Walkie Talkies

Patriot

We are looking to purchase a decent set of walkie talkies in the $100 price point. Something with a weather radio frequency, water proof, rechargeable via USB, back lit screen and a decent range 15-30 mile reception and reasonably simple to use. A highly visible color 
Motorola seems to have a few models we are considering. Any suggestions appreciated based on a good use/ownership experience.

Thanks,

Patriot

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

The new Icom V86 is $125 at gigaparts.com.  MilSpec construction, IP64, etc.  It's not going to be in the easy to use category since it's a ham radio, but you won't beat the quality or range with any other handheld.

I had a problem with the Motorola radios we initially bought, since it took a few seconds after pressing the key for them to actually start transmitting.  I sent them back because of that and ended up with a pair of Icoms and they've been great.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Overland said:

The new Icom V86 is $125 at gigaparts.com.  MilSpec construction, IP64, etc.  It's not going to be in the easy to use category since it's a ham radio, but you won't beat the quality or range with any other handheld.

I had a problem with the Motorola radios we initially bought, since it took a few seconds after pressing the key for them to actually start transmitting.  I sent them back because of that and ended up with a pair of Icoms and they've been great.  

License required??

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

In staying with in our 2 way radio $100 budget, I ordered a pair of these Motorola T 600’s. Reasonably user friendly, hi viz color, weather channel, water proof, flashlight, uses a rechargeable battery pack or triple A. I don’t expect very much range from these at all as the technology has not changed much over the years. For backing the Ollie up they should work just fine. 

This gal does a fairly decent review, I got a chuckle out of the whipper will calling at the start of the vid-

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, hobo said:

License required??

Not for the MURS frequencies.  Our default is the blue dot channel and we've never had a need to switch to another. For the rest, yes, if you need to use them.

It's nice to know that we have the ham frequencies available in case of emergency (no license required for emergency use), and we keep a cheat sheet on our phones to remind us how to use them if we ever need to.  

We've also found it handy to be able to monitor park ranger frequencies.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

In staying with in our 2 way radio $100 budget, I ordered a pair of these Motorola T 600’s. Reasonably user friendly, hi viz color, weather channel, water proof, flashlight, uses a rechargeable battery pack or triple A. I don’t expect very much range from these at all as the technology has not changed much over the years. For backing the Ollie up they should work just fine. 

I'd be curious to know how they work for you.  That's the exact model I had - I'm sure that I either had something set wrong or one of the radios was bad, but I couldn't get help from Motorola in getting it figured out which is why I switched.  I preferred the simplicity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Overland said:

I'd be curious to know how they work for you.  That's the exact model I had - I'm sure that I either had something set wrong or one of the radios was bad, but I couldn't get help from Motorola in getting it figured out which is why I switched.  I preferred the simplicity.

We will give them a try this week after they arrive and share our feedback/thoughts on how well they work. If we are unhappy with this set, a hasty Amazon return will follow. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/5/2020 at 9:57 AM, Overland said:

Not for the MURS frequencies.  Our default is the blue dot channel and we've never had a need to switch to another. For the rest, yes, if you need to use them.

It's nice to know that we have the ham frequencies available in case of emergency (no license required for emergency use), and we keep a cheat sheet on our phones to remind us how to use them if we ever need to.  

We've also found it handy to be able to monitor park ranger frequencies.  

What's the output (watts) on the MURS frequencies?

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

No limit so to keep legal you shouldn’t use high power in those frequencies. I should point out that to gain access to the MURS frequencies on ham radios you have to do what’s called a Mars/Cap mod. In other words, it’s up to you to make sure that you’re licensed for whatever frequency you’re using and not transmitting with too much power. 

Our Motorola T600’s arrived today and I installed the batteries and left them on charge for about 6 hrs. After indication on the radio LED signaling a full charge we did a few radio checks here at home and they are very crisp and clear. We plan to do a much further longer range test in the near future. The emergency weather channel was also very clear. For our needs which will mostly be when backing the Ollie up into a camp site, I am initially impressed and think they will serve us well. This set came with a nice stout case and multiple charging cords.

1ADA3EA7-C9F3-4B45-8D48-7B17E69D0DAB.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

They look really nice. 

We mostly use walkie talkies on the mountain, when my husband and I  are in separate locations,  and cell phones don't work. We also find them useful when traveling with a friend.  One in our truck, one in the friends  truck. Easier to use a radio than a phone, many times. But, at fairly close range.

We usually use hand signals backing up. 

We had a set of older, simpler Motorola's for many years. They were great.  Midland has been a good brand, too. 

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.