Kathy

frosted upper cabinet doors

When we purchased our Oliver there were two choices for the upper cabinet doors - black and frosted glass.  We knew we didn't want black so we selected the frosted ones with some concern about items being stored showing through them.  This turned out to be the case and detracted from the clean, uncluttered look of the trailer.  We have debated what to do and the only conclusion we've come up with is to purchase some white containers for storage and to add some opaque film to the door fronts.  Any other ideas?

You could try painting the back side of the door white it will still have the frosted look from the front.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think that’s a good idea. I painted the back of our attic cabinet door black, since I had added some electronics in there and the lights from that were too bright. From the front it has a matte black look, almost like a chalkboard. I didn't like it at first but it quickly grew on me. I’ve thought about trying white or silver paint just to see. I could see doing them in a color to match the interior color scheme or even doing each one a different color if that’s your thing. If you’re creative, there are all kinds of possibilities.  

I’d recommend covering the paint with some shelf liner or vinyl to keep it from getting scratched from behind. I know you don’t want black but here’s a shot of what it looks like so that you can see the matte finish - 

FC3D015B-A307-4F56-AC55-9B7157684B82.thumb.jpeg.ae1977174cc46402f0f741fab70b447d.jpeg

By the way, I actually did it twice, for reasons I can’t remember, but I was able to take the paint off and redo it with acetone without damaging the plastic. So keep that in mind if you want to experiment. 

Here’s a thread with a bit more info about it - 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

White or silver vinyl or contact paper on the backs is one thing we looked at doing.  The Oliver I toured had all mirror finish, which I liked - but it wasn't available.  We want to keep it bright but keep the cleaner aesthetic.

• Like 1

2019 LE2 #529.   

2018 Navigator L   2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax

I tried just doing the black vinyl but it didn't look great from the front.  The back was smooth, but the front still looked like millions of bubbles trapped under the vinyl.

• Like 2

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

1 hour ago, WhatDa said:

White or silver vinyl or contact paper on the backs is one thing we looked at doing.  The Oliver I toured had all mirror finish, which I liked - but it wasn't available.  We want to keep it bright but keep the cleaner aesthetic.

We have all mirrors and like it. I’m surprised they don’t offer it anymore. 

• Like 2

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

We have the frosted ones and the light shows thru as we wanted it to to give that night light when watching TV, etc. I personally like the mirror finish, but they discounted it on the side cabinets, but available on the rear cabinet only. I would say for those who don't want to see there stuff in the cabinets, just don't turn the light on. 

trainman

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

15 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We have all mirrors and like it. I’m surprised they don’t offer it anymore. 

I like the all mirrored cabinets, they make your trailer look much bigger inside and the feeling of more room. On nice days with the windows open it brings the outside inside, for that natural look and feeling. 

trainman

• Like 3

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.