Electric Outlets

Wondering if there are sufficient outlets in the Elite II, especially in the galley.  I can't seem to determine by looking at interior photos, where 110 outlets are located.  Could someone with a newer model tell me where they are installed.  

Also, is Oliver willing to add additional outlets and/or reposition them?   Please share your recommendations on where outlets should be located.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

15 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Wondering if there are sufficient outlets in the Elite II, especially in the galley.  I can't seem to determine by looking at interior photos, where 110 outlets are located.  Could someone with a newer model tell me where they are installed.  

Also, is Oliver willing to add additional outlets and/or reposition them?   Please share your recommendations on where outlets should be located.

We have a 2018, twin bed model. (Hull 414) and here's what we have in ours:

(1) above kitchen counter on bottom of cabinet,

(1) below curbside bed,

(1) inside rear overhead cabinet (above tv),

(1) below streetside bed,

(1) below dinette seat,

(1) below closet door,

(0) in bathroom since it's a wet-bath.

(1) outside on curbside,

There was a time when Oliver would add outlets but I doubt if they do it now.  I think they just starting making them standard based on what folks were asking for.

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

12 minutes ago, bhncb said:

In addition, there is an outlet in the hanging closet, in the overhead cabinet above refrigerator, and one on each side of the rear nightstand.

Right you are.  I missed those.  Let me update my list above.  Thanks.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

38 minutes ago, bhncb said:

In addition, there is an outlet ... in the overhead cabinet above refrigerator 

The outlet in the overhead cabinet is for the microwave. 

In the interests of a comprehensive list, there is another electric outlet behind the galley drawers, for the fridge's AC connection. Pictures on this thread

9 hours ago, hobo said:

There was a time when Oliver would add outlets but I doubt if they do it now. 

When we ordered our Ollie we had to pay extra to get additional outlets below the curbside bed and on the nightstand. But now they are standard.  

Edited by DavidS
  • Like 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

LEII Hull 635 delivered 6-10-20 has no outlets on the nightstand or under the beds unless you count the GFI located on the inverter in the space below the street side bed, which requires the access cover to be removed to use it!  There is one outlet at the dinette floor next to the bath ( you have the cord for your computer in your lap when you use it) and one in the overhead cabinet for the microwave, one for the refrigerator. The space between the sink and cooktop has one under the overhead cabinet.  The TV has one in the rear overhead cabinet, and one under the rear overhead for use on the nightstand, but it is on the street side corner and of course the weatherproof outside one.  When we ordered our Ollie we were told they were removing the outlets in the nightstand for safety inspection reasons, we did not expect the others to go away.  

Still it is a GREAT trailer and we love it already (five nights) !!!! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

This is a question where items evolve, over time. 

Rather than crowdsourcing,  asking your sales rep for current info, is probably best.

Our older 2008s had 3  110 outlets, I think. Plus one outside. TV, kitchen, under the  small dinette bench. Outside outlet under the awning, under waterproof cover. Oops, 4, if you had a microwave. As we did, originallly.

I'm sure things have probaly changed in 12+ years.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

12 hours ago, hobo said:

We have a 2018, twin bed model. (Hull 414) and here's what we have in ours:

(1) above kitchen counter on bottom of cabinet,

(1) below curbside bed,

(1) inside rear overhead cabinet (above tv),

(1) below streetside bed,

(1) below dinette seat,

(1) below closet door,

(0) in bathroom since it's a wet-bath.

(1) outside on curbside,

There was a time when Oliver would add outlets but I doubt if they do it now.  I think they just starting making them standard based on what folks were asking for.

Thanks for that info.  

That all seems fine except for the galley.  Where do you plug in an appliance, say a toaster/toaster oven/coffee maker/ or induction burner (just to name a few).

Is the tv plugged into the outlet in the overhead cabinet?

I guess you plug a hair dryer in the outlet under the closet and dry your hair in the bathroom door mirror?  Or under the dinette.

I am going to ask if they will move the outlet above where the microwave oven is installed (we are taking the microwave deletion option) down to inside the cabinet so it could be used for something

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

That all seems fine except for the galley.  Where do you plug in an appliance, say a toaster/toaster oven/coffee maker/ or induction burner (just to name a few).

