Electric Outlets

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Trainman said:

So for those purchasing a 2020 you should have purchased a 2019, or older to get the extra outlets

I don’t think chastising folks who have just entered the market for a new trailer is helpful, 2020 is their only choice.  Putting that aside, if placement of electrical outlets is an essential feature for someone then they might want to look elsewhere.  I don’t know what the current options are for additional outlets, but like Steve said, it’s not rocket science to put one in.  We had a USB outlet installed in our nightstand and it took About 5  minutes.

The smart thing to do is call the Oliver sales team and ask.   Mike

Edited by Mike and Carol
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

36 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Putting that aside, if placement of electrical outlets is an essential feature for someone then they might want to look elsewhere.

I'm sure you know that there aren't too many places to go if you're already looking at an Oliver. We've looked at every other fiberglass RV manufacturer including NL's Boreal which doesn't even have molds yet. We almost took the huge risk of going with the new Happier Camper but couldn't pull the trigger even with the price being substantially less and the layout being better better (for us). The outlet situation is a little worse when you already have an order placed with them that includes a $9,000 solar/inverter system. I doubt we'll even use the TV or Stereo. All of those things have been replaced by our laptops which need 110. I don't see this trend going away any time soon. Hopefully the humor of suggesting someone cut into their new trailer to be able to use their inverter without running an extension cord from the ceiling isn't lost on anyone. 😃

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

6 minutes ago, Jairon said:

Hopefully the humor of suggesting someone cut into their new trailer to be able to use their inverter without running an extension cord from the ceiling isn't lost on anyone. 😃

I had already drilled two holes in mine before I left Oliver's parking lot.  

😂

Edited by Overland

5 minutes ago, Overland said:

I had already drilled two holes in mine before I left Oliver's parking lot.  

I get that we'll need to do it eventually. We will be replacing the Zamp controller at some point. I'm just saying that it is a pretty big omission on any trailer let alone one at this price point.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

1 hour ago, Trainman said:

So for those purchasing a 2020 you should have purchased a 2019, or older to get the extra outlets, plus you got to pay around $2000 more for your new trailer. All being said by 2025 there will be less and less as built, but expect to pay $5000 more then today's prices. The best thing about the Oliver is this helps with the resale value with the trailer going up year by year and if Oliver's continue to sell well, we have all made a good decision on our purchase.

trainman

Can someone with a 2020 model EII  tell me the number and location of 120v outlets in the Twin floorplan.  Anyone with a 2021 yet?  Same question.  Thanks.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

12 minutes ago, Overland said:

I'm unclear what the omission is.

It sounds like Oliver removed the standard 110 outlets below the twin bets leaving only the kitchen 110 and the attic 110 in the rear of the trailer. We work remotely so a laptop being plugged in for a very large portion of the day is a big deal. A laptop is basically our TV as well.

13 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Can someone with a 2020 model EII  tell me the number and location of 120v outlets in the Twin floorplan.  Anyone with a 2021 yet?  Same question.  Thanks.

I have a call with my sales agent in an hour and I'll let you know what they tell me.

• Thanks 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

The outlet omissions are most likely a stopgap until the AC layout can be redesigned. As it was, in pre 2020 model years, the outlet devices used could too easily be overloaded, creating a potential fire hazard. The obvious quick-fix was to reduce the number of outlets by 50%.

Since the outlet on the inverter is only powered while on battery, seems to me it's not that usable. Do the Freedom XC inverter/charger used in later models even have an outlet or are they hard-wired?  For laptops, I always carry an auto charging cord.  There are plenty of 12V outlets throughout, unless this has also changed.

• Like 1

OK, I missed that.  If they've removed both the nightstand outlets and the ones under the beds, then yes, that qualifies as just outright stupid.  They need to have at least one floor level outlet within easy reach of the bed area.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jairon said:

I'm sure you know that there aren't too many places to go if you're already looking at an Oliver.

