What would you change?

Mrfleck

Hello everyone. I am in the process of looking for our next trailer and I am convinced it is going to be an Oliver, I just don't know when yet. I think it is almost a perfect trailer, but there are a few things that I would love to change and I would love to see Oliver make an option. Here are the items I would like to change to make my perfect camper. Lithium was top of my list, but they are offering that now which is great.

1. Awning style windows. This is actually almost a deal-breaker for me, but I hear they are working on it. Maybe it will be an option next year. I do not see them as an option on the 2021 build sheet. 

2. Ducted A/C

3. Compressor Refrigerator

4. Gas Oven option - Less of an issue with lithium and the convection oven but it is nice to be able to bake with propane when conserving batteries

5. Truma Combi instead of a furnace and water heater. We had a truma combi in our last rv and it is amazing. Dead silent, 90% efficient etc. I have not heard the heater in the Oliver, so it might be really quiet and this is a non-issue. Most trailer I have been in, the heat is loud.  

Maybe these things are not a big deal as I have never seen one in person. We are in AK and they have not been able to find one for us to look at. 

Since you have owned an Oliver, what would you change if you had complete control over the manufacturing process? Am I missing anything big on my list that is a pet peeve etc. ? Are there things on my list that just aren't a big deal? 

Thank you for your thoughts in advance. 

Mike

The nice thing about the Oliver, if there is something you don’t like on the trailer, change it. Most of the mods are simple, and there are a lot of mod suggestions and changes to the Oliver on the forum.  

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Mrfleck said:

1. Awning style windows. This is actually almost a deal-breaker for me, but I hear they are working on it. Maybe it will be an option next year. I do not see them as an option on the 2021 build sheet. 

2. Ducted A/C

3. Compressor Refrigerator

4. Gas Oven option - Less of an issue with lithium and the convection oven but it is nice to be able to bake with propane when conserving batteries

5. Truma Combi instead of a furnace and water heater. We had a truma combi in our last rv and it is amazing. Dead silent, 90% efficient etc. I have not heard the heater in the Oliver, so it might be really quiet and this is a non-issue. Most trailer I have been in, the heat is loud.  

There are a number of threads on the forum that talk about desired modifications.  Recently, there was one about designing a larger trailer, sort of an Elite III.  But, since we’re talking about the current model here are my thoughts-

1. The current windows are fine.  If available I would probably go with windows with awnings.

2. The A/C is something I would definitely change.  The current Dometic is much too loud.  We use it only as a last resort and then shut if off as soon as the outside temperature allows.  A ducted system would probably result in quieter operation.  If ducting could be routed in the middle of the ceiling then you wouldn’t have to sacrifice space in the side overhead storage.

3. Our fridge is fine.  It is pretty efficient on propane.  We never run it on 12V.

4. I don’t t think we’d use an oven.  The trailer isn’t too big and it seems that it would heat up the interior quite a bit.  We mostly grill outside and sometimes use the gas cooktop.

5.  I have no Truma experience.  The Truma Combi sounds nice.  The current propane furnace works well.  I wouldn’t say it is loud but it does wake me up sometimes when it cycles on.  We only use it if we don’t have 30a, otherwise we just use a small Vornado heater that is very quiet.  We have the standard hot water tank and it works well for us.

Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I will search around a little on the forum, thank you for letting me know about those threads. We had a really loud A/C in our last RV and like you, it was last resort. I see your point on the oven. I have no problem changing things that don't work, it just ends up costing extra to do things like change out the A/C or fridge. If they did a ducted version it might even open up the option of a skylight where the A/C is now and it would be much quieter. A Truma-Combi would be the perfect fit for the Oliver and it would open up quite a bit of storage space. The combi is not much bigger than their water heater and you get both with zero sound. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mrfleck said:

...If they did a ducted version (ac) it might even open up the option of a skylight where the A/C is now and it would be much quieter. A Truma-Combi would be the perfect fit for the Oliver and it would open up quite a bit of storage space. The combi is not much bigger than their water heater and you get both with zero sound. 

Dometic sells a number of more innovative, more quiet products in markets outside North America. Their Freshlight ac has an integrated skylight, with shade, ac, and a heat pump. Not available here. Pricey in Europe. 