I guess you plug a hair dryer in the outlet under the closet and dry your hair in the bathroom door mirror?  Or under the dinette.

The kitchen outlet under the overheads is where we plug in our coffee maker or any other appliance we might need to use.  Once used, they are unplugged and put away.  We don’t like clutter.

The TV isn’t 110V.

Carol dries her hair with the outlet outside the bathroom using the mirror on the outside of the bathroom door.  You could probably use the outlet under the dinette if you wanted to sit down and use a table top mirror to dry your hair.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

15 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Thanks for that info.  

I am going to ask if they will move the outlet above where the microwave oven is installed (we are taking the microwave deletion option) down to inside the cabinet so it could be used for something

Here's the situation with the galley outlet and how I resolved a cord length issue. This was the only inconvenience we encountered.

The TV is 12V so no plugin necessary. That outlet in the attic is intended to serve a satellite box if needed.

For us the hair dryer goes in the outlet below the closet door. I also have a short extension on this one, which raises it about 12 inches. We sometimes plug a small personal heater in and this gets it up above the floor the recommended minimum distance. 

I doubt Oliver will be receptive to moving an outlet inside the storage cabinet. There is too much potential for heat damage  or worse.

310AB91F-B6D0-4E1B-923D-0CECE256593C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The kitchen outlet under the overheads is where we plug in our coffee maker or any other appliance we might need to use.  Once used, they are unplugged and put away.  We don’t like clutter.

The TV isn’t 110V.

Carol dries her hair with the outlet outside the bathroom using the mirror on the outside of the bathroom door.  You could probably use the outlet under the dinette if you wanted to sit down and use a table top mirror to dry your hair.

TV runs directly off the batteries?  Not through the inverter?

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, bhncb said:

Here's the situation with the galley outlet and how I resolved a cord length issue. This was the only inconvenience we encountered.

The TV is 12V so no plugin necessary. That outlet in the attic is intended to serve a satellite box if needed.

For us the hair dryer goes in the outlet below the closet door. I also have a short extension on this one, which raises it about 12 inches. We sometimes plug a small personal heater in and this gets it up above the floor the recommended minimum distance. 

I doubt Oliver will be receptive to moving an outlet inside the storage cabinet. There is too much potential for heat damage  or worse.

310AB91F-B6D0-4E1B-923D-0CECE256593C.jpeg

Where did you find the short power strip?  did you fasten it with command velcro or something else?

Regarding the outlet above the microwave cabinet.  I saw in another post, that there is a cord port in the ceiling of the cabinet, presumably for the power cord when an oven is installed.  Is that port still there with the microwave deleted?  

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

On 6/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, Susan Huff said:

When placing our order we asked our sales person about custom changes regarding electrical outlets. The information we were told last January was that Oliver was no longer allowing custom changes.
You may want to check with Oliver Sales staff. 

-Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

TV runs directly off the batteries?  Not through the inverter?

The TV and the Furrion/Jensen radio/DVD are 12V, so they don’t run through the inverter.

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

The current way to get custom things done on your Oliver is to either:

1.  Talk to the Oliver Service department after (or even before) delivery.

2.  Hire someone local to do your bidding.

3.  Do the job yourself.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Where did you find the short power strip?  did you fasten it with command velcro or something else?

Regarding the outlet above the microwave cabinet.  I saw in another post, that there is a cord port in the ceiling of the cabinet, presumably for the power cord when an oven is installed.  Is that port still there with the microwave deleted?  

I found these power strips in the electrical department at a local Walmart. Not exactly sure where in the county I was but had to be either SD KY or VA. These are rated for 13 amps so they'll handle any appliance up to 1500 watts. But since the trailer circuit is only 15 amps, you really need to plan appliance usage when cooking.

The strip in the galley is attached with 3M VHB tape because I didn't plan on ever having to remove it. The other I put up with 3M Dual Lock strips so it can be removed if desired.  Also, the additional height provided by the closet door outlet strip does make using a hair dryer with 6' cord possible inside the bath. I have replaced the original mirror with a larger one however.

For the same reason I stated before, Oliver probably does not drill the hole for the cord pass-thru unless the microwave is being installed. In mine, it is just a rough drilled hole concealed by the mat in the overhead. It shouldn't be too difficult to do something a bit more finished looking.