The point I was trying to make is that installing an outlet isn’t difficult and shouldn’t be a deal breaker.  Encouraging folks not to buy an Oliver isn’t my thing, I understand the market.  I’ll try to be more clear with my “tongue in cheek” comments.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

The point I was trying to make is that installing an outlet isn’t difficult and shouldn’t be a deal breaker.  Encouraging folks not to buy an Oliver isn’t my thing, I understand the market.  I’ll try to be more clear with my “tongue in cheek” comments.

You're good. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. 😃

12 minutes ago, bhncb said:

The outlet omissions are most likely a stopgap until the AC layout can be redesigned. As it was, in pre 2020 model years, the outlet devices used could too easily be overloaded, creating a potential fire hazard. The obvious quick-fix was to reduce the number of outlets by 50%.

Since the outlet on the inverter is only powered while on battery, seems to me it's not that usable. Do the Freedom XC inverter/charger used in later models even have an outlet or are they hard-wired?  For laptops, I always carry an auto charging cord.  There are plenty of 12V outlets throughout, unless this has also changed.

Good info! Thank you!

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderators

Edit:  I see others have responded while I was composing this post.  And yes I had to unload the groceries and take out the garbage and I’ll admit to not multi tasking very well.

For the newcomers, let me begin by saying that I am an Oliver Fanboy.  I may not be #1 but I’m probably in the top 10.  So now that you know where I am coming from, please don’t be offended because none is intended.  
I certainly understand that not everyone is a handyman capable of doing some of the modifications that are discussed on this forum, but there are plenty of owners that are and will assist in any way possible.  Just ask Jan, who bought a used OTT with no RV experience at all and I don’t believe she every drove a truck either much less towed a trailer of any sort.  And trying very hard to remain a gentleman, I won’t guess her age because she told us while having dinner at the 2019 Oliver Owners Rally and I forgot it.  And I don’t know the whole story, but I do believe some forum members helped deliver the trailer to her and they and other members helped her with towing lessons.

And I would guess that if someone camped next to you and they didn’t know how to connect a sewer hose or back into to their camping spot or any of the other things that come up while camping, you or any of us would offer to help in any way we could.

I believe this forum has a wealth of information and knowledge regarding OTT's from the ground up.  What I don’t think it has is very much information on the latest trailers being made or to be made.  So I think the best place for those questions are with the Oliver sales team.  If there are items such as electrical outlets for instance, that are not in the location you want them, then the service department might be able to accommodate you needs.  And if they can’t, stop by and we'll figure it out.
So keep your questions coming because for me, communicating about OTT’s is almost as much fun as using it.

Mossey

• Like 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

That other owner would be me!!!  Yep, never driven a truck or pulled a trailer of any kind. Also haven't camped in at least 50 years.  But, I love my Oliver (hull #267).  Bought it used from two ladies that brought it to me. It was a beauty, oh and it still is.  Still figuring things out but it is getting easier. This forum has helped me out so many time it is unreal!  Also have been to Steve and Tali's house for installation of the slide in the Tundra and by the way, I bought the Tundra from and Oliver owner I met at the rally last year.  This is just one big happy family!!!  LOL.  And I enjoyed eating dinner with you and Krunch last year. Hopefully we will run into each other again.  Nan Wallace - probably one of the oldest members at 73 years old...again LOL.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bhncb said:

In our current RV (LTV Unity motorhome),  all outlets work on 120v, including the inverted plugs.  I'm not certain if the setup is the same.  On our RV, the inverter has an on/off switch.

Regarding computer power: we have a 400w portable inverter that plugs into 12v socket.  We use it in our vehicles for power.  Would this work for computer?  Where are 12v plugs located?

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Overland said:

OK, I missed that.  If they've removed both the nightstand outlets and the ones under the beds, then yes, that qualifies as just outright stupid.  They need to have at least one floor level outlet within easy reach of the bed area.  

Where do those with C-Paps plug in?

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

5 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

In our current RV (LTV Unity motorhome),  all outlets work on 120v, including the inverted plugs.  I'm not certain if the setup is the same.  On our RV, the inverter has an on/off switch.