I can only hope the US will see some more innovative ac products in the near future. Most of what is available here is noisy and inefficient,  imo. I'd love to see a danfoss/secop 12 volt unit, like some trucks have. Or even some of the more innovative, less power hungry units sold in Europe and Australia, like the Dometic Freshjet and Harrier.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Oliver offer the Truma Combi someday, if enough people ask for it, since they've been installing the Truma water heater for years, as an option. From what I've read,  it's a really nice system. You're the first person that I can recall, on this board, with experience with it.

Unfortunately,  Truma won't support warranty issues on a non-OEM install of a Combi. There are some units floating around through secondary sources (probably from the Hymer factory shutdown?), but you're on your own if you buy and install aftermarket.

Truma also recently started selling a "quiet" more traditional furnace in the US, the Varioheat. I talked to our local Truma office on Lakeland about it last year. A nice feature is a very quiet sleep mode.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Atwood Air Command is very quiet and more efficient than the standard Dometic units.  Unfortunately, it appears that Dometic is slowly phasing them out, but there are still a few units available.  We have one in our MBS motorhome and we love it.  https://www.allrv.com/air-command-16k-btu-rv-ac

Based on all of the complaints, I am planning a swap as soon as we get our Oliver next month. 

The Atwood is not low profile, but that is not really an issue for me.

• Moderator+
10 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

There are a number of threads on the forum that talk about desired modifications.  Recently, there was one about designing a larger trailer, sort of an Elite III.  But, since we’re talking about the current model here are my thoughts-

1. The current windows are fine.  If available I would probably go with windows with awnings.

2. The A/C is something I would definitely change.  The current Dometic is much too loud.  We use it only as a last resort and then shut if off as soon as the outside temperature allows.  A ducted system would probably result in quieter operation.  If ducting could be routed in the middle of the ceiling then you wouldn’t have to sacrifice space in the side overhead storage.

3. Our fridge is fine.  It is pretty efficient on propane.  We never run it on 12V.

4. I don’t t think we’d use an oven.  The trailer isn’t too big and it seems that it would heat up the interior quite a bit.  We mostly grill outside and sometimes use the gas cooktop.

5.  I have no Truma experience.  The Truma Combi sounds nice.  The current propane furnace works well.  I wouldn’t say it is loud but it does wake me up sometimes when it cycles on.  We only use it if we don’t have 30a, otherwise we just use a small Vornado heater that is very quiet.  We have the standard hot water tank and it works well for us.

Mike

What Mike said. And, thanks Mike, for composing exactly what I was thinking. The only caveat that I would add is: In creating ducted A/C system (as cool as it is [pun]) would be difficult, if not downright impossible, with the current upper body shell configuration. It would have to be completely redesigned to accommodate the ducting.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: it’s absolutely asinine that, as manufactured, you have to open the basement door to pull the dump valves and if it’s raining water runs off the roof onto the open basement door. I know you can add auto drain valves and do other mods to get around this but this design should never have made it into production. And yes, it’s raining right now and I’m having to dump my tanks. 

Edited to add: Even though this is bothersome, I still wouldn’t trade my Oliver for another RV 🙂

spacer.png

5AC1AC95-7863-4193-9047-CF88EDEA1F62.jpeg

Edited by Townesw
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

I did this simple mod Access port only for the grey valve to keep open while parked instead of having the entire basement door open.  I thought of a small access door for both valves. So far this set up is working great.  Sorry i deleted the photos from my phone. I believe they are still posted under mods. Somewhere?

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I think this is the thread you’re talking about - 

An additional trick that I thought of before doing mine - if you tape a thumb tack to the center of the handle and pull the handle out just enough, then you can close the hatch and the tack will mark the center of the handle in the insulation on the back of the door. Then you can drill a small pilot hole from the back and your hole will be perfectly centered on the handle. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, Mike and Carol said:

Mike

My thoughts:

Windows: our current RV has frameless awning windows, which look "really cool" and can be used when it's raining.  However, they do not ventilate as well as sliding windows which is crucial to control humidity inside the trailer.  I asked Oliver how the progress was going on offering awning windows.  Seems the problem is getting awning windows that will work with the double hull construction.