Someone mentioned that their 2020 did not have outlets on the night stand or down low on the sides under the bunk  extensions. If these have in fact been deleted from later models, assuming it's a twin, I would make it clear to Oliver that the sale is dependent on them being added. I really find this unbelievable since we use these outlets continually more than any of the others. 

I have found no shortage of 120v outlets on our 2019 Elite II, but we carry an extra 25ft. ext. cord just in case it's needed.  Yes, the wife has found a use for it a couple of times, mostly for outside use. Remember your outside power post will in most cases have a  120v receptacle on it you can also use. The campground does not charge for a double hookup, haha. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I was looking for trailers in late 2015/early 2016 and I discovered Wincrasher’s 75 min video about his Oliver; That video was a big factor in my decision to get an Ollie! I also discovered his blog, where he complained about the electrical outlet above the kitchen

862582009_ScreenShot2020-06-16at4_11_27PM.thumb.png.b3ffc3711c464f323333743fe3ffb23a.png

I did not want the cords hanging down, and somewhere in my research I discovered Carlon pop-up receptacles, and similar from Amazon. I asked Oliver if they could put this into the kitchen, and said no because they thought it would interfere with the galley drawers. This was when Oliver was willing to do customization, which is a good business model; the three extra electrical outlets we had them put in as options cost us $110 each. 

I still think these type of retractable outlets would be excellent in the kitchen; there are GFCI versions. 

Outlet.thumb.jpg.b9bc60cd72044d9cfce87545931e82b4.jpg

Here is a photo of our toaster, plugged into the outlet we ordered below the curbside bed. 

IMG_3958.thumb.JPG.770c5347be24bb92da59b615fdc2a579.JPG

• Like 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I've always thought that was an oddball outlet, too.  But we have a fairly tall coffee maker that sits directly underneath, so it hides the outlet enough that I'm ok with it.  

I've always thought that the outlets in the nightstands were a bit strange too.  Useful location, but I don't like the idea of pillows and sheets stuffed up against electrical outlets.

I like the pop up idea.  I wonder also if you could find a low profile power strip and run it along the counter, wired through the microwave cabinet. 

Edited by Overland

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, TNsmokyMt said:

LEII Hull 635 delivered 6-10-20 has no outlets on the nightstand or under the beds unless you count the GFI located on the inverter in the space below the street side bed, which requires the access cover to be removed to use it!

Is this still the case on new builds? If so, does it only apply to the twin bed layout? Is the only remaining outlet in the bedroom area the one above the TV?

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

On 6/16/2020 at 5:51 AM, Mike and Carol said:

The TV and the Furrion/Jensen radio/DVD are 12V, so they don’t run through the inverter.

I was told the 2021 models will have a different make of TV/radio components.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderator+

Outlets are so easy to install, just do them yourself post delivery. Pick where you want them to be, cut a hole for a box, run the wires from the nearest outlet and Bob’s your uncle. Don’t worry about overloading a circuit, it won’t happen unless you try to run too many things at the same time. Just adding an extra outlet will not affect anything. 

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Customer: "So where do we plug our laptops in while we're in the bedroom?"

Sales guy: "Outlets are so easy to install, just do them yourself post delivery. Pick where you want them to be, cut a hole for a box, run the wires from the nearest outlet and Bob’s your uncle. Don’t worry about overloading a circuit, it won’t happen unless you try to run too many things at the same time. Just adding an extra outlet will not affect anything. "

Customer: "uhhh..."

😜I'll give the sales department a call today and try and get to the bottom of this. I'll update the thread when I know more.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators

I was told the 2021 models will have a different make of TV/radio components.

Regardless of make and model I don’t think Oliver would install 110V entertainment systems that you couldn’t run while boondocking except through an optional inverter.

• Like 1

So for those purchasing a 2020 you should have purchased a 2019, or older to get the extra outlets, plus you got to pay around $2000 more for your new trailer. All being said by 2025 there will be less and less as built, but expect to pay $5000 more then today's prices. The best thing about the Oliver is this helps with the resale value with the trailer going up year by year and if Oliver's continue to sell well, we have all made a good decision on our purchase.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.