Water leak

After having found several water leaks, including one that screwed up the TV screen, I now have another one.  This one seem to be on the curb side probably the window again.  However, taking a water hose to the window does not seem to make it leak, but coming from Washington, DC in a down pour certainly did.  Any suggestions?  

• Moderators

Nan,  

So I guess the bed got wet.  

Was the bed wet under both halves of the window?  If not, concentrate on the the half that was wet.
Did you see any water stains or spots on the chrome belly band?  If you are testing by yourself, tape some newspaper to the inside wall under the windows and it will make any water leak visible.  And look at the window tracks for signs of water or dampness.  
Did you water test the light fixture above the window?
Are the outside weep holes clean?  See the Oliver YouTube video for more information.  

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Work your way up very gradually with a soft running (low pressure) hose to the roof itself, with somebody inside watching..... there could be a failed seal at the air conditioner, roof vent or a metal bracket. Anything that penetrates the hull can leak. The water will travel downhill and away from the source. The trick is to narrow it down scientifically so you don’t make too many false steps. If you just start at the top, you really have no clue where it is actually getting in....

Mossey mentions newspaper to help spot leaks. Blue paper shop towels from a box store or auto parts store work much much better. They are a pale blue when dry, but even the smallest drop will turn it dark blue. Voila!

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

99EF0A23-2EB0-40EC-8374-DD4DC4607EF4.jpeg

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

ahattar - 

If you click on Nan above it will take you to her member profile page.  Once there you will see "see their activity" in the upper right hand corner.  Click on that and you can see all of the posts ever done by Nan.

Hope this helps your search.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Nan, You have a leak, and it can be frustrating. If a trip to Oliver is out of the question, find someone with a little leak detection experience, and sense, and begin a systematic search for the entry points. There are not that many possibilities, and a window leak didn't get the TV monitor. (More likely the rear Oliver sign, or perhaps the AC opening), but it can tract from a lot of places......

Sealing the unit is - to my surprise- a yearly maintenance item, and thus accordingly, you need to do a good once over, once you actually find the leak entry points. 

As for the window's, at their best - they can be made to leak - but short of a complete new design, you have to work with what you got. And for me its tolerable. I've installed the gutter over my windows (I have a whole order left over if you are so inclined) and modified the weep holes - this next trip will be the first real test. 

If we can figure out how to float a boat - we can figure out how to seal an Oliver from most rain driven water. It  takes systematic trial and error. 

If you were close to my home location, I offer my services. It would be enjoyable to help out. But it will  b after July.....and heck, Oliver is just down the road in that respect.

Good hunting. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Thanks everyone.  I am going to follow everyone's advice and start searching.  I have already cleaned out the window tracks once, used pipe cleaners and replaced the molding with black molding.  I believe the leak that messed the TV (the Oliver sign) is now sealed.  Think I am going to have to ask Grandson to come back over and check out the AC and everything on the roof because the one thing I am not supposed to do is climb on a ladder...lol.  And I would love to buy your left over gutters.  Please let me know how much and the shipping costs and thank you for offering to help me..this is not the first time you have been so kind.  Blessings.

Here is what happened with the previous owner.  She only had the Oliver for a short while before she decided she was allergic to the fiberglass shavings that she found in the air conditioner and heater  vents.  At that time she had both of them removed and replaced with new units.  She also had most of everything removed from the walls and the ac ducks cleaned out.  I believe the bathroom duck that goes under the floor of the closet was crushed and the maintenance people were unable to remove it. Believe they installed a new duck because air does come out of the vent in the bathroom.  Bathroom vanity was also removed and reinstalled.  I do not think I truly realized the extent of all of this when I agreed to by her Oliver. I believe I asked for the problems I have had, but will continue to find and fix with the help of you wonderful people.   I love my Oliver and maybe since I only paid $52,000 (2017 hull 267) for it, I did OK.  

Well the answer to you leak problems are clear - and in your post. Nan - I sent you a  pm on the gutters. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

On 5/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Nan said:

Thanks everyone.  I am going to follow everyone's advice and start searching.  I have already cleaned out the window tracks once, used pipe cleaners and replaced the molding with black molding.  I believe the leak that messed the TV (the Oliver sign) is now sealed.  Think I am going to have to ask Grandson to come back over and check out the AC and everything on the roof because the one thing I am not supposed to do is climb on a ladder...lol.  And I would love to buy your left over gutters.  Please let me know how much and the shipping costs and thank you for offering to help me..this is not the first time you have been so kind.  Blessings.

Nan,

Understand how you feel and we were initially frustrated, too. We purchased Ollie used 2016 and first camping trip had leaks from top dinette window. 

The dinette window leak was coming in at the porch light (old style light fixture) over the dinette window. Resealed the porch light and leak stopped.

Another leak was coming in at the Oliver sign over the rear window and travelling between hulls and dripping out of the rear window onto curbside bed. Removed rear Oliver sign, resealed and no more leaks in that area.

Once these leaks were fixed, have not had other issues with these areas. Since our leaks were repaired we towed through the heaviest rains we have ever seen and one night a tornado passed not too far away with heavy rains without any leaks. I believe campers will eventually leak, but when you get the leaks fixed on your Ollie, you will find Ollie to be a wonderful camper.

• Like 2

LE2