Ducted AC: we have this in our van and it is still noisy.  We use ours, only when necessary, to cool the interior before bedtime.  We turn it on and go outside until it cools enough to sleep.  Once the cabin is cooled down, you can use the fan on a low speed, which is much quieter.  I expect the Oliver's insulation will help as well.

Fridge: There is nothing "fine" about absorption fridges; Compressor type would only work for us if we had shore power all the time.  Not many choices with RV fridges, so we make do.  There are tricks and suggestions to make them function better.

Oven: we are opting for no microwave.  The additional storage area will be more useful, and I can learn to live without a microwave.  We had an oven in a 5th-wheel - probably used it 2 times.  We have a Breville Mini-Smart toaster oven that we will carry for longer trips.  The nice thing is, it can be set up outside so you don't heat up the trailer.  It will require 120v or generator to operate.

Truma: we have a Truma Comfort Plus in our current RV, which is nice, but has it's downside - mainly the lack of availability of service centers that can perform warranty work.  We don't have experience with the Combi, but I would be hesitant to put "all my eggs in one basket", so to speak.

Until we have an Oliver of our own, I can't add anything to the list, other than it would be nice if the areas under the beds and dinette were more useful for storage.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 6/20/2020 at 3:27 PM, Townesw said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: it’s absolutely asinine that, as manufactured, you have to open the basement door to pull the dump valves and if it’s raining water runs off the roof onto the open basement door. I know you can add auto drain valves and do other mods to get around this but this design should never have made it into production. And yes, it’s raining right now and I’m having to dump my tanks. 

spacer.png

5AC1AC95-7863-4193-9047-CF88EDEA1F62.jpeg

Maybe the Oliver should come with an umbrella? 😀

• Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

The whole basement area could stand some additional development, from the door to the placement of the valve knobs to the way it’s finished out. You’ll need to get some EPDM foam and seal the front lower corner to prevent road spray from entering. This won’t keep all of the spray out, or keep road grit out of the door hinge, but it will help. 

Before

F922E0D1-914B-44E9-A5F6-73213BA46273.jpeg  

After

CE37AD36-2733-40AF-9B1A-3182A802BC0E.jpeg

Go ahead and remove the insulation and repaint the inside of the door. The insulation keeps the water that gets behind it from drying quickly. The Valterra handles were rubbing the bottom of the recessed handle box and I had read where a couple of people had broken the original handles so I went ahead and replaced mine with stainless steel knobs. 

Also cut a piece of something like this, I used a piece of PEX tubing

269AFA94-DA65-4B27-BD21-25F25583A045.jpeg

And keep it handy to use to hold the license plate door open when you need to remove the spare tire cover or wash behind the license plate. I keep mine just inside the basement door.  Back when the gas cap on cars was located under the license plate you would put the gas cap here to hold the plate open while you filled the gas tank. 

781F8EA9-EABF-43E6-B281-302C8783F7C4.jpeg

I hope these tips are useful. 

Bill

Edited by Townesw
  • Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators
On 6/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, Mike and Carol said:

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Fridge: There is nothing "fine" about absorption fridges;

Our fridge is fine.  It has run continuously for 4 and half years.  No fails.  Worked on propane boondocking at 9,000+ feet.  If we’re not boondocking it is on shore power.  Haven’t used 12V.  I know there are better options out there, but our fridge has been a reliable appliance.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Interesting posts: 

I am satisfied with my Dometic fridge - it has done just fine the last many trips, it was the first few that set me against the darn thing. 

The AC - as stated by others - and move it to the front of the trailer, just aft of the bath wall.

Option with compost toilet, black tank delete, larger grey water and fresh water tanks.

Option those cool Aussie off road running gear. Can't recall the brand.

and that's about it.

Currently parked on a bluff overlooking the Dinosaur/Vernal valley, just biding the day away....

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BackofBeyond said:

Currently parked on a bluff overlooking the Dinosaur/Vernal valley, just biding the day away....

There are those that won’t believe you until you add a picture!  We’re headed to AZ and CO the end of July, save us a spot.  Mike

One thing I would like to see improved is better between the hull heating, especially the lower hull where all of the vulnerable plumbing resides.

