Poo thought

Landrover

Awhile back there was some discussion about the rhino 21gal waste tote. Any likes or dislikes? Doing some crude math 8lbs per gal of water x 21gal + poo 168+ lbs full. Definitely not putting it in the truck bed even with wheels heavy to haul by hand over ruff roads, I’m not sure how towing it over ruff areas will work?  The  dometic toilet in the Oliver works well but is small  can’t do much thinking on it.  🤔 I have some reserves about the compositing toilet fan running exhausting to the outside adding compost stuff etc.  I took an overnight trip and used a portable toilet only three gals cap. It sat in the shower stall, it worked great  except no privacy with the door open, but i was alone so no big deal.  My thought was to replace the OEM toilet with a self contained 5 gal  Close off the opening only to be able to put back to  orig if needed.  Having the portable would also create more area for showering if removed.  There are a many different styles and shapes to choose from and most are inexpensive. The one I  have now was from Sears 25 yrs ago and still works great. Thoughts? Thanks

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators

I think it's a great backup. Why would you replace the original toilet and  tank with something with one third of the capacity?

I'm not unfamiliar with portapottiies. Used them, they have their place.

Camping In Australia, I reserved and bought  a bucket portapotty, thunder down under, because our van had no toilet.. It worked well for our 6 week trip. In my Oliver, I have a much bigger tank. 

We've used pretty much everything over the years. Pail, Pail with a seat, portapotty, cassette toilet, rV toilet with black tank. Haven't ever had a composting toilet..

I'm happy with the rv toilet and black tank. Usually more than we need. 

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Earthcruiser uses a cassette unit and if it’s good enough for a $200k rig then it’s good enough for me. The question is how to fit it it the Ollie.  I think John D. looked at doing one prior to ordering his Ollie - you might send him a PM or maybe he’ll see the topic and post his opinion. 

Personally I think the composting toilet is a great choice, though it’s worth looking at alternates to Oliver’s offering. There are some newer brands out there that are interesting.   

We used one of these in our last few years of tent camping and I’ve got to say it was a pretty good solution. In fact it’s so compact that we still often pack it as a backup.  At the end of the day, dealing with poop is unpleasant regardless how you do it. Just pick your poison. 

Edited by Overland

Personally we have never had a problem with the toilet/tank/disposal setup. Simple, easy, and relatively quick. If that portable tank is too heavy only fill it half full, or maybe get a smaller tank? You do know the handle is designed to slide over the trailer hitch, and be pulled by the tow vehicle? The law, at least in Maine, is those portable tanks are only to be used by those that have been instructed by the CG staff. Maybe the simple task, and the power of gravity, are not as obvious to all as one would think...

• Moderators

For a number of years now I have cautioned about simply purchasing a large portable waste tank due to the size of the tank and the weight of the tank when full.  Smaller tanks of this sort can be stored and handled much easier and all of these tanks can be fitted with an indicator that "warns" you of how full they are getting.  In addition, I always carry "Double Doodie" (or WalMart's equivalent) bags:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-2683-03-Double-Doodie/dp/B0024O0W94/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2GENF1YIDNWHC&dchild=1&keywords=double+doodie+toilet+waste+bags&qid=1590930131&sprefix=double+doo%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-2

These bags can be placed and used inside the existing Oliver standard toilet in the event I am concerned about not being able to find a dump station.  Or, they can be used outside when I have my shower tent set up for longer boondocking situations.

However, back to Landrover's thoughts, it might be interesting to have an RV toilet that is a combination cassette and black tank.  Use the black tank when you need longer term storage of waste matter but have the cassette when you know you will have places to empty the contents more frequently.

For a time I was very interested in composting toilets.  But, the more I learn the more I found out that I would only be swapping one set of issues for another.  And, as Sherry has said, the job of emptying the black tank is really no big deal and for my kind of camping the water saving "feature" of the composting toilet is really not sufficient to justify the kind of money charged for those things.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I'm only guessing, but I suspect the cassette toilet in the Earthcruiser is set up similar to one we used in a rental van in New Zealand. To empty the cassette, we opened a locking door outside the vehicle, flipped a lever and pulled out the cassette. Because of its small capacity (I'm thinking it only held only 3 or 4 gallons), it wasn't difficult to carry to the dump site. There, the emptying tube was swung out, dump valve opened, and you held down a vent valve button to allow air in, preventing a nasty splashback.

The neat feature was having the access door to the cassette on the outside, so it wasn't carried through the camper, and the cassette was at a decent height to manage removal since we stood outside. If it had to be removed in a small bathroom, it would have been an awkward removal at floor level.

I think some US made small tent trailers use a similar cassette access. 

I do remember lots of signs in campground toilets prohibiting dumping of cassettes in the toilets. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.