Twin model back support/bed options

Nancy K.

Ordering the twin option, will first try adding extra foam for sleeping and if that doesn't work for us we live near enough to Southern Mattress to order mattresses later.  Two questions before we finalize our order:

1. Those that use a combo of the provided bed cushion and foam, do you put the foam under or over the cushion?  And are your fitted bed linens wrapped around both parts or just one?  (I sew and can adjust either way.)

2. I want to sit on the galley end of the bed during the day with my feet on the floor but need more back support because the "lip" of the bed area makes it more comfortable to sit forward.  I could sew some low, thick, stiff cushions. Or has anyone been able to order extra top dinette cushions?  Could also switch to couch configuration and separate/double up the cushions but adding foam under the bed might raise the couch cushions too high for the window.   Would greatly appreciate your advice/pictures.

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

• Moderators

Nancy -

1 - I believe that most people going this route use the foam on top of the existing cushions.  I've heard of at least one person that made a cover for the foam and that served as a "bottom sheet".  They claimed that this made making and deploying the bedding easier each day.

2 - I use a number of throw pillows for the purpose you describe.  This way I can use more of them or less of them depending on the situation and where I want to sit/relax.  At least one former Oliver owner (Windcrasher) purchased "wedge" pillows (roughly shaped like a triangle) in order to reduce that distance while at the same time providing for more back support.  You can purchase additional "back cushions" through Oliver - I have one side of my twin bed designed as a couch.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We had a few extra back cushions made for ours.  We had them made slightly smaller so that they sort of have the look of throw pillows.  The extra 4” is pretty much perfect for sitting.  We also have a couple of large throw pillows and it’s a nice combination to accommodate both lounging and sitting up straight - really nice in combination with a Lagun table.  During the day, the throw pillows also hide our sleeping pillows, which get stuffed in the back corners.

215602BA-C8A4-42B7-AF73-AB2941D526CF.thumb.jpeg.d4342fb6b4d3a31e82bc2dceb46bcced.jpeg

Edited by Overland

Thank you for your help, everyone.  I'm also looking into the option of ordering extra yardage of the "flannel"  color fabric through the service department.

"Creativity is the fun of putting together unexpected ideas."  Hazel Edwards

I guess you have to do what works for you, we have 3" memory foam mattress that we purchased from Walmart ($130.00). I got the queen size and it just had to be cut into and shortened about 5", we put in on top of the factory bed cushions. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Nancy K. said:

Thank you for your help, everyone.  I'm also looking into the option of ordering extra yardage of the "flannel"  color fabric through the service department.

You can always add extra cushions in a coordinating fabric. I love toto fabrics for my projects. Deep discounts on really nice commercial fabrics. During the lockdown,  I  reupholstered my 1957 midmod erik buch dining chairs, an yngve ekstrom lounge chair and footstool from the 60s, made new cushions for a mid mod basket chair upstairs, and recovered another bench for our daughter, and four dining seats for her. I think I probably saved several hundred dollars on fabric. 

But then, I  had nothing but time.. stuck at home with my air compressor,  staples, and furniture 😃

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.