One idea I thought may help is moving the return air vent for the furnace as far away from the furnace as I can place it. So as the furnace cycles on and off, hopefully some of the warmer cabin air would be drawn down between the hulls on its way back to the furnace. Even if the temperature wasn't raised a whole lot, just having the movement of air down there would be very helpful. On our Elite1, the return air vent is located under the front dinette seat which is also where the furnace is, so this offers no help.  Think it might work?

The AC really needs to be worked over. It's loud to the point that we don't use it. Plus it's just way oversized for our trailer.
Hope everyone is staying well!

Dave

• Like 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

My take. 

1. Can't stand the existing windows. Had tip out awning style when we owned our T@b which were way better IMO. Better ventilation, could be open in torrential downpours and they shed water considerably better with no maintenance compared to the sliding windows now being used. In fact I wouldn't mind having those poly-carbonate type of windows. FWIW in 8 years of ownership they still were not scratched up. 

2. Fridge, speaking of the T@b once again it came with a compressor fridge. Hated it. It was loud, very loud. If you can't sleep with a forced air furnace running the 12 volt compressor fridge takes it up a few more notches. Plus it uses lots of 12 volt power to run. I have no complaints what so ever with the Dometic installed in the Oliver. I've never understood why people do not like absorption fridges. 

3. I agree with others draining the fresh water tank is a slow chore, this could be improved. 

4. AC, we've never turned ours on, don't plan to either and its the original Coleman which is really loud. 

5. Black and gray tank drain, hadn't thought much about it until now but as others have mentioned placement could have been better thought out.

6. Heat. we have the Suburban that came on earlier models, hull #70. Being an early adopter one can only describe it as being a major PITA to work on. As I understand it all of these types of heaters are only about 40% efficient. This is 2020 and no excuse for such outdated technology but the RV industry in general being what it is, is also way behind the times in this regard. I would replace it for a truly quiet and energy efficient heating system in a heartbeat. We have a combi system in our house, hot water heat and hot water all on the same unit and while it has had repairs over the years the issue of having all of your eggs in one hot basket of water has never been an issue yet. They system was installed over 20 years ago and by modern standards its also way out of date but still works fine. I would love the idea of a condenser hot water heating system.

7. Maintenance free axels. You got to be kidding, once again its 2020 and your axels and associated suspension have to be serviced every 3,000 miles. 

Thanks

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

• 2 weeks later...

Our only suggestion is to update the A/C to a wisper quiet one.   Oliver has done a wonderful job of building a super quite trailer, which all goes out the window when the A/C is used.  

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

The digital Oliver service manuals and Oliver "how-to" videos (Oliver library) are great, but, can only be viewed with internet connectivity to the outside world.  Put onto a DVD, especially the "how-to" videos, and provide with Oliver purchase.  For existing owners, I would buy a DVD. I believe the DVD player and television work on battery power?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

An additional wish list item, a propane monitor for the propane tanks.  Also, living in FL and camping a lot in the southeast, quieting the loud AC is definitely my main wish list item. 

• Like 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

1 hour ago, KWRJRPE said:

An additional wish list item, a propane monitor for the propane tanks.  Also, living in FL and camping a lot in the southeast, quieting the loud AC is definitely my main wish list item. 

We have the Mopeka Tank Check Sensors. You can either monitor with their standalone monitor or your phone.  Most of the negative reviews deal with the standoff spacers supplied, so we installed the Halos.  We even went one step further and installed the WiFi gateway - which means we can watch the propane even when we are away. Our Ollie has TMobile installed in the outdoor WiFi Ranger and a Verizon JetPack - so it generally has WiFi anyplace we leave it for longer times.

Edited by WhatDa

Between Olivers…

4 hours ago, WhatDa said:

We have the Mopeka Tank Check Sensors. You can either monitor with their standalone monitor or your phone.  Most of the negative reviews deal with the standoff spacers supplied, so we installed the Halos.  We even went one step further and installed the WiFi gateway - which means we can watch the propane even when we are away. Our Ollie has TMobile installed in the outdoor WiFi Ranger and a Verizon JetPack - so it generally has WiFi anyplace we leave it for longer times.

Will 30# tanks fit in the LP storage space when the Halo spacers are used?

Ray and Susan Huff