Heading Down to TN

Landcruiser

Hello everyone!

I have been searching through the forum over the past week. Really enjoy reading peoples experiences and opinions on topics that interest me. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge.

Well I'm headed down from the Northeast soon to pick up my LE2. Should be fun, deciding what to bring, what not to bring! Where to stay, what questions to ask, making sure all the systems are working properly while I'm there.

Expecting my paperwork to show up in the mail today, so I can get all registered and insured before I leave. I really expected it yesterday.

I'm new to forum use, but I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the great info!

Best,

Peter

• Like 1

When we drove down, we came from the Seattle area, so we had bought almost everything to fully outfit the trailer including all kitchen items, bedding, our clothes etc.

In Hohenwald, a few blocks from the  Oliver delivery center are both a Walmart and a Tractor Supply.  
We had carried in our truck a couple ice chests and bought all our fridge items at the Walmart in the AM before we went to our pickup...

Also...if you're interested in what others have bought for their Oliver's you can check out the Oliver Trailer Outfitters link on Amazon.

Craig & Rose

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

https://4-ever-hitched.com/

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

We came from Texas which was only about 700 miles to Holenwald and were able to carry what we needed in our Crew Cab full size pickup. It as truly loaded, but only had to go to Walmart three times to pickup things that we didn't bring after picking up our trailer the first day. Probably didn't spend over $30 in all three trips. We were coming from a Casita, so we have always been able to travel somewhat light and new just about what we would need to work our way back to Texas over a six day period. I really wanted to get back home to make those improvements to the trailer that I had already collected and we waiting for me to install in my shop. You can stay a Oliver for a couple of days if you want to settle in after the long trip there, they have hookups and like you said a Walmart and Tractor Supply are close by. We did opt for the Davy Crockett State Park stay for two nights which we found very nice and the town is much larger then Holenwald and offers more dinning and shopping if needed. I think you got it figured out, so all should go well.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

Welcome, Peter.  When we didn’t have our Oliver we stayed once at Fall Hollow (great breakfast!) and once at a B&B at a local winery.  That was about 5 years ago, not sure what is available today.  If you’re going to camp on your way home be sure to bring what you’l need to do that.  We had a truck load of stuff to camp with a couple of weeks on our way home.  Bedding, kitchen items, grill, chairs, etc.  Recommend camping close to Hohenwald the first few nights, there are lots of good options.  If you have questions during the process you’ll get lots of answer here.  Good luck!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Peter - 

I'll also add my welcome to you.  Don't worry about lack of Forum use - you'll get better the more you interact here.

The most important thing about picking up your Oliver is to enjoy yourself.  All the other stuff can be learned - which is half the fun.  Review as much as you can here on the Forum before you go and specifically take a look at the Oliver University for your model of Ollie - 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

AND, if you have not viewed it certainly take a look at the what to expect video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TES5Qhr7DQc

Finally, let all of us know how it went for you and if there is anything we can do.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

12 hours ago, Overland said:

So is your username any indication of what vehicle you’ll be towing with?  If so, you’ll need to get to know @John E Davies. He’s the land cruiser aficionado on the forum, and speaks highly of their towing ability. 

Overland,

Yes, I will be picking up my my trailer with my LC200. I'm looking forward to the road trip. I will be camping out of it on the way down. 

I have spent some time reading through Johns' posts, they have been very informing.

Peter

• Thanks 1

Peter, congratulations on your new Ollie and thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. I hope your 200 works out for you. What year is it? I found the stock Load C tires to be too soft, the ride was very nice indeed, but towing was a little uncertain in inclement weather, bad roads and crosswinds. LT Load E tires stiffen things up, at the cost of some mpgs and comfort. Are you getting the Andersen? It is needed.

Have fun and post pictures. If you have a later truck with the 8 speed, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I have always thought that the 8 speed with a ring and pinion change (Tundra 4.30 takeoffs) would make a simply stellar combination. My 6 speed with 3.90 gears is lacking a little. LOTS of great towing info in this long thread ..... 

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-with-a-200-series-toyota-land-cruiser.932343/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Peter, congratulations on your new Ollie and thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. I hope your 200 works out for you. What year is it? I found the stock Load C tires to be too soft, the ride was very nice indeed, but towing was a little uncertain in inclement weather, bad roads and crosswinds. LT Load E tires stiffen things up, at the cost of some mpgs and comfort. Are you getting the Andersen? It is needed.

Have fun and post pictures. If you have a later truck with the 8 speed, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I have always thought that the 8 speed with a ring and pinion change (Tundra 4.30 takeoffs) would make a simply stellar combination. My 6 speed with 3.90 gears is lacking a little. LOTS of great towing info in this long thread ..... 

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-with-a-200-series-toyota-land-cruiser.932343/

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, Thank you

I have a 2018

It has Dunlop AT/23's. I plan to upgrade, but they are still in good shape.

I did get Anderson and I upgraded to 2 5/16"

I really love the truck. It's a beast.

I put in the Heavy BP-51 OME suspension to handle some extra weight. It brought me up almost 3".

