Oliver Lithium Pro Package

Patriot

Just saw this in the Oliver FB forum. Looking forward to learning more about this!

D3742150-B23D-4CAA-86F4-E4112802CA22.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

“Powered by Lithium” Cool.....Where do they put the electric motors, in the wheel hubs?  Can you drive the trailer remotely (back up and self park)? Range and top speed? I am not really interested unless the trailer can go camping by itself, when I am locked at home.

Seriously, if it is a factory lithium option I might be interested in a retrofit when my AGMs die. Depending on the $$$$$. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Oliver put me in touch with prospective buyers, and ten days ago I showed them my Ollie. (Yes, we all tested our temperatures before meeting, and we all wore masks and used hand sanitizer.) 

The prospective buyers said that their Oliver sales rep told them that lithium batteries would be a factory option quite soon.  

Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

3 hours ago, Overland said:

Good news on the batteries, but good lord I hope they don't really plan to add that logo.

Agreed, no lithium logo per Oliver’s comment on the Oliver Owners FB page. I also saw a comment from Oliver saying lithium batteries will run the AC.  Spoke with Anita this morning, she said details of this package would be released In the weeks to come. The Ollie is on its way to the Hiawassee Rally to show off the new lithium pro package.

2835C97C-0210-4736-8AB9-B3A724EDB6D4.gif

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

Love the gif. Pass the popcorn.

Tests have been done in Australia on far more efficient ac units than the Dometic units available to the US. and, we've all seen Overland's experiment. Will it run ac? Sure. How long....

However,  I'm really glad Oliver is getting into lithium. Maybe then, they'll offer a dc danfoss compressor refrigerator . 😄

Sherry

• Haha 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Seriously,  I've been suffering from a bad case of amp hour envy ever since I  saw Overland's setup.

I'm very happy that Oliver is getting into the mix. My house is gridtied, and  can run on my lithium batteries and my solar during power outages.  I  can only imagine how much fun it would be to have that much battery power, and depth of discharge,  in my trailer. 

Any mention of which brand batteries Oliver plans to use?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It’s good news. I just hope it’s a legit option and not just a few battleborn thrown into the battery tray. 

lithium pro to me would be a roof full of solar, 30+ SEER heat pump, induction stove, and Danfoss/Secop fridge.  Then it deserves the powered by lithium badge. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Between Olivers…

• Moderators

"Finally! Going down to the service center in a couple weeks hope to maybe take a peek. "

Normally when we send "spies" on a mission they are told to be secretive.  Perhaps a full frontal assault will take them by surprise?  In any case - the usual applies - if you are caught we will deny any knowledge of your existence.  "Family"?  What family?  Mike? Ride a Triple?

😁

• Haha 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 5/28/2020 at 4:35 PM, SeaDawg said:

Love the gif. Pass the popcorn.

Tests have been done in Australia on far more efficient ac units than the Dometic units available to the US. and, we've all seen Overland's experiment. Will it run ac? Sure. How long....

However,  I'm really glad Oliver is getting into lithium. Maybe then, they'll offer a dc danfoss compressor refrigerator . 😄

Sherry

An amp-hour is still an amp-hour and there and when you consider having to invert 12 to 120 volts, there is quite a price to pay in amperage draw. My guess is that instead of being able to run about 1 hour with agms, you might get double?  Then of course you have depleted you power supply if off shore power. So I think “running the ac” is more of a gimmick promotion. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

The unit was at a Rally. According to Phil's video it has 2  (maybe 3?) group 24 batteries. Supposedly they will run an ac for up to 4 hours, run time. The batteries supposedly will charge from flat to full charge, in 4 hours. (Said will release in a couple of weeks, as they are "fine tuning" the specs?).

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Assuming that Oliver is using the LFP version of the Progressive Dynamics charger, which is 80 amps, then that charge time suggests ~300 Ah total. 

I doubt you’d get 4 hours of AC off that except in absolutely ideal conditions. Probably 2-3 hours is more likely. 

3 100Ah batteries is what I’d expect, since they’ll fit easily in the battery tray. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, GarryandKristi said:

An amp-hour is still an amp-hour and there and when you consider having to invert 12 to 120 volts, there is quite a price to pay in amperage draw. My guess is that instead of being able to run about 1 hour with agms, you might get double?  Then of course you have depleted you power supply if off shore power. So I think “running the ac” is more of a gimmick promotion. 

I politely disagree. That you can run the ac off lithium, even for an hour, is far more than I can do with two group 27 agms.

He never said you could run it 24/7. And, I'm sure there will be qualifiers. 

Amps to amps, useable, if I  replaced my agms with lithium, I  could safely discharge to 90 per cent. I try to  keep my discharge at 25 per cent on agms, to extend the life. Even if I go to 50 per cent on deep cycle agms, I would double my capacity with lithium.

I work with lithium at the house. I won't upgrade my agms in the trailer til my agms die, but oh, I would love to. In my little trailer, I  doubt  3 would fit in the tray. But, even two would really expand my battery power.

Everything comes with a price.  In the case of lithium batteries,  it's a sizable one. I wouldn't opt for them, unless you were like us, camping off grid, virtually all the time. If you have access to power cords most of the time, fla or agm is fine, cheaper, and quite efficient. Imo. 

Edited to add, we rarely use ac, because we can't,  without power cord. What would be great for me, is being able to run my fridge, charge phones, and use an inverter to run an induction hotplate from my battery.

Everything changes. Evolution.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+

There will be more to the Lithium package than just adding batteries......

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

That could only mean that they’re adding a hybrid charger/inverter, which imo is really the key to getting the most out of them. (Maybe also Bluetooth monitoring, but then you can get that with a $200 battery monitor. )

Still, I’m of the opinion that for an E2, 400 Ah is the minimum to make LFP beneficial over a standard setup. Less than that, and you’re just spending money with little practical gain, though arguably it’s a better base system to expand upon. For an E1 it’s a different matter - even 200 Ah of LFP would be a benefit.  600Ah is the real goal for an E2, which should be possible, if you’re creative with placement, or willing to do a separate BMS with generic batteries. 

But all this is just talk until they tell us what they’re offering. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone. We just sold our class b van and we are starting to look at trailers now. Ollie's are at the top of my list, but the three things I really do not like are - No lithium option, not awning style windows and no compressor fridge. It sounds like they might be getting ready to solve all three of these concerns! At least I read on Facebook that they are engineering the awning style windows. The compressor fridge is just a guess as most offer that with a lithium option. This forum has been an invaluable tool and it looks like Ollie owners are a great bunch. I am looking forward to joining the owner side of the equation in the near future. Thanks for all of the great information. 

Mike

• Like 1

• Moderators

John & Nancy, congratulations!

We'll all be looking forward to your photos.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

21 hours ago, Mrfleck said:

Hello Everyone. We just sold our class b van and we are starting to look at trailers now. Ollie's are at the top of my list, but the three things I really do not like are - No lithium option, not awning style windows and no compressor fridge. It sounds like they might be getting ready to solve all three of these concerns! At least I read on Facebook that they are engineering the awning style windows. The compressor fridge is just a guess as most offer that with a lithium option. This forum has been an invaluable tool and it looks like Ollie owners are a great bunch. I am looking forward to joining the owner side of the equation in the near future. Thanks for all of the great information. 

Mike

Awning style windows would be great.  I wonder if they will be on the 2021 models.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

8 hours ago, John & Nancy said:

Oh yea!  We pick up hull # 626 (demo) available Sept 8 which has Lithium ion Batteries, 340 watt Solar package & 3000 watt inverter.

Congratulations!!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg