SpaceX/NASA launch and Jetty Park campground

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Unfortunately,  Jetty Park campground was still closed (as far as I could see) for the historic launch this past weekend. Otherwise,  we'd have tried to be there. 

For future launches, I've heard it's a great vantage point for launches from the spacecoast of Florida.  (Most campgrounds have reopened in Florida,  though. )

It's a really great feeling for those of us in Florida to see the success of this mission. For many years, I worked next to Honeywell plant 2, and we always took a break to watch the contrails of missions leaving the launch pad, across the state. Paul and I  drove over to the other coast nine years ago to see the "last" shuttle launch from a parking place along the highway. It was magnificent, but also bittersweet.  

Next launch, I'd really love to be camped at Jetty Park. Hats off to our brave astronauts,  and support crews, and innovators that have us back in space, launched from Florida.

The Spacecoast is truly the Spacecoast, once again.

Sherry

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I had the good fortune of being able to watch a mission liftoff several years ago.  If you ever have the chance - don't miss it!  Even at ten miles away the whole thing is stunning from both a visual and physical perspective.  Even watching this SpaceX mission on YouTube brought chills.

Perhaps SeaDawg might organize an Oliver Space Rally one of these days? 😃

Bill

• Like 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I had the good fortune of being able to watch a mission liftoff several years ago.  If you ever have the chance - don't miss it!  Even at ten miles away the whole thing is stunning from both a visual and physical perspective.  Even watching this SpaceX mission on YouTube brought chills.

Perhaps SeaDawg might organize an Oliver Space Rally one of these days? 😃

Bill

That would, indeed, be awesome!

Even watching the launches from across the state is beautiful,  on a clear day. The last NASA shuttle, 9 years ago, was a very moving experience.  From probably 8 miles away. 

Sherry

• Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We were glued to the big screen watching SpaceX launch. I gotta say we really needed to see something positive given the news cycle as of late. Kathy and I were so happy to witness such a successful launch and yesterdays docking with the space station. Despite all the craziness going on presently...the Space Coast persevered how awesome! 🇺🇸

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Congratulations to SpaceX and NASA.

Our astronauts,Behnken and Hurley,  are safely back on earth, after 64 days and the successful space station docking,  stay, and return. I watched the first splash down in 45 years with, literally,  tears in my eyes.

Launched from Florida,  splashed in the Gulf off Pensacola, I'm kind of Florida proud tonight, too.

So many people worked so hard to make this happen. 

Sherry

Screenshot_20200802-161028_YouTube.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

They're home. Safe. 

And, we are entering a new era.

Screenshot_20200802-214212_YouTube.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Overland said:

With more fashionable space suits. 

Indeed.

20200802_223529.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

4 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Probably won't be considered a complete success until they can fly in jean shorts and flip flops?

and $99 fare from BNA on  Southwest! with peanuts.... that's with a return flight.........

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

If any one is interested in watching a space launch. Jetty park is one of the preferred spots. If you don’t mined being a little  further away. I suggest The Great Out Doors Rv and golf resort.  I lived at the resort for Five years.  We were able to view every  launch from are back patio. Not up close and personal, but you will see a great view and hear and feel the rumble of the launch.  And if for some reason the launch  doesn’t happen you still have the amenities golf, pool fishing restaurant etc. may be a bit pricey for some but a very nice resort.  

Edited by Landrover
  • Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Another historic and successful launch tonight!

It was too cloudy for me to see anything from the back yard, but I  watched it online at nasa channel.

So proud of everyone involved, and especially the brave crew of 4.

Screenshot_20201115-194741_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201115-193853_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201115-194702_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Resilience will dock with the iss tomorrow night. You can see it on nasa, or youtube.

I seriously have tears in my eyes. Such a great achievement. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

You can also try your hand at the docking simulator, from spacex. 

https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

What a way to spend a Sunday night. 

20201115_201802.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Went out with the family to see if we could get lucky and see anything yesterday evening (it was clear).  Had a great view of the rocket for 45 seconds or so here in the Chapel Hill, NC area.  That was cool!!!

• Like 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

• Moderators

WOW!

If anyone ever gets a chance to be reasonably close to one of these launches then you simply must do it.

Last night I mentioned to my wife that this launch looked and felt much like "Buck Rodgers".  Unfortunately, at this stage of life driving a Formula One car and riding on a rocket are two things that will most likely not happen.  Maybe I'll go for a motorcycle ride this afternoon.

Bill

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"