adapter to make it fit the Oliver 1.5” center receiver, but it would be super easy and inexpensive to replace the bolt-on center bar of this rack with one at each end, to plug in to the Oliver frame receivers. It would be plenty strong and would not have that wobble of a center mount one. For a more or less permanently attached application it would be better with reflective DOT stripes and/or some LED running lights.

Receiver hole center to tray front is 5.75”. Rail height (inside) is 5 inches. Tray height is 6.5”, not including the 2”x2” mount bar. Weight is 35 pounds. (These numbers are from user questions at Amazon.) 

I am considering buying one in the 2x’4’ size to use occasionally with my Land Cruiser when not towing. The truck has a split tailgate, the small lower gate would be partially blocked but the upper one would work, no worries.... also, this is plenty strong to climb and stand on to access the cargo area or stuff on the roof. I can always add a hitch extender.

John Davies

Spokane WA

How much does the tray weigh?  The Oliver receiver has a weight limit of 100#.  Our tray rack weighs 50# and with two bikes 120# - over the recommended limit for the Oliver receiver.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg