Official Ollie Eclipse Rallies - Total Solar Eclipse 04/08/2024

Posted (edited)

LOL, I think this might be quite premature, but I wanted to start a thread for folks to think about. This will be the last TOTAL one in the USA until 2045. I do not expect to be around then, so this is my final shot. I saw the last one (August 2018) in central Idaho under crystal clear skies and it was a truly stunning, humbling experience.

21450D91-230E-4E6E-B0F6-65EA048F9466.thumb.jpeg.d7559445ca235b3a32d2bc674dc721e3.jpeg

2024 Total Solar Eclipse Info, map

I am particularly interested in locations in Texas and Arkansas, since weather conditions are more likely to be favorable in early April.

00A306BB-D887-4C59-BF81-60F3962A7C5B.thumb.jpeg.5afee293f0ad3e93d665a16019855936.jpeg

If you live near the Path of Totality (the red line) and own suitable land, I hope I can plant a seed of interest so that you will consider letting some Ollies rendezvous there for the event. 

BTW, this is not my idea, my wife thought it up. But I think it would be a brilliant way to have an Ollie Eclipse Rally. Or several of them, spread across the eastern part of the country.

Please discuss.....

John Davies

Spokane WA 

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Posted (edited)

I am definitely down, I was in Korea for the one in 2018 so I missed it even though our farm was smack in the center of the red line. I have never witnessed a solar eclipse so I'm looking forward to being there this time. 

Edited by The Shackelfords
  • Moderators

We are in the path, halfway between the southern green line and the red line. The red line goes right over Fredericksburg and Kerrville. We can fit one Ollie in the driveway, hardly a rally!  We are looking to buy some acreage around Fredericksburg and Kerrville in the next couple of years to build on, so maybe....

April can be very nice weather wise. Temperatures are mild but there are occasional storms.   Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:We are looking to buy some acreage around Fredericksburg and Kerrville in the next couple of years to build on, so maybe....

Well, there we have it. The Texas Rally Chapter is forming. Put me down for a spot. FYI you could possibly pay off your land purchase by renting out spots to the general public. You would have no problem getting $200 per night for a three or four day RV stay, no facilities except for a permit, some porta potties and a WHOLE lot of liability “event insurance”. You can bet that some local owners are already  aware of this, so buy your land sooner than later if it is inside, or even a thirty minute walk from, those lines. Land prices will go up!

I would personally be willing to pay, but I would hope for a discounted Ollie Section. I do enjoy telling other people how to spend their money, LOL. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Posted (edited)

You drove your Ollie trailer to Arkansas

To see the total eclipse of the sun

Ollie owners are where they should be all the time

And when you're not it's cause of the corona virus and

Stay at home orders.

Oh, you're not vain

You probably just own an Ollie

You're not vain, 

You know this song is about you...don't you, don't you!

Ok.  I'm bored.  Forgive my plagiarism.  But I do think this would be a wonderful eclipse rally!!!

Edited by HMD1056
skipped a word!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Great info  - seems I have a date in 2024 - probably some where near Mena Arkansas - my old stomping grounds.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"

ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201524964bac5483378b34b491562080842sm.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a plan!  Great suggestion John! (Or wife of John). We’d certainly be willing to pay a fee as neither of us has had the opportunity to see an eclipse.

Kevin and Kathi

TV: 2018 GMC 2500 HD Sierra Duramax 4 x 4 

“Do Your Own Ride”

ALAZCACOILINKYLAMSNVNMTNTXUTmed.jpg

Have fun!!!  Here's a bit of advice from an Oregonian:

1. Get your reservations in now or scout out a good boondocking site.  Oregon campgrounds, RV parks, and motels in the path of totality were booked years in advance and sold out in the months just prior to the 2017 eclipse.  Campsites were trading on Ebay for $$$$$$$ and people were renting out prime sites on their property.  We could have driven to our son's house in Corvallis, which was in the path of totality, but weren't willing to endure the I-5 traffic jam which started several days prior to the event. 

2. Be sure to schedule extra travel time; the traffic was unbelievable.  Google 2017 eclipse Oregon to get an idea of what to expect.  Viewers came from all over the country.  Near the prime viewing locales, traffic was stalled for hours.  Plan to arrive several days before the event.  Even worse is the after-eclipse exodus.  Viewers travel and arrive over  days, but the window of departure is much shorter.    Eclipse traffic

3. If you want a little less chaos, view from near the path of totality.  We weren't in the path,  but even within 200 miles it was impressive.  We watched totality on our computer as we donned our glasses to see near totality from the comfort of our front yard, away from the chaos. 

4. Be mindful of the weather at the time of the eclipse.  I don't mean to be pessimistic, but a cloudy day or severe weather could ruin even the best made plans.  April weather can be unpredictable. 

5. If you have a plane, leave your Ollie home and fly in.  Don't have a plane?  Maybe there's an Ollie wing and jet engine mod.  😎

Solar-Eclipse-2017-Madras-Oregon-airport-private-planes.thumb.jpg.3663b982601aee150b7a5f83771c2240.jpg

Madras, Oregon airport   

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin on order

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

I think I will just go outside and set down by the lake and watch it from there, we should get a pretty good view from there. 

trainman

Lone Star Travelers Art Work #3.JPG

• Like 1

Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #489, 2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We missed the last total solar eclipse visible from the Pacific Northwest. So happy this one can be viewed from the east coast. Remembering the 2017 TV clips of traffic congestion, I think we will make the shorter trip and view it on the east coast from New York or Maine. Weather that time of year is always a gamble. We have missed several partial eclipse due to clouds but you get what you get. Plus, if it is cold we might lose the large crowds. Always fun watching the stars. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Audrey & Vincent