Awning sun shades/screens

topgun2

• Moderators

For anyone considering the purchase of one of these sun/wind screens (like me), you might want to consider one that comes in two pieces and zip together.  Mike & Carol purchased one of these in Quartzsite a couple of years ago and the advantage is that when temporarily leaving the campsite or stowing the awning for the night, you only have to unzip the lower portion of the screen and then roll up the awning.  Mike tells me that when traveling they remove the entire screen since the short portion does not entirely roll up into the case with the awning.

https://www.amazon.com/13-Charcoal-Vista-Shade-Zipper/dp/B00DV7F8AQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3PG9UJ6TVOKPD&dchild=1&keywords=vista+shade+with+zipper&qid=1591543597&sprefix=Vista+Shade+%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-5

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

We like our shade.  We bought it at one of those tent vendors outside of the Big Tent at Quartzsite a few years ago.  With the zipper it is easy to drop in just a few seconds if needed.  Then, it goes back up just a quick.  I’ll look for some pictures....

7BF512E0-F01C-483C-BC95-94E0235A4251.jpeg

A11929B9-2BA1-4210-97DB-51EECEC8BD81.jpeg

8BD9CCF3-8463-4907-928A-6A0C2B69A7D6.jpeg

5D8AACAD-BDE0-4071-AF75-0053D5FAFC50.jpeg

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Thanks 3
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Mike & Carol,

Since you jumped in (thanks!) - do you know what the measurements are of the shade you have?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

4 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The top panel is 12’ wide X 10” (about).

If you unzip the shade screen and roll up the awning, does the 10'' piece with the zipper interfere with opening or closing the trailer door?

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, DavidS said:

If you unzip the shade screen and roll up the awning, does the 10'' piece with the zipper interfere with opening or closing the trailer door?

Good question.  I don’t recall it interfering.  The only times I remember dropping the shade and cranking the awning in were when the support legs were attached to the trailer and I cranked the awning up leaving the support legs attached so about 18” of awning was out.  It would take a tornado to cause damage with that little surface area exposed.  When I have the shade attached and the support legs on the ground I anchor the legs and now use 5 heavy duty bungees on the shade.  It has survived some pretty serious wind gusts in that mode.  I imagine if I cranked the awning all the way in there could be a little interference.  I’ll test it the next time we’re out (next month!).  Mike

• Thanks 3

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Interesting idea. You are suggesting  that with the sun shade tied down strongly and the support legs staked to the ground, there will be much greater resistance to the wind. Probably true. Additional resistance to the wind could be achieved with anchors from the top of the support poles, as in @Overland's photo in this post. Overland, how do you attach the tie-down straps to the top of the support pole? 

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I wrap them around the extension arms. I worried that if I cinched up the straps too much that I’d damage the arms or the outside joint but it hasn’t been a problem. 
When we don’t use the poles, we roll up our awnings the same as Mike when we’re away. Just unlock clips and roll in the awnings until the support arms almost touch the hull.  Super easy and like Mike says, it would take a hurricane to damage them in that position. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DavidS said:

Interesting idea. You are suggesting  that with the sun shade tied down strongly and the support legs staked to the ground, there will be much greater resistance to the wind. Probably true. Additional resistance to the wind could be achieved with anchors from the top of the support poles, as in @Overland's photo in this post. Overland, how do you attach the tie-down straps to the top of the support pole? 

I have used tie downs on the support poles and staked the poles themselves.  Combined with the shade being held with the heavy duty bungees it’s pretty sturdy.  If we’re on a short hike I don’t worry about taking anything down.  If we’re gone for more than a few hours I unzip the shade and crank the awning in - just don’t want to worry about it.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

For those of us who do not have street side awnings, this is a possible alternative.   I’ve put my commitment in on Kickstarter yesterday, for a MoonShade XL, pre-order sale price of $445.  As of yesterday, it was 50% funded in one day, so this indicates to me this is a popular item that is going to go into production soon.   It’s 12’  x 9’ so should fit nicely along the street side, provide shade over the two large side windows next to the dinette and the rear bunk.   It attaches with suction cups, 3m VHB, or you can screw or bolt anchors into your trailer.  Personally I’m  going to try the first 2 options.  It’s a test of course, I won’t know how well it works until I try it.    The price might seem high but I’ve seen and assembled the smaller version (MoonShade Original) and it is a quality piece of gear.   I had to try something as my wife is still unhappy that I talked her out of the street side awning option on our trailer order.  If you think you want one,  I suggest you jump in now if you want the significant discount.  If you’d rather wait and see, I’ll post a follow-up review with pics in the future and let you know how it worked out. 

MoonShade XL

• Like 5

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250