Sitting in my driveway the top of my receiver is about 28 1/2" off the ground. I'm assuming I'll have to drop the Anderson down to about 24" for the LE2?  Sooo I'm thinking my tailgate will open without hitting the locking pin on the bulldog hitch or the top of the Anderson drop hitch. Hopefully! What were your experiences with this?

Peter

I think you will be no worries with that much lift. My truck has the stock suspension except for 33” Ridge Grapplers, load E, and rear Firestone airbags. The tailgate would just barely smack the top of the Bulldog coupler (the latch). I ended up buying a Plus 3 (3” longer) Andersen stinger to get lots of clearance. I am not sure they sell those any more, but it was an online catalog item for a while.

The larger ball and coupler would normally make for even less tailgate clearance, but your lift will definitely take care of that. Your stiffer suspension should completely negate the need for airbags- I am a little jealous of that suspension,. But I decided that I would keep my 200 as close to stock as possible. I had a 1996 Series 80 (LX450) that was fully farkled, and when my son totaled it, I vowed to not fall into that bottomless money pit again. I did remove the Old Codger running boards from the 200, first thing tho...

Do you have a brake control installed yet?

My 200 has the trailer light receptacle way over to the right. If yours is the same you need to make very sure that the Ollie harness is not too short before you leave Hohenwald. I route mine straight to the Andersen stinger and secure it there with a bungee cord, and leave a large enough free loop of cable to not bind in a tight left jackknife situation.

This is the 2 5/16” ball and coupler showing the turning loop and the longer mount. Note that I cut off about 3” of my Andersen mount that would normally have been hanging down. If you discover that your mount does not come down far enough, I am sure Service will swap it out for a taller one.

AB913C0D-4BA1-43E4-BCAA-318C822B8A42.thumb.jpeg.b805c8c866007a6b971ae6c2bbf98ddd.jpeg

Have fun, I really want to see pics.

EDIT: I apologise for using an odd motorcycle term that may be meaningless to many.... Farkle: Fancy Accessory, Really Kool, Likely Expensive.

John Davies

Spokane WA

FA8D7461-6417-4BDD-8752-945657BAF878.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John

Great, I was thinking the lift will do it, we'll see when I hook her up.

Ahhh the money pit. I haven't made any vows yet, we'll see. I love those 80 series truck's, they're the ones to mode out for sure. Perfect size. I pulled off my running boards too. I put some Budbuilt sliders on. Highly recommended, heavy duty for sure.

I did install a brake controller a few weeks ago. I went with the Redarc Tow Pro. Easy install, hope it works, haha. Test light says it's all good, we'll see.

Ya, my receptacle is way over to the right also. I like the way you set yours up. I'll do the same. Thanks for the heads up on the length.

I'll try and add a few pic's of my 200 to this thread. I'm just learning the forum thing.

Peter

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2020 at 7:50 AM, Mike and Carol said:

Welcome, Peter.  When we didn’t have our Oliver we stayed once at Fall Hollow (great breakfast!) and once at a B&B at a local winery.  That was about 5 years ago, not sure what is available today.  If you’re going to camp on your way home be sure to bring what you’l need to do that.  We had a truck load of stuff to camp with a couple of weeks on our way home.  Bedding, kitchen items, grill, chairs, etc.  Recommend camping close to Hohenwald the first few nights, there are lots of good options.  If you have questions during the process you’ll get lots of answer here.  Good luck!  Mike

Davy Crockett State Park is around 45 miles from Holenwald, Oliver said if I had a problem wile there and if it couldn't be handled on the phone they would drive there and bring a tech to check it out. 

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators

For the pre-pickup stay, the bnb at Fall Hollow might be nice. We stayed there one night, several years ago, just after Sheri and Noel bought the campground.  As I recall, they don't accept pets. (Call, because that may have changed.) They also have a bigger room in the house up the hill now, from what I have heard. Noel cooks a really great breakfast, and I don't even like breakfast foods. 😃 Our room (in the main campground building) was kind of hotel style,  extremely clean, nice linens, and quite quiet. 

Cell phone reception out there was poor to nonexistent on tmobile. Verizon worked ok, but not full bars. Cell phone reception for anything but Verizon is something to be considered in many places in rural areas, especially Tennessee. Again, it's been several years, so this may have changed, too.

When you get the camper, there are a number of state campgrounds not too far away to enjoy. Plan to spend some time close by, test everything and enjoy your new Oliver. You really don't need to take too much gear or supplies, unless you are planning a long camping trip home.

For a boondocking campground  close to Oliver,  do consider Lewis and Clark , just past Fall Hollow, on the Natchez trace parkway.

Sherry 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Peter,

A big congrats on picking up your new Ollie. There are many long time Oliver owners here more than willing to help with questions as well as sharing their hands on knowledge. 
We have been patiently waiting since January to take delivery of our new Ollie Hull #634 very soon...in 15 days but who is counting? 😄 No doubt we really do believe the wait will be well worth it, and like you we are really excited. Oliver has done an amazing job with Oliver University, and the recent release of maintenance videos. 
Hope to meet you at the 2020 fall rally. Happy Camping!

David & Kathy

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg