flat tire safety

hardrock

Safety and stability when you have a flat tire.

I have an Oliver Elite single axle, hull #73. I have traveled near and far in it with no issues, until this year when returning from Quartzsite, AZ.  I have often wondered what it would be like if I had a flat tire when I was driving?  Yes, I have a TPMS, frequently check air pressure, etc.  I hate driving in heavy traffic, especially in a large city pulling a trailer.  To go to Quartzsite from home (Alabama) the better route is through Dallas/Fort Worth.  I have learned that the best time to go through a large city is early on Sunday morning.  Everyone is asleep, getting ready for church or going a short distance to work.  I spent the night in Weatherford, Texas, looking down the hill at Fort Worth.  I left early watching the sun rise in the East.  I traveled I-20 through Fort Worth without incident.  As I entered Dallas, there was lots of road construction. Soon the lanes were constricted, winding and heavy concrete barriers on both sides with nowhere to get off. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang and a car came around me waving pointing down at my trailer.  In my rearview mirror I could see my trailer was listing heavily to the right.  My TPMS was beeping. I knew I had a flat tire but nowhere to stop, concrete barriers / construction on both sides.   It was 2 miles to the next exit.  At the first exit I pulled into a shopping center.  My tire was shredded and the rim was severely damaged, but MY OLIVER HANDLED BEAUTIFULLY! My fear was that a single axle trailer would be unstable at interstate speeds- Not!

I was able to change to my spare but later looking in the rearview, the spare is a smaller tire and the trailer was listing to the right.  I had a long day to drive and was uncomfortable not having a spare.  I stopped at Firestone with the intent of getting a regular sized tire and wheel.  No luck, Firestone did not sell wheels, Sunday and nothing open that sold wheels,  but

MY OLIVER HANDLED BEAUTIFULLY! My fear was that a single axle trailer would be unstable at interstate speeds- Not!

I was able to change to my spare but later looking in the rearview, the spare is a smaller tire and the trailer was listing to the right.  I had a long day to drive and was uncomfortable not having a spare.  I stopped at Firestone with the intent of getting a regular sized tire and wheel.  No luck, Firestone did not sell wheels but Firestone was able to put a regular tire on my spare wheel. Firestone told me that they found a piece of rebar in the hub. 

LESSONS LEARNED:

Be careful in heavy construction

It is difficult/impossible to find a spare tire/wheel on Sunday.  I now carry the small spare in the trailer cover and a regular sized spare in my truck.  No spare when your spare is on the ground. 

Best Lesson- Olivers handle well when you are running on the rim and nowhere to get off the interstate- Travel Safe !!

Coy Gayle 

Edited by hardrock
double posting
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Coy - 

That's a heck of a story - glad to hear that all turned out well and neither you nor the Ollie suffered any long term damage.

What was the condition of that rim?  Obviously it wasn't damaged enough to prevent a new tire from being mounted, but, what about potential cracks, deformation and/or other unseen weakness?  Did you replace it when you got home?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We have those concrete barriers on I-10 where we live near San Antonio. I guess they’re necessary so construction can happen but they are dangerous and cause accidents. Coy, I’m glad your tire issue ended well, it’s always in the back of my mind when going through those chutes that a mechanical issue of any kind could be disastrous!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Coy - on the Elite Its, Oliver used to include those smaller spares because the cover for the tire carrier wouldn't fit over the correct one.  I believe around 2017 they made a new cover and now they supply the correct sized tire.  I don't know if the same is true for the single axles, but you might give them a call to see if one of the new covers & wheels will fit.

Really glad that you came through ok.

Edited by Overland

Sorry for being unclear Bill.  Both the tire and wheel were completely destroyed.  On Sunday, I had Firestone remove the spare that I had just put  on the ground.  I had them put a full sized tire on the spare rim/wheel. I made it to Louisiana that night with no spare and the next morning, I went to Tire Discount, bought a spare wheel and  mounted my old but useable  spare tire.  The mounting bracket at the rear is unique and the new (Discount Tire Store brand) will not fit.  I will buy 2 new wheels and 1 new tire. One because I purchased a very good Firestone tire when all of this occurred.  Overland- Going to meet with Oliver this month so I will inquire.  Thanks for the advice

Bottom line, I now feel that even when you experience a major tire catastrophic blowout as I did, and you are forced to proceed onward to the next exit on your bare metal rim, it can be safely done.  I have inspected my hull, no damage, only to my pride. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I have contacted Oliver regarding obtaining a different cover for my 2016 Elite spare tire cover.  It seems that Oliver changed the mold in the past  of the Elite TRAILER AND SPARE COVER to accommodate a larger spare tire.   There is no retro kit for updating earlier Oliver Elite Trailers. 
Now, Oliver recommends the Cooper Discoverer HT 3  LT 235/65/16 tire.  This Tire has a higher weight capacity than the tires that were original to my Elite.  These tires are now being placed on new Oliver Elite Trailers. 
regardless, Oliver Travel Trailers handle superbly under bad conditions, even when you tire and wheel are damaged.  I will be making room for an “EXTRA SPARE “ in my truck! 
coy 

Soooooo, can you not mount a larger spare tire in back, without the fiberglass cover?

As we all understand, a completely naked spare looks so much better. 😀

Discussion starts half way down here:
https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2016-how-to-spare-tire-and-wheel-lock/

John Davies

Spokane WA

067C876F-2ED5-420E-841F-9B9554DF2B66.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

My tires will be 5 years old in a few months and should be replaced.  I’ll probably get a full size spare and then just cover with some kind of fabric cover since the larger Oliver cover won’t fit my trailer.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Overland said:

Oliver should have some high quality branded tire covers made up.  It probably wouldn't cost that much and I'm sure more than a few owners would buy them.  

I would!