Television

The Furrion television has been zapped with rain water from the Oliver sign (since repaired).  Jason said I could buy another 12VDC  19" TV that would  work boondocking  but that I could also buy a 120VAC TV that would only work if plugged into shore power. He said I could actually go to a 28" TV, but would need to check and make sure it would fit with the window shade and wall.  Has anyone actually replaced their television and could you please tell me what you bought?  Thanks.

I've just replaced my 2018 original Furrion with a 28" 12 volt, Free Signal, Transit. Functionality is a big improvement but installation did require a complete recabling of the entertainment system due to cable port function and location differences. It fits fine with respect to the window shade and cable through-grommet, but it is about two inches thicker and extends forward of the overhead about an inch. I looked at moving the mount 1-1/2" to the rear but this would be quite involved due to the size of the aluminum backing plate that's epoxied to the fiberglass attic floor. I elected to just add some small vinyl bumpers to the attic door hinge buttons in order to limit the door travel and prevent an open latch from contacting the screen.

The last picture is looking up from the vanity top. Look closely and you can see how much clearance there is between the TV and window shade. I do plan to lower the TV on the mount slide the last available inch, visible in picture three. This will reduce the rear clearance when raised but there's still enough space.

E38CECCA-8FC9-4B61-A019-C51F0E2092FA_1_105_c.jpeg

02A7EEAC-732C-4F37-9C80-F8D6708947C8_1_105_c.jpeg

14513251-7B71-4E11-AD29-4D14EB430B6F_1_105_c.jpeg

0AC63F6A-765E-4035-83EE-6C276FFB77A7_1_105_c.jpeg

EC75556A-4E43-481B-A6A8-B8E925B76BE5_1_105_c.jpeg

148B14F5-2705-47DA-A9FA-393A0A32D88A_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by bhncb
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Nan, do you watch a lot of tv? Do you camp often without hookups?

A 110 tv is really inexpensive at most big box stores, if you usually have power. 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

You are right.  I do not watch a lot of TV and I am just now getting into camping so don't know if I will be boon docking in the near future. I am getting old and maybe less willing to strike out on my own.  (guess that is why I joined Sisters on the Fly..which so far has turned out to nothing.  LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking to replace my furrion tv as it’s starting to have the picture brightness continuously going from bright to a dim bright. I see that the 2020 Oliver now go with the Jenson brand. So first question Furrion or Jenson.  Now I see that Furrion has a 32 inch 12 volt with a sound bar incorporated and I was thinking of getting it but because of the size it will not be able to rise up to secure it while traveling. Any thoughts if I just kept it down while traveling ‘

BHNCB. you still happy with the transit?

26 minutes ago, Corcomi said:

I am also looking to replace my furrion tv as it’s starting to have the picture brightness continuously going from bright to a dim bright. I see that the 2020 Oliver now go with the Jenson brand. So first question Furrion or Jenson.  Now I see that Furrion has a 32 inch 12 volt with a sound bar incorporated and I was thinking of getting it but because of the size it will not be able to rise up to secure it while traveling. Any thoughts if I just kept it down while traveling ‘

BHNCB. you still happy with the transit?

I wouldn't sacrifice the fold up storage for the additional screen size of a 32. It will probably ride okay in the down position but seems to me, with the additional width, it will always be in the way. The 28" Transit hangs over the sides of the nightstand about 2 inches which isn't such a big deal. Before committing, I'd check the dimensions of the 32 Jensen carefully  with a cardboard template to see if you can live with the size.

As far as the sound bar: I thought about maybe adding a small external one but we always run the TV sound through the DV3300  speakers using ARC mode, which is satisfactory for now. I did however replace the speakers with 6.5" Pioneers which are much cleaner than the 5" Jensens.

The Transit operate like I expect a TV to operate. The Furrion was immediate frustration from the first time I powered it on. Slow remote command response and some inopportune screen menu timeouts were my main issues with it, aside from the postage stamp screen size. The Transit is a bit more expensive and you loose the second/redundant DVD player but I have no regrets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corcomi said:

because of the size it will not be able to rise up to secure it while traveling. Any thoughts if I just kept it down while traveling

IMHO the tv should ALWAYS be raised when not in use. Three reasons.... It blocks the view and daylight coming from the back glass. It is so very unattractive. But most critically, it blocks your only emergency route in case of fire or something nasty trying to get in the door. Have you ever practiced an emergency egress, especially if you have a rear rack? It is awkward even under very ideal conditions.