Regarding computer power: we have a 400w portable inverter that plugs into 12v socket.  We use it in our vehicles for power.  Would this work for computer?  Where are 12v plugs located?

The inverter outlet being discussed here is the main  AC output of the inverter that feeds the remaining trailer outlets through a transfer switch. This switch is activated when it senses that the inverter is outputting AC  i.e. powered on. 

Yes. I also carry a small 350 watt pure sine wave inverter for other deices that don't have a DC cord. It's just not as convenient to use.

On my 2018, 12V outlets are: One below aft dinette seat near PDC and LP/CO detector. One each overhead, above the forward end of the bunks. One each on either side of the nightstand beside the AC outlets. There is another one that is integral to the optional omni antenna power supply. Noter that this one is only rated for 7.5-8 amps (In spite of the 20 amp fuse Oliver installed in mine)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Where do those with C-Paps plug in?

Check your machine to see if it doesn't actually run off of 12V DC through a power supply brick. I just looked at one that requires about 6.5 amps at 12V. If so, a DC cord should be available. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bhncb said:

Check your machine to see if it doesn't actually run off of 12V DC through a power supply brick. I just looked at one that requires about 6.5 amps at 12V. If so, a DC cord should be available. 

We don't use C-Pap.  Just wondering ☺️

Ray and Susan Huff

27 minutes ago, bhncb said:

The inverter outlet being discussed here is the main  AC output of the inverter that feeds the remaining trailer outlets through a transfer switch. This switch is activated when it senses that the inverter is outputting AC  i.e. powered on. 

Yes. I also carry a small 350 watt pure sine wave inverter for other deices that don't have a DC cord. It's just not as convenient to use.

On my 2018, 12V outlets are: One below aft dinette seat near PDC and LP/CO detector. One each overhead, above the forward end of the bunks. One each on either side of the nightstand beside the AC outlets. There is another one that is integral to the optional omni antenna power supply. Noter that this one is only rated for 7.5-8 amps (In spite of the 20 amp fuse Oliver installed in mine)

Are you saying the inverter has an on/off switch?

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, bhncb said:

Do the Freedom XC inverter/charger used in later models even have an outlet or are they hard-wired?

Looking at the datasheet for the XC Pro, you can hard-wire or install a 20 AMP GFCI outlet in the front of the unit. I have no info yet from sales; waiting on a call back.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Moderator+
4 hours ago, Jairon said:

Customer: "So where do we plug our laptops in while we're in the bedroom?"

Sales guy: "Outlets are so easy to install, just do them yourself post delivery. Pick where you want them to be, cut a hole for a box, run the wires from the nearest outlet and Bob’s your uncle. Don’t worry about overloading a circuit, it won’t happen unless you try to run too many things at the same time. Just adding an extra outlet will not affect anything. "

Customer: "uhhh..."

😜I'll give the sales department a call today and try and get to the bottom of this. I'll update the thread when I know more.

Jairon, I'm not a sales guy or an Oliver employee, just a long time happy owner attempting to offer you good advice and an easy, logical alternative to your problem. I can tell you that Oliver will not add any personal options during your build.  They will, however, add them after the fact in the service department. This will cost extra. I understand that it seems counter productive (from a customer's viewpoint) to do it that way, but it is the business model that Oliver has adopted and they stand firmly behind it.

I spoke with one of the sales personnel at the factory this morning. It appears that in the 2020 models all the 120v outlets that were down low at the rear on previous models were removed. Why...??? They were replaced with one 120v outlet on the underside of the attic storage area on one side and a 12v (USB?) "charging station" on the other side.

The word on the street is there will be a different arrangement in the 2021 models but, it is as yet undetermined.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

9 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Jairon, I'm not a sales guy or an Oliver employee

I didn't think you were an employee. I thought that the juxtaposition of your quote with something sales might say was too funny to go unsaid. 😁 I appreciate the info though!

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser