Overnighting at Crackerbarrel

mountainborn

• Moderators

Anxiously we had checked the news and weather on television and on the internet, for another ice storm was coming out of the North West. It seemed like they had been on a cycle of every other day as they blasted down from the Arctic.

Upgrades were nearing completion and departure was iminent. The forcast was dismal. Ice ! Ice everywhere and inches deep in places. In the wake of this Winter storm there were massive pileups on the interstate highways and power outages of epic porportions. We were nervous.

We had decided that we would make a run to the South ahead of the storm, cross the Mississippi River at Greenville, then go West missing most of the weather, enroute to Arkansas. One last look at the radar and we decided. We made a couple of calls to let friends know that we had changed plans at the last minute.

Yup, we were flying by the seat of our pants. We had decided to head straight into the storm, hoping to get behind the front where it would be dryer and we hoped, less ice. As it turns out, we were right, and we were wrong.

By nine that evening we were nearing Memphis Tn.. We wanted to be where we could go in several directions when we woke up in the morning. We exited I-40 into a Crackerbarrel. We know they are somewhat receptive to RVer's though their parking areas are small and tight. Not a problem for a Jeep and our Ollie. Then there was that other thing, they always have a stack of firewood outback and a roaring fire in the fireplace. It was a no brainer for us. We topped off the fuel tanks of the Jeep and the generator just to be ready for what ever the next day might bring.

Wind driven sleet was peppering the Ollie as we went to sleep.

Snow ! Not ice, covered everything in the morning. I shot a little video as we went inside the Crackerbarrel for breakfast. Monitoring precipitation, accidents and radar on the pocket pc during Breakfast, we decided to drag our feet for a bit while accidents were cleared. we also knew that another front was bringing overnight lows of 17* forecast for later that night. We needed to move on West, then South towards home, before that next front arrived.

Since the weather was such an issue during this trip, cold weather, really cold weather, we were especially proud of the new double pane windows that the factory had just installed !

Maybe I will be able to post that Crackerbarrel in the snow video here shortly.

Ok, gotter' uploaded, here's the link:

th_100_0060.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)