I removed the fixed mount tv entirely the day “Mouse” got home. I haven’t missed it even once. I can watch downloaded stuff on an iPad with wireless headphones or cuddle up with my wife to watch.

If you take it out you can put a fan back in the corner. I think the trailer looks much better without that huge appliance.

John Davies

Spokane WA

C4FD1397-3B6B-47E0-B836-621653B4D36C.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Is there a retaining strap to secure the TV in the up position?  With the amount of bouncing present at the rear of a trailer where being towed, does the TV stay folded up ok?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, Nan said:

The Furrion television has been zapped with rain water from the Oliver sign (since repaired).  Jason said I could buy another 12VDC  19" TV that would  work boondocking  but that I could also buy a 120VAC TV that would only work if plugged into shore power. He said I could actually go to a 28" TV, but would need to check and make sure it would fit with the window shade and wall.  Has anyone actually replaced their television and could you please tell me what you bought?  Thanks.

I replaced the old-school Jensen 24" that was in my Ollie when bought it with a 34" LED. Would have rather went with a 32", but decided to use a spare TV that I wasn't using instead.  I did end up mounting it on a rail system so I could slide the TV back to the rear window when in the down position since it was way too far forward for my liking without it.  Pretty happy with it but still might downsize to a 32" when this one craps out.

IMG_20220401_092425350.jpg

IMG_20220401_092441742.jpg

• Like 2

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

33 minutes ago, CRM said:

I replaced the old-school Jensen 24" that was in my Ollie when bought it with a 34" LED. Would have rather went with a 32", but decided to use a spare TV that I wasn't using instead.  I did end up mounting it on a rail system so I could slide the TV back to the rear window when in the down position since it was way too far forward for my liking without it.  Pretty happy with it but still might downsize to a 32" when this one craps out.

IMG_20220401_092425350.jpg

IMG_20220401_092441742.jpg

What type of rail system did you use? That looks pretty interesting. 

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

10 minutes ago, Ollie-Haus said:

What type of rail system did you use? That looks pretty interesting. 

I used aluminum "T Track" designed for use in a router table.  Pretty sure this is the kit I used- Universal T-Track Kit

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

17 hours ago, CRM said:

I used aluminum "T Track" designed for use in a router table.  Pretty sure this is the kit I used- Universal T-Track Kit

That is a pretty nifty installation. I do wonder about the quality of the tracks, the Amazon page does not say what they are made of. One reviewer says they will collapse when bent. If that is true, a stronger material like 6061-T6 would prevent the TV from possibly tearing loose ;(

Can you show a pic of the inside of the cabinet where the rails attach? And one of the TV bracket?

How hard is it to get around the TV and out the rear emergency egress window?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

That is a pretty nifty installation. I do wonder about the quality of the tracks, the Amazon page does not say what they are made of. One reviewer says they will collapse when bent. If that is true, a stronger material like 6061-T6 would prevent the TV from possibly tearing loose ;(

Can you show a pic of the inside of the cabinet where the rails attach? And one of the TV bracket?

How hard is it to get around the TV and out the rear emergency egress window?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Don't know what type of aluminum they are made of, but they seem to be strong enough for this application. I've used it on several trips already and haven't noticed any bending of the channel lips that hold the bolt heads, but will keep an eye on that going forward.

Inside the cabinet I reused the original large metal plate that the factory TV was mounted to. Countersunk the track so the screw heads were recessed and then used lock nuts inside the cabinet. I think I used 6 per side. The TV bracket itself is the same one currently used by Oliver. I used the knobs included in the track kit to mount the TV mount so I'm able to adjust the mount tightness by hand. I'll get some better pics soon.

It's actually very easy to access the rear window in case of emergency. I can grab TV, pull it forward, and then slide it right off the track which gives me more room than if the TV was there in the folded up position. This is the main reason I didn't recess the channel into the cabinet which would have looked more aesthetically pleasing, but wouldn't allow such quick access to the rear window. 

My favorite part of this mod is that the TV can be slid almost to the back window and the seat space below is now usable with the TV down. Makes the space feel so much larger even though the TV is so much bigger than what was there. Almost like having a wall mounted TV.

• Like 6

Some more pictures of the track mount that show a little more detail. Painted the track with white epoxy enamel since last pics and it now blends in much better. The locknuts in the front of the mount are only adjusted once when installing and the two knobs in the back are used to lock the mount in place while traveling and then left slightly loose while in use to allow the easy removal of the TV and access to emergency window. Used a 4" wide piece of white rubberized tape on the back of the mount to prevent marring of the track and add additional grip when traveling.

TV mount.jpg

Mount bottom.jpg

• Like 4