Furrion radio question

How do you pull the radio out from the wall to check the speaker cables? I suspect one speaker cable is loose. I am afraid to pry the radio cover off for fear of breaking the plastic. Any assistance will be appreciated. I see a little indentation on each side of the radio. I am guessing the cover pops off?

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

Have you tired removing the porthole cover in the cabinet next to the radio?  That should give you enough access to check all of the connections without removing the radio.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, bhncb said:

You should be able to pop the plastic bezel off without much effort using your finger. Just pull on the indentation, one side or the other.  

The plastic trim comes off fairly easily. Then just take out the screws and slide it out. 

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have had our radio out. The cover does 'pop' off relatively easy. Then 4 screws removed. Slides out easily. A lot easier to see what is going on in there as there is a maze of wires. My antenna was not plugged in all the way and was hard to see to insert correctly just through the port.

Why do you feel speakers are not connected? Is it no sound from the TV? Or no sound from anything?

A wire tracing tool can be invaluable for isolating problems like this. This exact one is available with different branding from other sources like HD and Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-ET64220-Installers-Must-Have/dp/B00279JLBQ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

Clip the positive and negative leads to the speaker connections in the plug from the back of the radio and the speaker should reproduce the tone generated by the transmitter. With careful adjustment of the receiver, you should be able to isolate a faulty connection point. But, since there are only two crimp terminal points (quick connects at the speaker and butts in the harness behind the radio), just give them a yank.

Also, before you remove the radio head, pull the fuse for USB/12V outlets above the bunk. If these connections should come loose in the process of pulling the radio, they may short out . In any event, check these terminal crimps while you have access.

• Like 1

My thanks to all who commented. My problem was with the speakers on the dinette side front and aft. They neither never worked or had a muffled sound. I am half deaf so I never really noticed it. But my wife isn't half deaf and was tired of me turning up the television the few times we watch it. Yes, the plastic radio cover does pop off easily (the bottom half) and no, I did not break it. The wires were all plugged in properly and so my problem was not there. After reinstalling the radio and popping the cover back on I went back to the TV (which I had already done previously). This time I pulled out every wire that was plugged in and observed the color-coded receptor for each plug. There was a red-colored plug-receptor on the bottom that had no wire plugged in it. I moved the top red wire down to that red receptor and problem solved. (Somebody was in a hurry to go home that day and merely plugged the red feed into the wrong hole.) The Oliver forum (for those who do not know) is a lifesaver for building confidence for DIY projects, tackling problems that come up when owning a boat or trailer, and restoring self esteem religiously. Cheers to all who helped and those who needed it as well.

• Like 2

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, AndrewK said:

Have you tired removing the porthole cover in the cabinet next to the radio?  That should give you enough access to check all of the connections without removing the radio.

Andrew

That hole is made for a better person than myself. I removed it long ago and saw it would be hopeless for me to do anything with it. 

• Haha 1

travelmap2023.jpg

That porthole is useful. Did you know that the solar controller owners manual suggests that you should check the torque on the input wires from the roof panels monthly? Bwaaahaaaa! 😀 I wrote that information onto the removable part of the port, for a refreshing bit of humor whenever I look in that storage compartment.

I did check them one time, when I first poked around in there three years ago, fixing the wiring  Rat’s Nest..... The terminal screws were fine. You do need to use caution if the trailer is outside - those wires are powered whenever the sun is on the roof.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That porthole is useful. Did you know that the solar controller owners manual suggests that you should check the torque on the input wires from the roof panels monthly? Bwaaahaaaa! 😀

The things you learn on this forum. I had no idea...  I better check my torque!  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS