The obnoxious camper

Patriot

I often try and read back through posts of years past on this forum to learn from past experiences and to try and not to post up a question that has been asked. But I am guilty of doing so. That said, there is a wealth of knowledge here and always a pearl to be gained by just reading old posts. On the lighter side this morning I stumbled upon this link posted by DavidS a few years ago and I really got  few good laughs. Thank you DavidS.

When my wife and I camp our first goal as guests to any campground is to be decent and respectful of other campers in all that we do. It’s just the cloth we are cut from, perfect no. This link pretty much highlights everything we are not. I decided to post this as it certainly made me laugh as I read through it. Certainly it will generate a few interesting funny stories from camping trips past you may choose to share. A dose of humor never hurts. For me the dryer the humor the better.
Enjoy the read...maybe share a funny or not so funny obnoxious experience you have witnessed.

This article pretty much nails it.

http://travellogs.us/Technical Info/Obnoxious Camper.htm

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Funny article.  Funny because there is some truth there. We’ve mostly had good neighbors but have had bad ones too.  Other annoying things are folks that want to talk while you’re backing into your site or while you are going through your set up or breakdown routine or when you are dumping. Also, neighbors who build a smoky fire when the breeze brings the smoke into our site, then they leave to go do something.  Being a good camper has a lot to do with being considerate of others. Mike

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Oh, I think I've met those same late night arrivers.  Three of them in 5th wheels, with all the idling diesels, yelling, clanging, etc.  We all have to arrive late at times, but for those of us who worry about bothering other campers, you really appreciate how quickly it is to set up an Ollie.  

Another good rule to remember is that if you arrive at an almost empty campground, be sure to pick a spot right next to the only other person there.  They'll appreciate the company.  

Fortunately, we don't use campgrounds unless we have to, and as quiet as the Ollie is, campground noises don't bother us much anymore.  But in our tent camping days, we definitely had plenty of neighbors learning to play bongos at midnight, etc.  

I've found that most of the bad neighbors just don't realize that they're annoying everyone else, and have had good luck just politely asking people if they'd mind not chopping firewood at 2am.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Other annoying things are folks that want to talk while you’re backing into your site or while you are going through your set up or breakdown routine or when you are dumping. Also, neighbors who build a smoky fire when the breeze brings the smoke into our site, then they leave to go do something. 

So very true! I try to be polite, but at times I will just say come back in half an hour.... 

If somebody smokes me out and leaves their site with a fire burning, I will go dump a gallon of water on it. Morons....! Maybe a gallon of gas would be more appropriate, while they are next to it. 🤨

Squeaking, worn out trailer suspensions, popping and banging in the middle of the night drive me nuts. That is my worst complaint.  I love the relative silence of a well lubed Ollie. If you don’t extend the jacks and don’t unhitch, you can sneak out in the early morning without too much extra noise and mayhem.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My wife and I were camping  at a state park in SC.  The park allowed a couple to park a very beat up looking van in a site, several sites away from us, no big deal. The roof and the inside of the van was loaded with 2x4s and plastic tarps. For the next 2hrs of hammering and nailing of 2x4s then stapling tarps everywhere. It was just a matter of time. They just finished the shanty when the park ranger arrived and told them to leave. It took another hour for them to take everything apart. It wasn’t obnoxious, it’s was the funniest fireside entertainment we’ve seen at a campground.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

When we were growing up in the south, "PoP" was expensive so we mostly drank “Sun” ice tea.  My mom made it very diluted so us kiddos could drink all we wanted.  It kept us hydrated and was effectively a low caffeine low sugar beverage.  When camping, she would make it in advance and put it into cleaned out 1.75L bourbon bottles (without labels).  They were heavy glass so they kept the tea cold in the cooler and also poured really easy as they had a handle too!

During the summer of 1968 (I was 16 years old at the time), we were on the Tchefuncte River camping and water skiing.  The retired couple that was camped next to us seemed really nice. But as the day passed, they became quite agitated with us. We could not figure out why.  Each time the ski boat returned we would run over to the camp table and guzzle about a pint of weak tea in our Red Solo cups. When the bottle was empty, Mom would bring out another one from the "Ice Chest".  Each time, the retired couple would get even madder.

Then a State Trooper showed up at our camp site.  I had just finished water skiing and ran past the officer and poured and downed about a pint of our weak tea. The officer asked if he could have some, and I poured him a pint into a Red Solo cup.  He tasted it and then loudly said "Wow, this is really good".  The retired couple were at this point pointing at the officer and us and were now cursing about how shameful it was "In broad daylight".  The Officer ignored them and we talked for a few minutes about water skiing on the Tchefuncte river with its alligators and poisonous water moccasins. 

After several minutes, he went over to the couple and suggested that maybe they should just mind their own business as drinking weak tea was just fine. The look on the retired couple's faces was worth a million dollars. Those folks were packed and gone in about 60 seconds.

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators

That's really funny, Geronimo John.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

56 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

When we were growing up in the south, "PoP" was expensive so we mostly drank “Sun” ice tea.  My mom made it very diluted so us kiddos could drink all we wanted.  It kept us hydrated and was effectively a low caffeine low sugar beverage.  When camping, she would make it in advance and put it into cleaned out 1.75L bourbon bottles (without labels).  They were heavy glass so they kept the tea cold in the cooler and also poured really easy as they had a handle too!

During the summer of 1968 (I was 16 years old at the time), we were on the Tchefuncte River camping and water skiing.  The retired couple that was camped next to us seemed really nice. But as the day passed, they became quite agitated with us. We could not figure out why.  Each time the ski boat returned we would run over to the camp table and guzzle about a pint of weak tea in our Red Solo cups. When the bottle was empty, Mom would bring out another one from the "Ice Chest".  Each time, the retired couple would get even madder.

Then a State Trooper showed up at our camp site.  I had just finished water skiing and ran past the officer and poured and downed about a pint of our weak tea. The officer asked if he could have some, and I poured him a pint into a Red Solo cup.  He tasted it and then loudly said "Wow, this is really good".  The retired couple were at this point pointing at the officer and us and were now cursing about how shameful it was "In broad daylight".  The Officer ignored them and we talked for a few minutes about water skiing on the Tchefuncte river with its alligators and poisonous water moccasins. 

After several minutes, he went over to the couple and suggested that maybe they should just mind their own business as drinking weak tea was just fine. The look on the retired couple's faces was worth a million dollars. Those folks were packed and gone in about 60 seconds.

Some of the best sweet and un sweet tea is made in the south by far. 🥤

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Well ok, I have one - is a tent camping -pre Ollie. Back in the day -  when I did a lot of WW kayaking, my wife, myself, and a another couple, had arraigned to stay the night in a local outfitters "campgrounds" really just a bath house and area for customers needing a place to pitch a tent.  We weren't customers - just friends of the owner.  We had set up, and had finished dinner - enjoying some adult beverages and a little music - we were the only ones around. Well in rolls a group of college guys - fresh of the river - and obviously ready to party.  We turned down the music - and thusly a couple of the guys came over and assured us they would behave themselves and not bother us with a rowdy, noisy night.  Fine guys - thanks. 

Well the opposite happened - it was a drunken -  loud  - frat boy - filled night - we just endured and they all passed out eventually. We were up at the crack of dawn - and my buddy and I could see the  passed out bodies - in and around  - where  the boys had set up camp. So we figured payback was in order. The speakers came out - Led Zeppelin was blasting out at appropriate  levels - and  our wives - a little more pissed than us guys - walked through the place banging pans.... trying to be as  loud and obnoxious as they were the previous night.  A whiff of bacon and eggs seemed to really get to a few of them - seems their stomachs were not well.

As we rolled out of the place - several looked at us and just shook their head - pay back accomplished.  

Youth is wasted on the young.

RB

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201